HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Connect With Other Members

Introduce Yourself - Connect with New Friends

I need some support and don't know where to turn. I am a newbie and want to go to the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. I am not a dairy person and honestly think its disgusting personally to drink/eat something that came out of an animal. I have never been a meat fan but due to severe anemia thought I had to get iron from animals and honesty it sickens me on how misinformed I had become. If someone would mentor me I would be eternally grateful... Ashley

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Sayarma at 11/16/11 02:29:28

Hi Ashley,
    I read your note...maybe I can be of some assistance. I've been a vegetarian since 1984 (even in childhood I tried to be one). I am not currently eating a vegan diet, but have been vegan in the past; even ate a raw food diet for several months.

Have you gotten your anemia under control? I've heard that pomegranates (juice) contains high iron; it is especially used for anemia in certain Asian countries.

Let me know how I can assist you.
    Cheers,
    Sayarma

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/18/11 11:10:26

In addition to the pomegranate tip above, good sources of iron include legumes, whole grains (including wholemeal bread), wheat germ, oatmeal, green leafy vegetables, peas, broccoli, potatoes, nuts, seeds, peaches and dried fruit. The use of iron cooking utensils and saucepans also contributes to dietary intake.

Did u hv ur blood tested to find out what's causing the anemia? Check this out for info on diagnosis and tests: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/anemia.html

Above artile is good for general info, but ignore section where it says best source for iron is meat. That's fixing one problem and causing a lifetime of other problems. Instead, check out this artile for veg-friendly info:
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/iron-vegetarian-diet.php

I think it's wonderful that you're not a dairy person. Dairy was my biggest weakness.

• Report Abuse

Posted by vegnetwork at 10/22/12 02:55:03

Hello, there's lots of evidence to show that a vegetarian diet can be very healthy. If in doubt, consult a doctor or nutritionist about a healthy meal plan. Also, check out the Australian, US & UK web links in this blog article of mine: www.vegtastic.com/who-says-vegetarianism-is-good-for-you/ .
    Regards, Tom Perry

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now