HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

HI I would love any tips to getting a few kg's off.
Today i ate when i was hungry, till i wasn't ...
that is not my usual approach i think i would more often have a big meal sometimes to not be hungry later... but that doesn't seem to work.

can i say what i had today for some feedback pls?
I'll estimate the calories i worked out but i might not remember it perfectly

2270 seemed right

-I had 33g oatmeal
-50 g raisins
-2 tbsp sugar
-water 380 kcal

-vegan amino acid shake with small cup of
-blackberries and a med/ large banana and 1/2 tsp sugary vanilla paste 200 kcal

-marinated tofu 360 kcal

-4 mushrooms
-portion of green beans
-1 level tsp vegan spread
-1/2 courgette
-1 small tangerine 200 kcal

-peanut butter on one piece of bread 400 kcal

-omega's
-vit D
-beta carotine
-"green powder" (raspberry ketones, spirulina etc) in a splash of -orange juice 70 kcal

a 100 kcal fruit drink

50g nearly (OMG) of vegan chilli chocolate 300kcal

small amount of almond milk in tea (3 - 4 cups of tea) 100 kcal
sucralose

green tea

-1 tbsp olive oil

-2 tbsp apple sauce with sultanas, cinnamon and sugar 150 kcal
I'm obese BMI 31

I swam intensely for half an hour and biked on my electric bike for an hour.

I've been hungry on and off, nothing unmanageable I estimate 2260 kcal or just over.

That has got to be too much for a diet.

?

Really will need help with getting started and eating safely

I can't imagine giving up sugar.

I can't imagine being comfortable eating omnivorously at the minute

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Cloud-Dog at 10/06/14 10:32:30

HI
    I am wondering if this post asks a bit much of people.

more that in general i am finding my appetite quite big after going vegetarian, with aspirations towards getting my shopping right and reading more labels to go vegan

I'm sure that there is a lot to be said for getting enough nutrients and protein as long as you eat adequate kcal that should be fine i have heard.

But I tend to eat about 450 kcal of "junk" like vegan raw chocolate covered goji berries or a bar of chilli vegan chocolate and a couple of mini energy balls.

and I think i hit 2300 - 2450 each day

I've gained weight recently. i just want to control my food intake and go vegan, but my planning seems to be a bit off.
    I've been buying random stuff by the shed load and trying it all and not being fluent yet, I've bought the wrong thing a few times, and made a couple of exceptions for different reasons

I want to go more carefully, and i will just have to go back to reading labels, i just remember how disheartening it was to read labels and find nothing suitable, when i was vegan for 6 months

There is a new health shop in town which has great vegan stuff... very new and very good news

• Report Abuse

Posted by J and J at 10/08/14 09:53:52

If you want to lose weight as a vegan, we recommend cutting out 100% of oil and peanut butter, nuts, coconut, and other added fats. Eat as unprocessed as you can, many vegetables, center around starch (potatoes, brown rice, winter squashes, beans, whole grains, etc.). Eat fruits as desserts. We would recommend looking at, http://happyherbivore.com/2013/04/not-losing-weight-plant-based-why-how-to/ and the McDougall forums, https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/

• Report Abuse

Posted by Umapuma at 10/08/14 12:47:21

I feel like I have thinned out in the past year but am always around 120 no matter what, I do exercise often but could really get lean and defined if I'd give up the booze. There is a lot of delicious booze....

• Report Abuse

Posted by Helen Woodard at 10/28/14 18:19:41

One of the keys to losing weight is to MOVE. Exercise on a regular basis including cardio and weight training will help your body function, process food and avoid illness better. In addition to eating a balanced, nutritional meal, it is essential that fitness is part of your weight loss plan.

Vegetarians are typically leaner than meat eaters because a vegetarian diet usually has less saturated fat and focuses on foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains that often have less calories. Vegans have even less exposure to fats since they avoid all animal based products including eggs, milk, cheese and more. This may allow vegans to more easily lose weight.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now