Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

I recently decided to go vegetarian and so far I have been meat-free for 3 whole days! I'm very excited about the change in my diet, but I am finding it very hard to get in enough protein in my diet. Additionally, I have Celiac's Disease and can't eat any gluten products.

I cannot prepare any food, besides what can be warmed up in a microwave or what can be made in a blender, (I have a Magic Bullet.) I would really like to stick with it. I had always wanted to try being a vegetarian when I was younger, but it never really stuck. After watching Food Inc., my decision was solidified. I really need some help - what can I eat for protein, and what are some good snacks to keep on stock? I would really appreciate any input - thanks for the help everyone!

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by AllieDavis at 03/26/15 15:54:21

hi. there are alot of meals you can make in a microwave like eggs,soups,vegtables,pasta,cakes ect. head over to pinterest and youtube and look up microwave recipes and you can get some great ideas on meals you can make. also check out your local library and book stores for recipes ideas.

if you don't have a mini fridge you can still buy fresh or canned fruit,veggies and beans and keep them in storage bins in your dorm room.

if you go onto youtube and type raw vegan recipes you will find a ton of ideas of things you can eat without cooking it. also look up the terms "what i ate today raw vegan". youtube is your best source for ideas.also look up things like "how to be vegan in college" or "how to stay vegan in college" there is some really great advice on there by youtubers like "fullyrawchristina" and "ecofriendlygirl"I know you said your vegetarian but you can eat vegan meals also so that information can be helpful for you too.

you can get protein from eating nuts and seeds,eggs,cheese,oatmeal,tofu,beans,soy milk,grains, ect.

I'll try and post some youtube links on here so you can find information.

being a vegan in college
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbkuvOdqFMI

Where Am I Getting My Protein As A Vegetarian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMNT4kFMIE

What I Eat On A Starch Based Diet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVd5N1TBac

Report Abuse

Posted by Kayales_XC17 at 05/09/15 00:01:10

Hey! I'm also a new/transitioning vegetarian in college, so I understand that the dining hall fare leaves something to be desired.

I mostly make do with what I can find in our dining hall, which has veg options at least 2-3 times a day. But recently I discovered the frozen food section in my local grocery store. Amy's Organic brand frozen foods taste amazing and they are fairly healthy when compared to your typical frozen meal. Also, try Kashi's line of frozen meals, or any of their other veg foods for that matter. Everything Kashi makes is healthy and delicious.

Today I ordered this cookbook for veg college students. I think you'll also like it. It's on Amazon: www.amazon.com/Meal-College-Cookbook-Good-Cheap/dp/1440502080/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431154794&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=college+veg+cookbook

Also, I am a huge fan of Food Inc but if you need any more motivation, Earthlings is a great documentary. You can watch it for free on the earthlings site, just Google it.

Hope I helped! Good luck.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 10/10/15 01:56:22

Nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit and vegetables, microwavable quinoa, soups, noodles/pastas, vegetarian chili, canned beans and lentils, and sandwiches made from nut butters with bananas or apples, or with hummus, avacado, cheese and veggies....sounds like you could make smoothies with that blender.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 10/10/15 03:53:48

If you have access to a mini/refrigerator, keep tubs of hummus or peanut or nut butters around. Foods like jicama, carrots, raw broccoli, cherry tomatoes, celery, and snap peas go well with these dips/spreads. There are gluten free breads like Food for Life (found in freezer section as there are no preservatives) and Rudy's if you live in the U.S. that are also vegetarian and even vegan. A favorite easy sandwich is to take some canned chickpeas (Goya makes cans with flip top lids) and mash them in a bowl. Add some chopped celery and ground black pepper and mayo (I use Just Mayo and Vegannaise which are both vegan and Just Mayo is also soy free). Mix it up and add it to a sandwich for a chickpea salad sandwich.

For protein, focus on beans especially since they can be easily eaten from a can (rinse them first though) ready made. Add them to salads and sandwiches. I like to eat kidney beans with salsa and veggies or some kind of grain. It would be hard for you to eat grains without access to a stove, but if you can find a way to prepare them, gluten free grains like millet, buckwheat groats, quinoa, teff, sorghum, and brown and wild rices are great sources of protein. Buckwheat groats can be eaten raw as a cereal if you soak them for at least a half hour or overnight. I eat them raw with frozen blueberries or with banana and cinnamon for breakfast. They remind me of granola.

Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews etc are great for snacks and good sources of protein, calcium, omega 3s etc. Soy milk is a higher protein plant milk that can help.

Larabars are gluten free also and readily found in most stores and gas stations now. Nut and seed/peanut butters are good sources of protein. Tempeh (not all are gluten free but some are) also goes great in sandwiches or cubed and added to salads or grain dishes and is very high in protein. Even broccoli is a good source of protein.

Also remember that while protein is important, it is only one component of nutritional needs and it is really not that hard to meet required protein needs. Most people consume far more protein than they need.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support