Vegetarian cafe situated in the same complex as Gimsel health food supermarket. Renovated and expanded in summer 2012. Offers soups, salad bar, and choose your own ingredients for the wok fry. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Dutch, European, Organic, Take-out
De Groene Passage shopping centre, Mariniersweg 9 (corner Goudesingel, just outside the city centre)
Rotterdam, Netherlands 3011 NB
010-4116356

Open Mon-Sat from 8.00-23.00, closed Sun.

First Review by Stevie
Vegan Andrew
Vegan Andrew

Lots of vegan options

3 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

Everything I ate was amazing. If you are traveling and stop here be sure to use cash as they do not accept credit cards, and they weren't sure my debit card from the States would work.

As good as the food is, this place is simply beyond my budget as a traveler. I wish I had gotten a receipt so I could give a concrete example of how much food I got, but the cost was 17.75 Euro ($24 USD). I won't go back because of that alone.

Pros: Amazing array of vegan option
Cons: Price is by weight, Expensive
Sarita
Sarita

Good variety of dishes

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

You have a lot of vegan dishes to choose from the buffet. And you pay what you can eat. A lot of the dishes taste good.

Pros: Organic, Tasty, Vegan options
Cons: Price
cybergabi
cybergabi

Warning: Highly addictive!

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

About a year ago, this place has extended its opening hours and seating space, and for a reason: Everybody loves it! It's a vegetarian buffet restaurant with ca. 80% vegan dishes. They sell food by weight (minus the weight of the plate), and almost everything is just heavenly. For every dish there's a label with ingredients, which is great for people with allergies or other food intolerances. Hardly a week passes by without a dinner at Spirit, but it's also a nice place for a breakfast (they open at 8am already) or brunch. Soups, salads, hot dishes, and also some yummy pastry options. Great organic beers and wines, fresh juices/ smoothies, and even some killer cocktails. Bonus points in summer: Outdoor seating under beautiful big trees.

Pros: Huge variety of fresh food, Pay by weight = easy system, Self service: WYSIWYG
Cons: Biggest con: Closed on Sundays, Extremely busy between 6 and 8 pm, Outdoor smokers
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

So many vegan options

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

I pretty much have to echo the review below. I tried and loved almost every vegan option and there were tons of them, all clearly labeled. I spent about 16 EUR and came away completely satisfied. The seitan and tofu options were especially tasty. And there was tap water! Free water is not always so easy to find. My partner had an organic beer that he really enjoyed as well. The only downside was limited seating. We had to squeeze 3 of us into a 2 person table at the dinner hour on a weekday, but it was totally worth it.

Pros: tons of vegan options, good value, free water
Cons: limited seating
Tomvegan
Tomvegan

Spirit in Rotterdam, 10th of August 2013

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

We were going to celebrate my sister's birthday at her apartment in Rotterdam, which was a great excuse to go shopping in Rotterdam city centre and visit a restaurant. We always go to the same place: Spirit.

Spirit serves biological and vegetarian/vegan food in buffet style and you only pay for the weight of your plate. This is fair to big and small eaters and creates less waste.

We went there by train, but you can also get there by tram, bus or metro.

It's hard to say what we got exactly, because we tried basically everything there was. We only chose from the vegan options, which were about 20 dishes. Every dish is 100% described on the cards and they are marked as "vegan" and/or "gluten free". They don't have to mark vegetarian dishes, since everything is at least vegetarian.

Everything we had tasted absolutely great, I can't name one bad dish. For starters I had a big cold plate (16 EUR), which pretty much filled me up completely. For the second course I had a small hot plate (7 EUR). Although I was already stuffed, I had to eat everything I had on my plate because of the great taste (and or course because of the calories and protein!). So my stomach was extremely full on 100% biological, vegan food and that for only 23 EUR. Water is free from the tap, or you can get something else. Of course also the drinks are completely biological.

The place looks very nice, calm and relaxing. What we did notice, was that there was no music. We kinda missed that.

Food: 10/10
Service: N/A
Decor: 9/10 (no music)
Cost: 10/10
Bodybuilder-friendly: 10/10 (a lot of high protein options!)

Pros: Food, Cost, Bodybuilder-friendly

Amsterdam+girls
Amsterdam+girls

A great choice for lunch

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

A self service with a wide variety of dishes, all vegetarian and 90 percent vegan. All ingredients are clearly stated near the dishes and vegan dishes are clearly marked too. The food is fresh , the choice is great so one can always find something to his/ her taste. Some dishes are nicer than others, we tried many , some were very good and other just OK, , but all are freshly prepared and all together it is a great choice for a vegan lunch or dinner in Rotterdam . The only disappointment was on the dessert front: we tasted the vegan lemon cake which looked great but didn't taste great at all. Nevertheless would definitely recommend the place and would return on our next visit to Rotterdam .
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 19, 2013

Pros: clean, fresh, tasty
Cons: dining- room atmosphere
AnAnaN
AnAnaN

I eat here every week

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

As a vegan, I have lots of choices here - almost all dishes from the big buffet are vegan which is cleary stated on a label along with the ingredients.
It has a lot of options for extra seeds/nuts/sauces/garnishing your own dish. Mix and max from the buffet and you pay by weight. Take out is also possible, this is slightly cheaper. They also offer soy milk for the coffee as well as almond milk!
This place also has a small tap in the restaurant with tapwater and carton cups for free. Possible to sit outside as well.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, 100% vegetarian, Organic
Cons: Nonvegan food could be easily veganized, Closed on Sundays but open on Mondays
Guest
Guest

Check it out!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

Delicious vegan/vegetarian and organic food for a great price! Highly recommended.

