Serves meat, veg options available. Has separate and extensive vegetarian/vegan menu and kitchen. Vietnamese food prepared with fresh vegetable, tofu, and imitation meat. Quiet atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Vietnamese, Take-out, Non-veg

VegInTheMidwest
VegInTheMidwest

Delicious!

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

Extensive vegetarian menu with tofu and mock meat. We shared veggie spring rolls and I had the veg wonton soup. Both were really yummy. My only criticism is what I have for most Asian restaurants and that is that I loathe cilantro and it isn't always listed as an ingredient. Given how so many people dislike it, it would be nice if it were listed. The atmosphere was good and I found the staff friendly and helpful. We spent $33 on two drinks, an appetizer and two entrees, one with.meat. I felt like I got a generous amount of soup for the price. Would definitely go back.

Pros: Extensive veg menu, Mock meats and tofu, Yummy
Cons: Sneaky Cilantro!
bexn
bexn

Must go for pho on the Eastside

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

This is my favorite place to go for pho on the Eastside! Portions are huge, I always have to bring half of mine home for later. They have an extensive vegetarian/vegan menu available for those who'd prefer something other than pho. Square Lotus maintains two kitchens, one for their meat dishes and one for their vegetarian dishes so you never have to worry your food being prepared in dishes or oil that meat has been prepared in.

I have not been able to confirm with them that their faux meat is vegan. I had one waitress tell me that they make their own and another waiter tell me that they purchase it but he didn't know the brand. From looks alone, it looks like they use VegeFarm, which is carried in all of the local Asian markets. Most of what is carried is vegetarian, not vegan. Again, I do not know this for sure, it's a guess. Because of this, I only order dishes that use fresh tofu or vegetables only. I am allergic to eggs & whey which VegeFarms uses in many of their products so I cannot chance it. I will try to confirm this again the next time I go in.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 28, 2014

Pros: Large portions, Good value, Friendly staff
  • kindlizard kindlizard

it isn't vegan. I was told it was initially only to be told the truth after the fact. not cool

VinceVandemolegraaf
VinceVandemolegraaf

A must go for Pho

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

This is one of my favorite restaurants on the Eastside. A large vegan menu with many options. The pho is outstanding and never had a bad meal. It gets very busy during weekday lunch time. The staff is very friendly and always helpful with vegan/vegetarian/gluten free options. If the party your with has mixed diets the is the place to be.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 29, 2014

Pros: Choice, Many vegan/vegetarian options, Flavorful
Cons: Very busy at lunch time

veggiemates
veggiemates

Lots of yummy veggie choices

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

Square lotus has a separate extensive vegetarian section on their menu. Our favorite is the Lemongrass Noodle Bowl, with tofu or veggie chicken, ordered extra spicy. Also excellent Pho, with several veggie variations.

Pros: lots of veggie choices, xlnt food
Cons: disposable chopsticks
kindlizard
kindlizard

not bad, not great, FREEZING inside

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

It is hard to enjoy a meal when there is no heat. I think they had a door or window open in the kitchen bc when the front door opened, there was a swirling wind. I think it is inappropriate to have your diners so cold, bundled in coats and scarves to eat.

The food was ok. The spring rolls were better than some but nothing truly remarkable. The other veg apps were all deep fried, and I have a feeling it would be the same fryer as the meat dishes.

Note: bc the listing was anonymously by a guest and no one had to log in to enter it, I can't pm the lister to see how this place was vetted. Rule change that is necessary.

I ordered Pho. I have never had the chance to eat Pho, it is never vegan. I was not a fan. It was bland and sour. Maybe I just don't get it. The waitress also had no time for us, but plenty of time for our neighbors. I ordered the soup since it was FREEZING in the cafe. My date got a "beef" dish w sesame that was like a "beef" & broc. That was good. I didn't lie the Pho so ordered another dish that was similar to the "beef".

The waitress when asked about the fake meat being vegan said a lot of contradictory things. Forst she said her entire Veg menu was vegan, but I quickly pointed out the egg noodles, to which she said don't order that. I have a bad feeling that it may not be as straight in the back as we as vegans would hope.

It took nearly half an hour to pay the bill. It was cold in there. She gave tea to the other table, but not to us.... I'd say service is an issue and knowing for sure if it is vegan is another. She wrote down a few words to check the products but she never looked for it. I dunno y'all, I won't be rushing back.

Put the heat on!
DAIRY WAS IN MY VEGAN FOOD.
They lied!!!

Pros: some veg food
Cons: FREEZING COLD, pho schmo/ not sure about vegan, eternity to leave, no tea
  • kindlizard kindlizard

Also I was DUPED! The lady said all her "meats" were vegan and they used a BRAND named Pure as their non-dairy milk. Pure milk isn't a brand, it is homogenized MILK. She has been lying to her vegan clientele at that rate. ISSUES!!!

sandition
sandition

Love, Love, Love!

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

This is my favorite restaurant! Nice family owned restaurant and wonderful food!

Pros: delicious, large portions, lunch specials
Cons: busy during lunch
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Great food!

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

The food here is very good. The last time I went, I shared a few dishes with 4 meat-eaters. We ordered mango "chicken", yellow curry "chicken", green beans and tofu, fried rice, and had summer rolls as an appetizer. Everything was wonderful. The yellow curry was so creamy and coconutty. The mango "chicken" comes with a lot of mango, and it is fresh and delicious. Everything was fabulous. The staff were very friendly, and even accommodated my grandmother's request for a no-sodium meal. I will definitely be coming back here the next time I'm in Seattle.

Pros: Yummy food, good service, mangoes
Cons: also has a meat menu

Awesome vegan food!

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2008

I went here with my mom on holiday and it was AMAZING. We ordered a lot of food: vegetarian lettuce wraps, vegetarian hot and sour soup, sweet and spicy vegetarian chicken, and lemongrass vegetarian chicken. I can't believe we ate everything! It was so amazing! everything we had was so very good. The prices are great too, I think we paid $42.00 for everything including drinks. Also, the people that work there are so nice and adorable.

Pros: great food, awesome people, good prices
Cons: not 100% vegetarian
mattsaavedra
mattsaavedra

Great Veggie Pho, Really good prices

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

The veggie pho at this place is amazing, as are most of their dishes. Mange veggie "chicken" is great too. We like their appetizers and sometimes get the "beef" skewers or the awesome spring rolls served with a yummy peanut sauce. Try their lime and coconut drinks!

Pros: Veggie Veitnamese, Great Prices, Friendly service
carrot_cake
carrot_cake

Favorite restaurant!!

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2007

It's by far one of the best restaurants on the Eastside for both vegans and meat eaters. If you like good vietnamese food, you won't regret it.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

YUMMY!!!!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2007

Review: VERY GOOD VEGAN FOOD!
The only bad thing about this restraunt is has a vegan menu
and it has a 'regular' menu. So, its still supporting the omnivores
. The vegan food they make is incredible however..and i try to recommend it to all people in veg community! :)

LauraGrey
LauraGrey

Fresh, inventive and delicious

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2007

Wow! What a relief to find an excellent non-chain restaurant on the Eastside with a huge and varied selection of vegetarian dishes! The food here is consistently delicious, well-prepared, inventive and satisfying. It's a wonderland for vegetarians, too. They have a lot of dishes with meat analogs, i.e., fake meat made from veggie sources, and while some vegetarians find them too realistic, I think the variety of textures and flavors is excellent. Sauces are flavorful without being too salty or overbearing, which lets the freshness and subtlety of the other ingredients shine. The vegetarian almond "chicken" and barbecued "pork" skewers are favorites. Service is friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Atmosphere is pretty without being stuffy. Our new favorite Eastside restaurant!

Pros: Many vegetarian offerings, Inventive menu, Fresh and delicious

Dear Owner and Manager of Square Lotus: