Vegetarian Indian restaurant. Gujarati style cuisine featuring a thali special of 10-course combination platter for around $11 each person. Also has a small a la carte sides menu. Vegans may have a difficult time and should ask about ingredients because ghee butter and dairy is used in most dishes. No alcohol. Location is on the 2nd floor. Interior is decorated semi-formal with nice oversize furniture. Parking in lot or on the street. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet
18525 Pioneer Blvd 2F (Little India)
Artesia, California 90701
562-402-9102

Open daily for lunch and dinner.

First Review by sallyseven
chobesoy
chobesoy

• herbivore

Flavorful all you can eat non-buffet Indian

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

The best sign of an ethnic food restaurant is to see it packed with people of that ethnicity. I went to Rajdhani for a Saturday lunch and it was packed with Indian families which made me immediately happy. (Parking on the street was impossible btw, we braved the parking lot. Don't use it if you have a large car with a small turning radius.) As much as we love them, and as veggie friendly as they are, Indian buffets are commonplace now and the usual dishes are almost interchangeable. I knew there was a lot more to offer but I didn't know where to go to try something more authentic. To my great joy I finally discovered the little india area of Los Angeles! Having moved here a few years ago I'm a little embarrassed to only find it now, but better late than never! Rajdhani turned out to be a great place to start. They explained how the place works, and it's perfect for those who don't know what to order - you have no choice here but your plates are continuously refilled as you eat. For indecisive people, this is awesome. You get "all of the above!" And being a vegetarian restaurant, you can eat all that they bring you without having to ask what is veggie safe [note: it's not vegan]. There are several small bowls at your table and a large platter, and the staff diligently keeps everything filled unless you tell them you're filled to the brim. The flavors are very deep and these are not buffet style mass-quantity dishes, although the quantity is all you can eat. As explained to us, it's family style, you eat what your parents bring you, and it's all made with care. Unfortunately I don't know the names of what we ate, I just know I got refills in everything and had enough breads for a few meals. I only caution those who don't have a hot palate, as some dishes are spicier than others so go with friends who can take the spice and let you know which ones are within your range. They told us the spicy level was mild...but remember Indian scales are a little different than others, so use your own judgement if you eat the deep fried chili peppers. Overall, I loved this place, and I loved being the only party of non-Indian descent here. I ate until I could eat no more. After paying (easy, reasonable, the same price for everyone), we left, making our way through the pack of indian families in the waiting area. I was a very content, veggie indian fan here!

Pros: authentic , lovely ambiance, eat everything, no thinking involved
Cons: can't adjust spice level for everyone
kenvegan
kenvegan

No Vegan options at Rajdhani

2 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2011

I just walked out of this restaurant after I was told that they have no vegan options. All dishes contain dairy according to the person I spoke with.

Cons: no vegan options
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Thali ho!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2010

Truly excellent thali - the best in Little India.

This is the essential (Gujarati?) thali experience. Once you're seated the wait staff provide you with plates, lassi and water, and food. There's no menu, you just sit down and they start bringing you stuff. It's kind of a fun experience - even better on a Friday or Saturday evening when it's packed with families and folks enjoying themselves. And keep eating, the wait staff make their rounds and stop by frequently to top off your plates and vessels.

Rajdhani change what they serve every day or nearly every day so besides the basics (papad, chapati, puri, some kind of pakoras or dokla (or both), curry soups, rice, etc.) you're likely to have a different experience with the main veggie dishes each time you go. Sometimes it's chana, sometimes eggplant, sometimes potatoes, sometimes daal, sometimes something else. Almost always a combination of these & always really good.

Totally affordable at about $14 per person, especially if you eat a lot. 100% vegetarian, delicious, hot, fresh, authentic food & extremely satisfying.

Note: The parking structure is really goofy. I suggest you avoid it and park on the street somewhere; I've never had a problem parking in the residential environs.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 20, 2010

Pros: Fresh, Affordable, Great Staff
Cons: Parking
sallyseven
sallyseven

So Full!

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2009

I ate here twice as a vegetarian and it was delicious but extremely difficult to go back to the office afterward because I was so full.

First off, the restaurant is sort of a vegetarian Indian buffet (Gujarati specifically); except, the food is brought to you at the table. The food is served in courses and the servers are extremely attentive. You can ask for as much as you'd like on any item they place in your large silver dish and many accompanying smaller dishes. Often, you end up over eating since they are so eager to refill your dishes.

It's a good time for everyone I've brought here (Vegetarians and Carnivores alike). The lunch includes a yogurt drink and desert.

It's really a unique and fun experience that anyone who love Indian food should enjoy.

Pros: Indian food!, Huge Portions, Friendly Staff
Cons: pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Rajdhani: