Cafeteria style setting with counter service. Hot food and salad buffet features a variety of cold and warm dishes including fresh vegetables, bread included with an order of soup or main dish, raw and cooked salad bar items, butternut squash soup, curry vegetable pie, lasagna, whole-grain couscous and vegetables. Main dishes are sold by piece, and the salad bar is by weight. The restaurant employs special needs persons as part of its social action policy. Staff speaks English. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Western, Israeli, Salad bar, Buffet, Take-out, Delivery
33 Jaffa Street (Nahalat Shiva)
Jerusalem, Israel

Floatingduck
Floatingduck

Pizza!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2014

I tried the restaurant in 2012 and again in 2014. It is maybe not the cleanest place, but the location is great, you have a lot of vegan choices and i liked the pizza and the chocolate cake! The staff was both times very friendly. I can recommend this place.

TheresaKuttner
TheresaKuttner

Great place, delicious food

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

The food I had today was delicious! They don' t price by weight anymore, and there are two options available now. One is with soup, the other without. I decided to go without soup, as I wasn't that hungry anyways. You get a (mid size) plate and can choose from the buffet (all vegan, except the yoghurt dressing). There was no restriction on how many dishes you can choose. I posted a picture of the plate I put together. The price was 44 NIS. I also couldn't resist and got a cake (26 NIS) as well (vegan lemon cheesecake - see foto) which was also amazing!
Absolutely loved it - will eat there again. I also consider the prices to be absolutely fair!

Pros: Friendly staff, Great variety of foods
SaraSusan
SaraSusan

Vergood vegetarian restaurant, very vegan-friendly

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

A very good restaurant with a large variety of healthful vegetarian dishes, with many vegan options. It's not gormet, but the food is well prepared and appetizing. Ambience is good, though not intimate. My husband and I, who are vegans and live in Jerusalem, eat there about once a week. Very good value.

Pros: Good value for good food, You take only as much as you want to eat, Very friendly and helpful staff
Cons: Not particularly romantic, No fancy dishes

LewisandMarie
LewisandMarie

Friendly, tasty and plenty

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

Found by chance, we really enjoyed stopping by at the village green during our trip to Jerusalem. Very friendly staff who make you feel welcome and take you through patiently their wide choice of fresh food. The place is cosy but we always found a place to sit.

Pros: Friendly staff, Choice of food
ZoliCow
ZoliCow

Oasis of Vegan food

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

Village Green is an oasis of vegan food in Jerusalem, a city that in my experience as a 4 day tourist doesn't seem to offer a lot of options for healthy, plant-based food. It's a salad & food bar with a good variety, including vegetable dishes, tofu/tempeh, beans/lentils, salad etc. It is my primary (almost only) source for plant-based protein in Jerusalem and close enough to Jafa gate, so it's my regular after-sight-seeing place.

Everything tastes good to really good, including the desserts. Haven't tried to soups. Prices are normal for Israel, for a main plate + a fresh juice, I usually pay 50-65.

5* for being a fast, high quality buffet place in great location.

emchait
emchait

Hot food

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2013

I don't know about you, but I hate how dairy restaurants tend to have little to no vegan food. Luckily there is Village Green where vegans don't have to put up with lackluster food anymore.

I didn't try the chocolate cake since I wasn't sure it was vegan and I was already full from the buffet.

Pros: Kosher, Hot food, Friendly staff
giu86
giu86

Veggie Paradise

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2013

Big range of declared Vegan food.
Enough space for indoor and outside eating. Very clean restaurant and friendly staff

Pros: Cleanliness, Food Variety, Space
Cons: Price
andrea
andrea

Good choice

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

Easy to find central location is a plus. There were good vegan options, though all the quiches were dairy. We got a Broccoli-sweet potato pie, you get a quarter of a pie for 33nis, which was good and well-cooked but not mushy. The soy goulash was good, but not super-flavorful. It was nice to have lots of options like roasted potatoes, brown rice or bulghur to put it on. We got the highly recommended vegan chocolate cake. It came with a little pile of fruit bits as a garnish. I guess some people don't get out much, because the cake was barely OK. It has a grainy cocoa sort of taste, and is not a cake anyway, but a mousse pie sort of thing. We got the large piece for 33nis, a smaller one is 19. The large is not exactly huge, but OK to share. Anyway, once we tasted it, we didn't care that the serving was not so big. I guess if you don't have access to good vegan baking, this is a treat. Otherwise, skip it! The food is not exactly pricey, but definitely not a bargain either.

