Serves meat, veg options available. Nice setting. Price: Moderate more-less

AlessandroPalmesi
AlessandroPalmesi

Good Food, Nice Staff

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

I went here for dinner in March and I found the food very good. I strongly suggest the vegan chickpeas dish and also the rice with cashews and vegetables.
Friendly staff that explain what is vegan in the menu'.
It's not cheap but it's OK for a very good meal in Venice.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere
Cons: Prices
Cabbey
Cabbey

Mixed feelings!

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

We are huge Indian food fans and were really looking forward to eating here. A previous review mentioned getting chicken pakoras instead of veg, so we were already on our guard. The waiter took forever to serve us as it was relatively busy but was helpful and told use what was vegan. We were with 4 meat eaters, and when the first course came out (because of the previous review) we cut everything open with a knife first, only to find we had been given the meat dish and our friends had been given the vegan. We could only have Dahl as a main dish and when I asked if they would make me a madras instead it was unfortunately a flat "No". All that being said, the food was lovely, although if staying in Venice any longer I probably wouldn't have returned.

Pros: Nice food
Cons: Mixed up with meat dishes, Long waiting time to be served, Unmoveable when asking for something different on
Eyakmek
Eyakmek

classic veg Indian food

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Very tasty! A bit further up the street than where google maps draws it

sookisoo
sookisoo

We were invisible

2 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

We went there 3 weeks ago and were made very welcome. We were given the option of a tucked away table to the immediate right of the door which was a little niche. Unfortunately the staff forgot that the niche (and we) were there and there was an hour between each course and order. I kept having to get up and ask if they had fogotten us. I had even pointed out to the lady their mention on Happy Cow.com and said they were generally well thought of. She was very interested, but not enough to consider that I may have been inclined to give a review....they mustn't have thought we had pcs at home as they completely ignored us. I was so looking forward to the meal. The food was lovely and the veg set meal, which we had between us, came to 42 Euros including a carafe of sparkling wine. The service was so abysmal we gave a one Euro tip. I did want to go back and give them another chance another night, as the Italian veg food was so predictable elsewhere, but my companion refused.

Pros: Nice food, lovely atmosphere, friebndly staff-when they turned up
Cons: WCs were dirty, They went to India for food as we waited, we were invisible to staff, and no apol
xeschx
xeschx

Highs and lows

3 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

I like Indian food, so it was a duty to visit Ganesh Ji.
The (six) dishes were mostly nice but very simple for the price we had to pay.
The thing I was most annoyed about was that no rice was surved to the dishes, not even to a curry, so you had to order it seperatly. We were very surprised to pay 7 EUR (!) for a cup rice for 2 persons.
The mango lassi was delicious but it couldn't balance the "rice trap".

Pros: nice food, central position
Cons: value for money
pradipd
pradipd

Disappointing

2 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2009

After the raving reviews, I wanted to try it, since in Venice, it is very easy to get a bad meal...almost every meal is bad! Unfortunately, perhaps I went to Ganeshji on a bad day, but the experience was disappointing. They were extremely busy, and had just the owner and her manager catering to at least 10 tables. This is a typical Indian restaurant... nothing special. The naan and the parathas were under done and almost half cooked. The subzis were not too bad. However, 2 things left a bad taste. When we got the bill, we saw a cover charge of 2.5 Euro per person. This was not mentioned any where at the entrance or on the menu. In 4 days and 8 meals in venice, we did not encounter a cover charge when we had a full meal. A cover charge is normally adjusted against the bill. But it was not done here. Secondly, their door and the inside were plastered with all credit card signs. Yet, we I wanted to pay with my card, they claimed the machine was not working. It is almost impossible, that in this day and age, both Amex and Mastercard / Visa machines would not be working at the same time.

Lastly, I am not sure why this restaurant is listed in Happy Cow. As I said this is a typical Indian restaurant with meat items as well. In that case, this site would be inundated with hundreds of Indian restaurants in almost every city!

Pros: Only Indian Restaurant in Venice
Cons: Cover charge, Credit cards not accepted, Breads were under cooked
  • avokadomania avokadomania

This restaurant is listed here because they have a special section of the menu that contains some vegetarian and vegan items+ Indian restaurants aren't common in Italy.

veganpiggy
veganpiggy

best meal in Venice

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2008

After several horrendous meals in Venice, we were thrilled to find Ganesh Ji. Finding it though was quite an experience, the maps are useless, just wander around until you find it. Anyway the food was delicious, one of the better Indian meals I've had and definitely the best meal in Venice. The view was beautiful, gondolas going by every minute. The wait staff was super friendly - they even let me get 2 half sized portions of food because I wanted to try more than one dish. Overall great experience.

Pros: delicious!!, great view, friendly
Cons: hard to find, but it's Venice afterall
farwizard
farwizard

A wonderful discovery

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

I had just gone vegan only 3 weeks on visiting Venice last week. Ganesh made it simple. Wonderful food, a lovely setting and both the Hindu chef and the ownder Patrizia made such an effort to make us welcome. The only day closed is Wednesday or I would have eaten here every night. Thank you Patrizia for wonderful food, understanding both vegetarian and vegan needs and making our Venice holiday. Such an genuinely pleasant host made our whole holiday.

Pros: Excellent food, Understands veggie and vegan needs, Welcoming friendly host and staff
Cons: closed on Wednesdays

Dear Owner and Manager of Ganesh Ji: