Small, eco-friendly vegan neighborhood restaurant with 18 seats, opened May 2013. Focus is on seasonal local ingredients. Food is made-in-house daily, and juices & smoothies are made to order. Has daily specials, brunch on Saturday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Juice bar, Canadian, Western, Take-out

First Review by Genevieveflan
trematode
trematode

Must stop in for desserts!

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

The Wild Leek is one of my favorite places because it's affordable and the food is delicious.

I haven't tried their smoothies and juices, but I have stopped in for brunch and treats. A meal is around the $10 mark and there is a wide selection of gluten-free options. The last time I went, I had a breakfast burrito made gluten-free. It was full of fresh peppers and lettuce with homemade "sour cream" and was served on corn tortillas (I haven't had a tortilla that good since my visit to Central America).

I love their baked goods. The portions are very large and I usually cannot finish them in a single sitting. I highly recommend the cupcakes and Nanaimo bars.

Edit: Since my review, they have included evening hours later in the week.

Updated from previous review on Monday November 25, 2013

Pros: awesome baked goods, good value
Cons: hours of operation
  • trematode trematode

Last cupcake I had was chocolate with grapefruit icing. Such an awesome combination! I drool over the Facebook posts every day.

• QuothTheRaven QuothTheRaven

I wish they were open on evenings and weekends too. I have only gotten in once but I really loved it. I always see the menus listed on facebook and instagram and start drooling. She also has the best cupcakes I've ever had.

jawdoc
jawdoc

Little Ambiance, Great Food

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

My wife and I had Borsht soup of the day, salad and coconut bacon wraps. It was delicious. A vegan quiche was on the menu, but not available today. We were anxious to try it as the other food was so good. Great quality food in a somewhat spartan setting. Good service. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Pros: Delicious Fooc, Good Service
Cons: Somewhat spartan

cityscape
cityscape

Alright place

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I went here near when it first opened. I had a good meal, it's a bit expensive, but there's a lot of selection (much more than the other vegan restaurant).

It's a very white and sterile looking place - some colour would make it more comfortable and fun. The desserts are pretty awesome [edit by staff].

I've been in for a smoothie as well - the person assumed that I would just want it to go and put it in a plastic cup. I try to live without using plastic and didn't even think to ask for it in a glass cup since most places do that - and I would expect a vegan restaurant to be conscientious of these issues. That was disappointing, as well as it being a small smoothie and costing 7 bucks, very overpriced.

I like the idea of this place but I think it has a far way to go. I like that they try to use local products - such as acadian soy, but then they do other things like only using white bread for sandwiches - bought from the chain store super market down the street - and I feel like locally baked bread is very easy to find and that whole wheat options should be available.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 01, 2013

Pros: Good selection, Some local products, Nice staff
Cons: Not always local, Uncomfortable atmosphere, A bit expensive
modog737
modog737

Great Find near Halifax Common!

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

I was very happy to find this little gem while I was staying in Halifax for work. I was even happier to open my Veg Out App and find this delightful Vegan foodjuice bar only a 5 minute walk from the Atlantica where I was staying.
The restaurant is small and sparsely decorated, but don't let that fool you. The food is fresh, tasty, original and absolutely delicious.
We started with a fresh juice made with beets, celery, apply and lemon. Perfect. The we had the daily special, a 'sloppy joe'. But instead of using fake meats to create this masterpiece, she used pinto beans in a rich sauce with what seemed like crumbled tofu, covered with fresh herbs and her own tofu sour cream which was probably the best I have ever tasted. It came with a side salad, wonderfully prepared with gorgeous swirls of carrot and beets on top. The best part of the salad was a mildly sweet onion/dill creamy dressing....best salad dressing ever! Delicious!
We ordered some food to go for later. I had the CBLT wrap. The CB stands for coconut bacon....wow...amazing. It went so well with the fresh juicy tomatoes, lettuce and wonderful creamy mayo. It also came with a side salad. I was glad because I wanted more of that dressing! I finished it off with an orange chocolate cupcake that was moist, tasty and perfectly sweet.
I encourage people to go to this wonderful spot, support this business owner and eat eco-friendly and sustainably.
Well done. I will be back every time I am in Halifax, I will bring more friends and I will tell all my friends to visit!

Pros: Fresh, local food and great location, Original preparation, Wonderful taste
Cons: Not in my home city!, Smaller restaurant with little ambience
AnnetteSamson
AnnetteSamson

Thank goodness it's vegan!

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

So happy to have a vegan resto in Halifax. It is just hitting up onto its feet, so the menu is pretty sparse still...but everything ice eaten has been delicious. The juices are lovely.

Pros: Excellent vegan option, Juices are tops, Super friendly
Cons: Small menu
QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

In Love

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

I was very excited to visit the Wild Leek. I just moved back home from the Yukon and had heard there was a new vegan restaurant opening. I finally got there today. It's a very cute little restaurant and the staff was very friendly. I really liked the sweet waiter we had. I had some delicious coconut pancakes complete with fresh fruit and my husband had a bean burrito also with fresh fruit. We both got one of the delicious homemade lemonades they have to offer. I had the beet lemonade and my husband the strawberry. And for dessert, a carrot "juiced" cupcake which seriously was probably the best cupcake I've ever had in my life. Melt in your mouth, so full of flavour. A wonderful first visit, I can't wait to come back!

Pros: All vegan, Friendly staff, Delicious
Genevieveflan
Genevieveflan

great food, great prices

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

This is a new, vegan restaurant in Halifax. Luckily for me, I got to celebrate my birthday there last night with my family. The food was amazing!!! Quiche to die for; spanakopita, ban something-or-other sandwich tastier than all get out and lovely fresh salads locally sourced. Even the meat-eating members of my family were impressed and said they'd definitely go back again. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff did a fine job in the service department, even though they are in the early days of smoothing out the crinkles from setting up a new business. And, the main meals averaged $10. each which is remarkable. The portions were substantial, and the desserts were unbelievably tasty. I advise anyone to check it out. Fine vegan dining in a cafe atmosphere with a more than reasonable price tag.

Dear Owner and Manager of Wild Leek: