Vegetarian pub located next to the Moulin Rouge night club. Serves daily menu from 11am-3pm with 50+ vegan and vegetarian dishes. The kitchen is open daily till 9pm. The bar offers a selections of Czech beer plus both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks; complimentary water with fruit. Has wifi, smoking and non-smoking sections. Hosts live music events. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Czech, European, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by dog
kuchi
kuchi

Czech vegan food

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

It's good to eat in vegalite. It's tasty. It's cheap. There are also some concerts or parties, schedule is here http://vegalite.cz/program/

Pros: taste, ambience, price
Cons: mobile signal (very low or none)
Tereza-soucitne.cz
Tereza-soucitne.cz

Mostly vegan pub

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

This restaurant-pub is the perfect place for people who are vegans from non-healthy reasons and who are enjoying unhealthy food and alcohol. This place is very vegan friendly and in my opinion they offers the best vegan dumplings and lot of other Czech specialities (goulash, "svíčková") etc. They also offer very cheap daily menu with the three options.

I don't like the fact that it is possible to smoke cigarettes there, but I have to admit that it belongs to the whole pub atmosphere. Before your visit I advise to check the program on the website, because time after time they have punk concerts there.

Pros: delicious Czech food, nice vibe, big portions
Cons: smokey
holokawa
holokawa

very good ideas for vegan food

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

in brno you have to visit 2 locations: one is vila tugendhat and the other is vegalite!.

Pros: nice and friendly staff, high quality and excellent food, nice guests
DavidHampson
DavidHampson

Best place in town for vegans / vegetarians

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

Tasty food and great portion size, served by friendly staff. There's an English language menu. Everything is vegetarian and there are lots of vegan options.

I loved the cabbage soup for starter and the Robi burger with fries for main course.

Lots of locals go here and it feels like an authentic Czech experience.

There's also some great Czech beers including Starobrno and lesser known beers.

Pros: Excellent vegetarian and vegan food, Good choice of Czech beer on tap, Friendly service
Cons: A little smokey
shinyuu
shinyuu

Not exactly a restaurant?

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2012

Wow, Vegalite is really interesting place. It doesn't look like a restaurant, actually it's more like a pub. I was sitting in non-smoking part, so I don't now how the other parts look, but it was really... industrial, said my friend. At the time when I was there, there was no music, no people, so I didn't like it very much, but the menu! Oh my God! So many vegan options, also gluten-free dishes, in such big portions and with so nice price (3-4€)! I love it! Maybe it looks more like a place for drinking, but food offer is wide and encouraging. And tasty! ;-)

Pros: WIDE VEGAN OFFER!!!, nice prices, big portions, beer also ;-)
Cons: not very beautiful place
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice place, lots of vegan options

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I visited "Vegalife" at its old location a few years ago and I must say, the food did not impress me. When I went to the new location at Slovakova Street I did not expect too much, but I was wrong. I had the daily menu, a smoked tofu steak with rice, salad and a spicy sauce. It was simple, but very good! The staff was very friendly and helpful and spoke English. There was a menu available in English with quite a big selection of mostly vegan food. The venue has 2 sections, one for smokers and one for non-smokers. The smoker's part is the cosier one (that's where the bar is).

Pros: good value, friendly staff, good food
Cons: the nicer part is quite smoky
_mateusz
_mateusz

Good food. Friendly staff.

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

A nice place to eat, apparently one of very few in Brno. Very casual. The food is mostly vegan, and clearly marked as such on the menu. Has a variety of meals to choose from, from traditional (dumplings with red cabbage and grilled or fried seitan/linseed-based wraps) to some quite fancy stuff. The staff is very nice, too. Special offer menu at lunchtime (until 14). I've only eaten there once while on a very short visit to Brno, but would like to come back again. The entrance from the street is marked, walk through the gate and then down the stairs.

Pros: see, review
citizen428
citizen428

Mostly great

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

As the menu informed us, the name "Vegalite" was a fusion of "V" for vegan/vegetarian and the French "égalité" (equality), meaning that all livings things are the same before nature. So +1 in the philosophy department. It's generally a very likable place, with an urban leftish atmosphere. Lots of students, free WiFi and the occasional concert don't only makes this a good place to eat, but also for just hanging out with some friends and having a drink.

Their menu (also available in English) is pretty big and vegan options are clearly marked as such. Prices are good too, with around 1 Euro for a Soup and 3-4 for a main course. Alas the meals aren't always what the name promises, for example the Kung Pao -- while very good -- had neither chilis nor peanuts, which are usually the main ingredients. Also my girlfriend's Moussaka was rather short of aubergines and heavy on potatoes instead. That doesn't mean that the food isn't good, just that you won't necessarily get what you expect. The one exception to this was my rice though, which tasted like it never even shared a room with salt, let alone touched it. Unfortunately that made my otherwise excellent meal unnecessarily bland.

From what I read elsewhere there's also a non-smoking section, which we believe was full when we got there. That's why we had to sit in the main room, which can be quite smoky, which might be a turn-off for some people. It also got to us for a while and we left instead of having another drink.

This is the type of place where I wish I could give half cows on HappyCow, but since I liked the overall atmosphere of the place, I'll give it a 4 rather than a 3.

Pros: super friendly, vegan food clearly marked, atmosphere
Cons: smoke
pavlifix
pavlifix

highly recomend

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2011

I was at the restaurant last week and I would highly recomend it to any eater. My husband, who eats meat, was very happy there and me as vegetarian I did not know what to choose. The food is excellent, the choice is wide, the beer is great and the owners are both very nice guys.

Pros: food choice, club, owners ideas
cdrk
cdrk

Nice place.

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

This friendly alternative place offers good meals for a nice price, nice music and sometimes gigs too.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Nice music
Cons: Smokers
Veinspitz
Veinspitz

Vegalite Brno - delicious

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

Vegalite is not easy to find, because you have to go along a corridor and then down the stairs to find it.
I really liked the atmosphere there, the waiter was very friendly and translated everything into English. All the meals (5 different meals were available) were vegan. The waiter said that usually, there are more meals available, but during the holidays the menu is reduced. It was very delicious and also cheap.
I certainly will come again and can recommend it to anyone.

Pros: vegan, friendly, cheap
Cons: difficult to find, the cellar walls are not perfectly paint

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegalite:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Brno page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/01/29