Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

Hi all,

I work for an ethical store and we're stocking a range of tools for a vegan kitchen.

Would you mind sharing your favourite tools, and your kitchen essentials please?

Thanks in advance

tadhg

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 10/29/17 21:17:45

I like Granite Ware...it's made of porcelain and steel to naturally be non-stick or low-stick instead of having that a nasty teflon no-stick coating (that stuff causes cancer)

Cast iron skillet...it's nice to have at least one cast iron skillet, and one cast iron soup pot if you can afford it because it adds iron to fry ups and vegan stews

High grade blender or food processor ...if you don't have the right blender or food processor, it's virtually impossible to make good nut cheese sauce....I've tried making a cashew cheese casserole and the texture was wrong because my food processor wasn't strong enough, so definitely stock Vitamix and other high grade blenders or processors

Bamboo flatware ...it's biodegradable and I just like the way it feels when I eat with it, though I do also have some metal flatware

Sharp knives for chopping veggies

Nut milk bags...even if you don't make nut milks, they're perfect for rinsing those tiny pieces of quinoa

Colanders and strainers for pasta

Ball/Mason jars ...for grocery shopping and/or food storage

Bag dryers...for people to re-use plastic produce bags on their next shopping trip

Bamboo dish rack ...can't go wrong with bamboo

Dishtowels with animal themes ....my current ones have cute owls

Cloth napkins and other re-usable kitchen hygiene items

Fair trade dishes and dining room decor

Baskets for bread or produce

Measuring cups

Chopping board

Cheesecloth ...for people who make nut cheeses

Reusable water bottles ...to discourage plastic water bottle purchases

Cloth shopping bags...to discourage using plastic shopping bags

Thermoses and lunch storage containers made out of stainless steel or materials other than plastic, or those new tupperware containers made out of recycled plastic

Biodegradable picnic items (compostable picnic/camping plates and flatware)

Compost buckets

Other basic items for serious cooks/bakers: cooking thermometers (candy etc), banana trees, cookie pans, pie pans, bundt pans, roasting pans

• Report Abuse

Posted by Nanchi at 02/18/18 15:00:35

Aside from the 'regular' pots, cutlery & dishes, which I just got whichever I could find secondhand:

Cast iron frying pan (Not quite non-stick, but close enough without using micro-plastics)

Lots of stainless steel stuff, doesn't break so it's great on the go & avoids waste:
    Travel mug (insulated)
    Bottle for tea etc (also insulated)
    Coffee strainer (thinking about getting a cafetiere too, for making more than one cup)
    Tea strainer (for loose leaves)
    Measuring cups & spoons (cause I don't have a scale)
    Lunch box
    Grater (cheese, veggies, whatever really)
    Sieves (plastic might melt with hot stuff)
    Funnel (same as above)
    Splash guard (makes it possible to fry things crispy without getting oil everywhere)
    Sharp knives/with teeth

Tin boxes in various sizes (for zero-waste shopping, storing, cookies & lose leaf teas)

Tea towels (for cleaning and also storing/covering food, or squeezing out juice/plant milk; preferably organic cotton & Fairtrade)

Ginger grater (ceramic, love this for garlic as most garlic presses often don't mash the whole thing)

Blender (one of those hand-mixer ones... doesn't get things quite as smooth a the big ones, but cheaper & does the job for me)

Microwave (I'm a student.)

Dish brush (for cleaning, wood & plant fibres)

Chopping board (wood; alternatively glass/stone ones are also a thing?)

For cleaning purposes (all zero waste):
    Unscented soap bar (for doing dishes. yes, that works, quite well)
    Baking soda
    Citric acid

Things I don't have, but want/would like to see in such a store:

Reusable travel cutlery/dishes (like the foldable spork ^^)

Citrus press (preferably stainless steel, or alternatively ceramic)

Reusable straws (stainless steel, I think)

Insulated lunch box (preferably stainless steel, and leak-proof for soups etc)

Some folks might also like fancy stuff like a dehydrater, kitchenaid, power blender, zucchini-spaghetti-machine... dunno ^^

Good luck for your endeavours!

• Report Abuse

Posted by maribee at 03/05/18 22:57:04

I would really strongly suggest you using an AIR Fryer! I am pretty new to it so I just got this book. I am having fun with food right now. Eating Vegan really doesn't have to be boring! Here is the link to the book if you wanna check it out! It is a great little recipe book by a friend of mine!

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Air-Fryer-Cookbook-Plant-based-ebook/dp/B07B1K8TL4/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520112509&sr=1-15&keywords=the+vegan+air+fryer+cookbook

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support