Pros: location, friendly, it's veg
Cons: uninspired
katlove
katlove

Cake and Smoothies

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

A vegan friend and I stopped by Village Green after getting lost in the old city. Not hungry for a meal, we got a slice of the vegan chocolate cake and some smoothies. The cake came with a side of beautiful fresh fruit. The cake was certainly worth the visit and the smoothies nice as well.

We didn't try the savory food or salads so no comment on that. But the place is cute, clean, has outdoor seating, and friendly service.

Review based on a visit in 2010

Pros: The vegan cake, is very good!, ...yes, it is.
pontrjagin
pontrjagin

Excellent food! Helpful staff!

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2009

All dishes were delicate! The owners were very friendly; we had to go to Tel Aviv so they phoned for a taxi.

Pros: staff, vegan options
Petesternz
Petesternz

Good all around - great cake!

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2008

I generally agree with the reviews posted below. This is hardly the best vegan restaurant I've ever been to, but it was a solid place to visit. The vegan chocolate cake is very good, like a yummy chocolate mousse (though the crust could be better). We arrived right at noon, and the cafeteria style food was very fresh. Our salads were all delicious, and we appreciated that the vegan options were all clearly marked. It was hardly ambitious cuisine, but still very tasty. We particularly liked their tempeh salad, which was the pick of the bunch. I agree with some of the reviewers that this place is NOT cheap. You pay by weight, and either I had some heavy options, or this was just expensive!!!

Pros: Good food, delicious cake, nice atmosphere
Cons: Expensive
bengigit
bengigit

Vegan chocolate cake

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

I can't comment on the veggie options (though friends that came there with me weren't very impressed by the quiche), but as for the vegan options: some of them are really good, others are bland, and unfortunately, you need to know them well enough to be able to choose. The brown rice salad (with raisins, walnuts and beansprouts) is lovely, and the salad bar in general is far better (and cheaper) than the quiche or pie you get in slices. I know a good amount of people who work/ed there so I can definitely say they treat their staff well, which is a serious pro as isn't always the case in restaurants. The place has been very "americanised" in the past few years, most days you'd walk in and everyone eating would be American. Usually in Jerusalem it is a bad sign for a restaurant.
The one thing worth going there for (and you can even just go there to take it home with you) is the vegan chocolate cake, which is one of the best I've ever had. Who needs food when you can have vegan chocolate cake? Rating is an average - I'd rate them 3 for food, and 5 for the cake.

A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Jerusalem's bad vegan monopoly

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

The only reason that The Village Green has lasted so long and become a staple of Jerusalem vegan life is because of the derth of competition. On my most recent trip, The best thing one of my companions had to say about it was "disgusting". The restaurant is arranged cafeteria style and the meals are measured by weight. Sounds cheap? IT ISNT!! it is incredibly overpriced my cousin paid 40 sheqels for a smallish salad that tasted terrible. We also tried the curry vegetable pie (which tasted like it had no curry in it and had a sour after taste)the stuffed pepper (which was just gross mush inside of a pepper) and the baked tofu pieces (which look good but taste raw) None of us were full after the meal and all of us were nauseous. I appreciate the contributions that the Village green has made to Jerusalem vegetarians but i hope in the near future, for Jerusalemites and every1 else, that a better vegan/vege restaurant will open in jerusalem. One that actually has affordable food which tastes good.One that can actually show jerusalemites how tasty good vegetarian food can be.

Pros: Very overpriced, Bad food, loud
Cons: Alot of options, Great location

Dear Owner and Manager of Village Green: