Vegetarian pub located next to the Moulin Rouge night club. Serves daily menu Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 4pm-10pm with 50+ vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free dishes. The bar offers a selections of Czech beer plus both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks; complimentary water with fruit. Has wifi, children's corner, smoking and non-smoking sections. Hosts live music events. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Czech, European, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

Johi
Johi

Huge portions :)

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2014

The menu is so long that you wish you had 4 stomachs :) I opted for a potato-pancake with grill veggies and I was unable to finish it!!! (I generally eat A LOT, so the portion was really huge) :) That left me to space for desert, but my friends had some and they were very happy with it :)
The bill for 3 people with drinks was 450 CZK, so it is very very cheap :)
They are also dog-friendly and have interesting toilets ;)

Pros: Massive portions, Lots of options on the menu, Price
Cons: There is smoking area
Lliswerryboy
Lliswerryboy

good veggie moussaka

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2014

My first time here the soup of the day was Bosch it was good I had the moussaka for main course. I was very happy with meal and will return , the service was also very nice it was provided by a student who obviously enjoyed her work there is a non smoking section which is separated from the smoking section by a corridor so it was not smoky

kezia
kezia

Looking Forward To Going Again!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2014

This was my first visit to Brno In Czech. I have to say what a great city it was, :)
Sadly, we did not have that long, so only time to try out one Veggie/Vegan restaurant. We went to Vegalite.
I feel I made the right choice. I was there with my partner and a friend. We all loved what we ordered and tasted a bit of each others dishes, My friend is not veggie or vegan and he was very impressed with his Vegan Goulash.
As someone coming from London it was great to be able to try traditional Czech meals turned vegan.
O.k so the meals we ordered were - the "Soya Mix Vegalite" Which was a thick potato/wholemeal pancake with roasted soya meat, Onion, Mushroom, Tomato, Aubergine, peas mixed with Amazonian spice. It was huge! and delicious. - Please see my photographs.
"Vegan Goulash" This was nice, but almost a bit too much like the real thing for me. As a vegan of 12 years I found the sauce very meat like. However my friend who is a meat eater, thought it was delicious. Perhaps this is a good option for introducing people who normally eat meat to veganism?
and I had the Spaghetti, which was easily as good as any vegan pasta I've eaten at Italian restaurants. It was perfectly cooked and had a delicious light home made Rosemary olive oil dressing with olives, sun dried tomatoes, walnuts and sprinkled with vegan cheese. My only tiny complaint would be that there was not quite enough cheese, but that could just me me, as I tend to smother it on my pasta at home.
For desert we had the Wholemeal pancake with vegan whipped cream, maple syrup and forest fruits. again it was lovely.
This is a pub/ Restaurant so serves a wide selection of Czech Beers. The only downside to it being a pub is that everyone is smoking around you, which is a bit of a shame, but to be honest that factor would not put me off going to Vegalite again. It would however be nice if in the future they had a designated smoking area maybe?

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 14, 2014

Pros: Excellent Location, Good Vegan Options, Traditional Czech meals, turned vegan
Cons: SMOKING!!

evik
evik

There are much better places to eat...

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

There are two main problems I have with this restaurant:
1. It is in a former "pub", hidden underground. The air conditioning is non existing or not functioning, since every time we got in, the air is moldy and heavy. Enough to make you regret stepping in and prevent you enjoying your meal
2. The place is cheap, accomodated to locals for lunch breaks. This makes the cuisine not really innovative, tasting rather dumb, although sometimes an surprisingly good meal is served. Basically, many of the recipes are just typical Czech meat recipes turned vegetarian/vegan by changing meat for a meat alternative.

If you have traveled for some time, then you are probably used to a better vegetarian/vegan cuisine and will be disappointed.

It is certainly not a place I would take someone for a dinner...

Pros: Cheap, In the center
Cons: Food not very good, Air heavy and moldy
Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins

Just awesome!

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

It has atmosphere more like a pub, therefore is not very fit for more formal occasions but you must definitely visit this place when you are hungry! Most of the menu is vegan, they cook normal meals the vegan way, you can also try typical czech meal (goulash, svíčková). Also they have offer desserts. You always get a full plate of the meal, they serve generous portion for a very very rasionable prices. Just awesome place! I am sorry that in Prague is not a similar place.
Some people doesn't like the fact that it's possible to smoke inside, but nonsmokers can sit in the nonsmoking salon.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 22, 2014

Pros: prices, location, portions, wide offer of vegan dish, excellent taste
petkaSiskata
petkaSiskata

awesome.

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

It´s not looks like a restaurant, more like a pub eventhough I was always satisfied. Great food, great prices. IT is definitely the best vegan restaurant ever:-)

Pros: prices, menu, desserts
Cons: atmosphere more like a pub, music
kuchi
kuchi

Czech vegan food

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

It's good to eat in vegalite. It's tasty. It's cheap. There are also some concerts or parties, schedule is here http://vegalite.cz/program/

Pros: taste, ambience, price
Cons: mobile signal (very low or none)
Tereza-soucitne.cz
Tereza-soucitne.cz

Mostly vegan pub

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

This restaurant-pub is the perfect place for people who are vegans from non-healthy reasons and who are enjoying unhealthy food and alcohol. This place is very vegan friendly and in my opinion they offers the best vegan dumplings and lot of other Czech specialities (goulash, "svíčková") etc. They also offer very cheap daily menu with the three options.

I don't like the fact that it is possible to smoke cigarettes there, but I have to admit that it belongs to the whole pub atmosphere. Before your visit I advise to check the program on the website, because time after time they have punk concerts there.

Pros: delicious Czech food, nice vibe, big portions
Cons: smokey
holokawa
holokawa

very good ideas for vegan food

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

in brno you have to visit 2 locations: one is vila tugendhat and the other is vegalite!.

Pros: nice and friendly staff, high quality and excellent food, nice guests
DavidHampson
DavidHampson

Best place in town for vegans / vegetarians

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

Tasty food and great portion size, served by friendly staff. There's an English language menu. Everything is vegetarian and there are lots of vegan options.

I loved the cabbage soup for starter and the Robi burger with fries for main course.

Lots of locals go here and it feels like an authentic Czech experience.

There's also some great Czech beers including Starobrno and lesser known beers.

Pros: Excellent vegetarian and vegan food, Good choice of Czech beer on tap, Friendly service
Cons: A little smokey
shinyuu
shinyuu

Not exactly a restaurant?

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2012

Wow, Vegalite is really interesting place. It doesn't look like a restaurant, actually it's more like a pub. I was sitting in non-smoking part, so I don't now how the other parts look, but it was really... industrial, said my friend. At the time when I was there, there was no music, no people, so I didn't like it very much, but the menu! Oh my God! So many vegan options, also gluten-free dishes, in such big portions and with so nice price (3-4€)! I love it! Maybe it looks more like a place for drinking, but food offer is wide and encouraging. And tasty! ;-)

Pros: WIDE VEGAN OFFER!!!, nice prices, big portions, beer also ;-)
Cons: not very beautiful place
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice place, lots of vegan options

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I visited "Vegalife" at its old location a few years ago and I must say, the food did not impress me. When I went to the new location at Slovakova Street I did not expect too much, but I was wrong. I had the daily menu, a smoked tofu steak with rice, salad and a spicy sauce. It was simple, but very good! The staff was very friendly and helpful and spoke English. There was a menu available in English with quite a big selection of mostly vegan food. The venue has 2 sections, one for smokers and one for non-smokers. The smoker's part is the cosier one (that's where the bar is).

Pros: good value, friendly staff, good food
Cons: the nicer part is quite smoky
_mateusz
_mateusz

Good food. Friendly staff.

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

A nice place to eat, apparently one of very few in Brno. Very casual. The food is mostly vegan, and clearly marked as such on the menu. Has a variety of meals to choose from, from traditional (dumplings with red cabbage and grilled or fried seitan/linseed-based wraps) to some quite fancy stuff. The staff is very nice, too. Special offer menu at lunchtime (until 14). I've only eaten there once while on a very short visit to Brno, but would like to come back again. The entrance from the street is marked, walk through the gate and then down the stairs.

Pros: see, review
citizen428
citizen428

Mostly great

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

As the menu informed us, the name "Vegalite" was a fusion of "V" for vegan/vegetarian and the French "égalité" (equality), meaning that all livings things are the same before nature. So +1 in the philosophy department. It's generally a very likable place, with an urban leftish atmosphere. Lots of students, free WiFi and the occasional concert don't only makes this a good place to eat, but also for just hanging out with some friends and having a drink.

Their menu (also available in English) is pretty big and vegan options are clearly marked as such. Prices are good too, with around 1 Euro for a Soup and 3-4 for a main course. Alas the meals aren't always what the name promises, for example the Kung Pao -- while very good -- had neither chilis nor peanuts, which are usually the main ingredients. Also my girlfriend's Moussaka was rather short of aubergines and heavy on potatoes instead. That doesn't mean that the food isn't good, just that you won't necessarily get what you expect. The one exception to this was my rice though, which tasted like it never even shared a room with salt, let alone touched it. Unfortunately that made my otherwise excellent meal unnecessarily bland.

From what I read elsewhere there's also a non-smoking section, which we believe was full when we got there. That's why we had to sit in the main room, which can be quite smoky, which might be a turn-off for some people. It also got to us for a while and we left instead of having another drink.

This is the type of place where I wish I could give half cows on HappyCow, but since I liked the overall atmosphere of the place, I'll give it a 4 rather than a 3.

Pros: super friendly, vegan food clearly marked, atmosphere
Cons: smoke
pavlifix
pavlifix

highly recomend

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2011

I was at the restaurant last week and I would highly recomend it to any eater. My husband, who eats meat, was very happy there and me as vegetarian I did not know what to choose. The food is excellent, the choice is wide, the beer is great and the owners are both very nice guys.

Pros: food choice, club, owners ideas
cdrk
cdrk

Nice place.

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

This friendly alternative place offers good meals for a nice price, nice music and sometimes gigs too.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Nice music
Cons: Smokers
Veinspitz
Veinspitz

Vegalite Brno - delicious

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

Vegalite is not easy to find, because you have to go along a corridor and then down the stairs to find it.
I really liked the atmosphere there, the waiter was very friendly and translated everything into English. All the meals (5 different meals were available) were vegan. The waiter said that usually, there are more meals available, but during the holidays the menu is reduced. It was very delicious and also cheap.
I certainly will come again and can recommend it to anyone.

Pros: vegan, friendly, cheap
Cons: difficult to find, the cellar walls are not perfectly paint
dog
dog

Vegalite

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2009

Friendly restaurant with very good meal.

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegalite:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Brno page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/05/09