Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Author Avatar
We had dinner at a relatives place this year so I brought along a Tofurky roast with my own Mushroom and apple gravy, all nicely sliced and served.

Dinner was served buffet style, and as we were going around the table, one person heard me mention that it was Tofurky and they said "Oh I am so glad you told me - I almost had some"

Is this a normal reaction?

Responses (13)

• Report Abuse

Posted by SoccerMom at 12/26/07 18:23:07

Yes it seems to be a normal reaction!! And I don't really understand why??

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 12/26/07 20:59:04

You should say that about meat products. Oh, that has meat in it? I almost had some! phew!

Yes, this is normal, it is an ignorant response.

• Report Abuse

Posted by SynthVegan at 12/26/07 23:53:21

Yeah I agree with Tatiana. People are just afraid of the "unknown" regarding Vegetarian products. What's funny though, is that they don't know what they're eating when consuming meat. To me, that's scary; thank you for telling me because I almost had some…bacteria, hormones, parasites, cholesterol, etc.

I hope you enjoyed your yummy Tofurky!!!

Report Abuse

Posted by Ventguy at 12/27/07 12:44:51

Synthebm - I did enjoy my Tofurky and my homemeade gravy. Not for vegans, but it is simply cream of mushroom soup with chopped green apples and walnuts.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aardy at 01/06/08 01:44:44

Your Tofurky and gravy sounds absolutly delicious. I have found tempeh mocks the texture of meat and has a bit more flavor of its own than tofu. What I have found is that among my friends and family more and more people have special diet needs. In fact, it has become a major challenge, as a hostess, to accommodate all the special dietary needs. I cooked for 12 people at Christmas and one had severe wheat allergy, another was diabetic, another was allergic to any hint of shellfish, one was vegan and I am vegetarian.
    With that many of us not eating all that is traditional, no one was asking silly questions. I think this will become more and more common. In fact, when I send out an invitation for a dinner party now I always ask if there are any special dietary needs. I've come to appreciate that when my friends and family cook for me.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AlmostVeggie at 01/06/08 20:46:47

I'm just curious, what does Tofurky taste like?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Healthy at 01/07/08 15:38:37

I've always wanted to try a Tofurky!

This weekend I tried a vegan blueberry pie and served it at a party. It was fabulous and went over really well.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/07/08 17:16:31

I really like the Tofurkey Italian sausage but I recently got the kielbasa and didn't care for it. One of the nice things about this brand is the firm texture of the sausage.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 01/19/08 09:59:30

I get quite anally retentive about vegetarian mock meats. For me they are such a treat and rarity that when I do cook something like Veggie hot dogs or a tasty Quorn lamb style roast - I'm loathe to share them with my meat eater friends.

• Report Abuse

Posted by katinjap at 01/25/08 22:53:03

That made me laugh out loud as it is so typical of what one of my friends would say!

I did however have a whole party eating vege sausage rolls without realising once. When I told them they begrudgingly admitted how good they were!

America sounds pretty on to it with mock meats. In New Zealand there is not half as big a range it seems...

• Report Abuse

Posted by sussexbunny at 01/26/08 04:01:08

Last year we were invited to spend Xmas dinner with friends, 10 of us in all at table.I took nut roasts and gravy and stuffing and so on. Seemed to be cooking for a week!When it all came to the table they all piled their flesh on their plates and then proceeded to top up with ours, Which was a great compliment except that there was hardly any left for us, at which point we were offered some turkey.
    Think they missed the point!!

Needless to say, we had Christmas at home this year.

Cant get Tofurkey in the UK, I dont think. It sounds good.

Bun xx

• Report Abuse

Posted by Terry B. at 01/26/08 12:11:36

Perhaps it was against his religion to eat Tofurky?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Alexandra Morrison at 02/11/08 10:50:44

I've fooled carnivorous friends with Tofurky. I had a BBQ and served it to carnivores, and they ate it up. I never told them, because they're adamant that all vegan food is 'what food eats, and it tastes crappy." I just sit tight, and get the greatest delight watching them chew and obnoxiously savor what they believe to be meat!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support