Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

I'm a fan of Tofurky roasts and when I first started making them, I followed the basting recipe on the side panel. A holiday or two later, I started adding a splash or two of dry red wine to the original recipe, and I used to have a problem with making extra baste because I liked to roast vegetables with my Tofurky and didn't want them to burn - now, this kept my roasted veggies perfect and kept the Tofurky nice and moist for leftovers....but what I later learned is that using exactly the prescribed amount of baste and roasting the veggies separately gives your Tofurky roast an excellent crispy "skin" (creepy I know but) which improves the appearance to omnis and may serve to satisfy a craving for crispy bits without having to eat a dead animal!

My new way I discovered is similar to the original recipe, I use 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil, then about 1 Tbsp of Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce (it's just as flavorful but slightly less salty and adds a bit of nutrition) ....to that I add several generous splashes of balsamic vinegar and then mix it well. I then roll the Tofurky in the baste, before putting it into an oiled pan and adding half the baste on top. Before wrapping and baking, I sprinkle herbs de provence on the roast instead of sage.

I was extremely pleased with the flavor the balsamic vinegar gave the Tofurky.

Also, I always serve mine with gravy. I like to make homemade gravy, but I also found a way to "liven up" Pacific Vegan Mushroom Gravy. Some of you may like it as is, but I find it a bit bland. I sauteed a quarter of an onion in olive oil, sprayed about a teaspoon of Braggs onto the onion, then added a splash of balsamic, before pouring the Pacific gravy on top and stirring it all together to simmer until hot. Then I stirred in about a spoonful of nooch and a sprinkling of herbs de provence before serving.

What's your favorite way to make a vegan holiday roast?

Responses (1)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 11/23/17 21:42:27

Thanks for the good recipes on tofurky. I enjoy Tofurky, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, acorn squash with olive oil and nutmeg, and a vegetable stuffing, and 100 % whole grain dinner rolls. The mushroom gravy you described sounds good too. Fresh fruit for dessert.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support