Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found a really easy way to make soymilk at home without one of those expensive automatic machines. I got what is called a "nut milk bag" for $5 at the health food store, soak the beans all day (or night), blend them with water (amount of beans X 2), and then pour it into nut milk bag. All you have to do is squeeze the soymilk right out of it, and the beans stay in the bag. Takes me about 5 minutes, and simple as pie. It also works great for almond milk, sunflower milk, etc.

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chia at 11/03/09 19:50:49

Hi Jeffrey, you didn't mention that soymilk has to be cooked first (bring to boil) before drinking... unless you don't cook yours?

The other nut and seed milks - like almond, sunflower, sesame, cashew - can all be drunken without cooking (raw).

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jeffrey at 11/04/09 14:09:09

Oh yeah. I forgot that part. At the end, I just bring it to a boil, watching it carefully and stirring so the foam doesn't erupt and spill all over your stove! (happened to me the first time) A couple minutes of cooking, and it is done. You can drink some hot if you want, or let it cool and put it into the fridge and it will keep for about 3 days.
    By the way, sunflower seed milk tastes pretty good too, and they are a lot cheaper to buy than almonds if you don't have too much cash to spend. I haven't tried sesame. Sounds interesting.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chia at 11/05/09 19:53:40

Hi Jeffrey, acutally, with sesame seeds, you can just blend it with the water (add sweetener of choice), and drink all of it. No need to strain.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support