Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Author Avatar
"His Ignorance The Dalai Lama's diet" - praised & appreciated by the meat & poultry industry!

www.meatpoultry.com/news/focus.asp

The Tao of Meat
Guess who's a carnivore?

(MEATPOULTRY.com, October 26, 2007)
by Steve Bjerklie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the Dalai Lama met President Bush in the White House a few weeks ago, the two dined on a food both of them love: meat. It turns out His Holiness has a taste for protein from animals.

This may come as a shock to the people who interpret the Dalai Lama's gentle philosophy of tolerance as applying most especially to vegetarians and animal-lovers and definitely not to steak-eaters and chicken-consumers.

But when he visited Madison, Wis., on an earlier visit to the U.S. this year, caterers expecting to prepare a large vegetarian feast for His Holiness were advised by his staff members to prepare a menu that included stuffed pheasant breast, slow-cooked veal roast (supplied by Strauss Veal) with scalded morels and escarole, and an asparagus soup with a chicken stock base. The appetizers included cured fish.

And in June, the Dalai Lama, who is the exiled spiritual leader of Tibet and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, perhaps remembering both the delicious food in the American Midwest as well as its evening irritations, commented in a speech given in Perth, Australia, that he holds unconditional love for all creatures – except mosquitoes.

He told his Down Under audience that eliminating hunger and poverty rank among the highest responsibilities of developed nations toward developing nations – and that the effort begins at home. Poverty, the Dalai Lama said, "is a serious problem in the United States. It is the most powerful nation and even the capital Washington has many poor people. So this gap is not only morally wrong but practically also because it is the source of problems. It can bring anger, which brings violence, and that is wrong. Richer families must please pay more attention to their poorer brothers and sisters. They must work hard, too."

His Holiness added: "I have said that if you are hungry meditation alone will never fill your stomach. Richer countries must contribute the resources needed for the poorer countries to work hard."

Responses (4)

Report Abuse

Posted by Stig at 11/07/07 00:24:49

The Dalai Lama would do well to adjust his thinking.

His unfortunate dietary choices will cause many animals to suffer & die.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 11/07/07 02:03:19

"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity."

- a quote from George Bernard Shaw

This Dalai Lama's love of meat brings such joy to the meat / diary industry.

Report Abuse

Posted by vesalius123 at 11/07/07 14:25:52

Then again the world's main organised religions tend towards keeping people happily ignorant as they try so hard to tell their followers that they are superior to animals and the other races of the world.

Report Abuse

Posted by Gorgeous at 11/08/07 07:22:40

I could not believe this at first - then I did I little "Googling" - this Lama character is actually demoniac!

Eating veal calves! - it is little wonder that the war criminal / proponent of torture George Bush bestowed honors on him recently!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support