It’s no secret that breakfast can be the trickiest meal for vegans when away from home. There are inevitably eggs or dairy in any menu option available. This is just another reason I adore having overnight guests, so that I may delight their awakening taste buds with yummy breakfast goodness that is 100% vegan.
Breakfast (Simple Meal Ideas)
• Cereal or granola with nondairy milk
• Oatmeal or other hot cereal
• Vegan Bagel or toast with organic jelly
• Soy or coconut yogurt
• Fruit smoothie
• Vegan Crepes
• Tofu Scramble
• Vegan Waffles
• Southwest skillets
Let me take a moment to revisit a couple of things about “Eating Vegan”; in starting the transition to a vegan diet, there are a few different strategies. Some people shift into a vegan diet slowly, starting with vegan ‘analogues’— plant-based foods whose taste resembles animal products. Others simply take out the animal products from their diet and replace them with plant foods with which they’re already familiar. Still others concentrate on experimenting with entirely new vegan foods, often from international cuisines. Thankfully, there is no shortage of vegan foods to help make the transition. In fact, most of the food we eat is vegan, without us knowing it!
Breakfast is a fun time to try some of these yummy plant foods.
Replacing eggs: There are several options, depending on what they are needed for. You may want to experiment. Here are some possibilities (each quantity is equivalent to 1 egg):
. 1 tbsp gram (chick pea) or soya flour and 1 tbsp water
. 1 tbsp arrowroot, 1 tbsp soya flour and 2 tbsp water
. 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tbsp shortening, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 tsp water
. 50g tofu blended with the liquid portion of the recipe
. 1/2 large banana, mashed
. 50 ml white sauce
A word of caution, however: approaching these replacements for meat, dairy, and egg by expecting them to taste identical will be setting yourself up for disappointment. The texture and taste of animal products is impossible to duplicate completely. That said, once you learn not to expect that same taste and texture you’ll find the alternatives quite delicious in their own right!
The essential daily basics, right?
• Soya, Rice, Almond, Hemp milk. Long-life soya Rice, Almond, Hemp milk lasts for months and is as good as the fresh stuff, so you can keep it in stock. Use like cows milk in any cooking. Great on cereal.
• Vegan margarine – easy to finish up in any cooking, so get in a lot
• Cereal: reliable vegan ones include Kelloggs rice krispies, cornflakes, and Weetabix. Leave out the cereals in their packets so guests can read the ingredients
• Bread/toast: most bread is vegan, but briefly check for dairy content such as whey, milk powder, buttermilk, lactose
• Preserves: all jams and marmalades are vegan. AGAVE.
• Yeast extract (e.g. Marmite or Meridian) is a must
OH yea welcome extras
• Other vegan dairy products commonly available: yoghurt, cream/dream, ice-cream, and peanut butter is very popular and a good fall back if you run out of vegan buttee
• Fresh fruits and juices – add luxury and cheer to anyone’s breakfast
HOT- HOT- HOT breakfast items
• Porridge: always a winner. Make as normal but with water, soya milk, rice milk or oat milk.
• Cooked breakfast: baked beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, vegan bacon and sausages
• Scrambled tofu: mash tofu with a fork, season with herbs and pepper, and fry whilst stirring continuously.
• Pancakes/waffles: replace the eggs with 1 tablespoon of oil, use self-raising flour and either soya milk or water – cholesterol free so suitable for everyone – and taste exactly like pancakes! Syrups and lemon etc are all vegan
Here are a few EASY Samples to try on your next Sunday Breakfast.. Fast and EASY
EASY Pancakes Breakfast – INGREDIENTS
. 6 oz / 170 soft tofu, drained and mashed (silken works too)
. 2 cups unbleached flour
. 1/2 cup cornmeal
. 4 1/2 t baking powder
. 3 cups soy/nut/oat milk
. 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
. 1 teaspoon salt
. 1/4 cup sugar
. 1 Tablespoon vanilla
. 1 cup blueberries
• In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly blend flour, baking powder & cornmeal. Stir in the milk substitute, oil, salt, sugar, vanilla, & tofu.
• Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan for each pancake. When the tops of the pancakes bubble, flip them and brown off the other side.
• Serve hot with maple syrup ( A or B grade) & vegan margarine.
EASY “Eggs” – Omelet – – INGREDIENTS
. 17 ounces firm tofu
. 1 tablespoon tahini
. 2 tablespoons tamari
. 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
. 1 teaspoon turmeric
. 1 tablespoon oil
In a bowl, mash the tofu and mix with the other ingredients. Place batter in an oiled skillet (or non-stick pan) and press into an omelets shape. Cook on medium heat until brown on one side, then flip and brown on the other.
Other Ideas of Breakfast On the Go are:
EASY – WAKE up Smoothie- INGREDIENTS for 2 people 🙂
. 1/2 cup soy milk
. 1/2 cup silken tofu
. 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
. 2 bananas, frozen
. 2 Tablespoon organic chocolate syrup “Santa Cruz Organic Chocolate Syrup”
Combine soy milk, tofu, and peanut butter in blender. Add bananas, chocolate syrup, and any ice cubes if desired. Blend until smooth.
The Chef’s last thoughts:
I like to start my days with fruit or smoothies. Some days I’m not really into more than that.
Other days, however, the “growlies” take over and I need something really satisfying. Even when I’m really hungry, I’ll still start out with some fruit.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people do not eat breakfast! VEGAN or NOT Vegan. From trades-people to service providers, executives to kids, real estate agents to bankers, they do not eat the meal that breaks the fast. The meal that would make them stronger, healthier and much easier to be around. I have found that people who do not eat breakfast are extremely cranky. VEGAN or NOT Vegan
Some say they have no time. Well, if you have time to get dressed, you have time to eat something. Get up earlier to exercise, meditate and eat breakfast!
A benefit from eating breakfast is that it helps you maintain or even lose weight.
And it is better for the brain, and me, especially if I have to talk business with you.
So, do yourself, your co-workers, your mate, your kids and your friends a favor.
Please look for my fun “Wake up to Breakfast” in the recipes section.
Till’ the next Month…….
Stay Green, Lean And Sexy…With an “Animal Free” lifestyle
LV Vegan Chef Mayra also know as Dr Flavor