Pros: fair price, organic ingrediƫnts, lots to choose from
DinaLun
DinaLun

great place with huge range of food

3 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

Believe me you can find everything you like here, for sure. Veg*n, raw, gluten free and other options available. Everything is healthy, tasty and clean.

• cybergabi cybergabi

So why do you only give 3 stars?

Alynda
Alynda

One of my favourites

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

A great vegetarian buffet restaurant, with vegan options clearly labeled. You only pay for what you plan to eat, which is great. The food is wonderful, with lovely vegetables long forgotten by the mass. Also have vegan pies and soy lattes. Wish I'd live in Rotterdam so I could go here more often, though right now it's really a treat to visit this place (which would be like, every time I'm in the city :)).

Pros: healthy, tasty food, only pay for what you eat, different dishes all the time
Kaari
Kaari

My favourite place!

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

Any time I go to Rotterdam and have the time to have dinner there, I make sure I go to Spirit. The food is always lovely, the atmosphere is warm and the staff is really nice. Almost everything it vegan and because it's a buffet there will always be something you like. If you haven't been there yet you should give it a try!

Bianca24
Bianca24

Amazing

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

We were there once before the renovation and we liked it a lot, but now we love it! The buffet is awsome with so many vegan dishes, I think there are even more vegan options than vegetarian dishes! All is exactly declared from vegan to glutenfree!
Best food you can find in Rotterdam, a vegan paradise!
And don't miss the "Gimsel", the organic supermarket who fullfill all desires!

Pros: Varity of vegan dishes, Opening hours, Organic
Gudrun
Gudrun

Veg*an food at its best in Rotterdam

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

"Spirit" used to be a great place, but after the recent renovation and expansion (in September 2012) it became even better! I find the atmosphere more relaxed now, due to more space at the buffet and the separation of buffet and cash desk (it is still a self-service place where you pay most of the food by weight). Every time I visit this place I plan not to take too many different dishes on my plate and take my time to enjoy one at a time, but I always end up with quite a mix because everything looks and tastes sooo good. And now there is even more variety! And I am looking at the vegan choices only: soup, salads, all kinds of main dishes (really not only wok-fry), cake... you name it! Veg*an cooking at its best, and mostly very creative. Not to forget the drinks, fresh juices and others! 5 cows!

Pros: Excellent + healthy food, Great variety of veg*an dishes, Friendly staff
sharbo
sharbo

Wow!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

This buffet style cafe was fabulous. A chic cafe inside of a sort of hip mall/market. Many choices and delicious coffee and beer, too! I would return to the establishment any time. :)

celestialstar2004
celestialstar2004

A Surprise

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

When we found Spirit we noticed it was part of Health Food Store. We were pleasantly surprised. Although it was a buffet, the food was fresh and we were able to share a bottle of local bio wine. Between the 2 of us, I think we sampled all they had to offer. I don't usually like quinoa but I had some anyway and the preparation of quinoa and cranberries made a great palate cleanser between my African and Indian entrees. We will definitly go again.
We shopped in the attached health food store and brought home some great cheese.

Pros: fresh food, wine
Cons: small talbes
Noanimal
Noanimal

Vegetarian and vegan buffet style restaurant/cafe

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

When I was living in Rotterdam I stayed around the corner from Spirit and regularly patronised this lovely place.

You take dishes from a buffet and pay by the weight. The variety and freshness is excellent! Also they have soups, bread, cakes, organic chocolate, etc. Take away is possible too.

It's a simple but nice seating area with wooden tables and chairs. I think they also opened an upstairs seating area so there is always space to sit. Usually there are a lot of Dutch people who come and socialise in this restaurant. It makes a good combination with the organic supermaket and bakery nextdoor.

It's conveniently located within walking distance from Rotterdam Central Station (20min) and Blaak Station (10 min walk) The map here on happy cow points exactly to the right location. Can't miss it!

Pros: Variety, Location, Cozy
yvo
yvo

Amazing

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2009

We've found this place because we were interested in "De Groene Passage". We did know you could eat there, we didn't know it was so good.
It's a buffet with a lot of vegan options. Fried tempeh with beans, tofu salad, baked poatoes, great avocado spread/salad. Than there are the desserts... several cookies, muffins, pies and cakes. Everything is fresh and organic. And like I said, most is vegan as well.
It's a bit pricy, but that's simply because of the quality of the products. I personally don't mind to pay a bit more for fresh and honest food.
The atmosphere is really nice and crowdy. Plus the visitors are very diverse. Office people who have their lunch break, shopping corwd, locals drinking coffee... I like that a lot! So don't go there if you want to enjoy a meal in absolute silence.

Pros: diverse crowd, lots of vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: a bit pricy
Stevie
Stevie

Spirit, Rotterdam

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2007

Spirit is a cafe in the same complex as Gimsel health food super market making it convenient if you are also looking to stock up. English spoken (doesn't everyone in Holland speak Emglish?) by the staff. Options for vegan veggies are soup, the salad bar and the wok fry where you select your own ingredients. Sandwiches and savouries are also available for lacto ovo veggies. Easily less than 10 mins walk to both Stadhuis and Blaak metros.

Pros: Vegan veggie options, Handy for Gimsel, OK hours and location

Dear Owner and Manager of Spirit: