Jay Bharat Market and...

Small Indian market and vegetarian restaurant with sit-down tables and a counter display of various sweets and snacks. Serves Gujarati style and South Indian snack foods and meals. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Heroelux
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Not Satisfactory

2 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

Jay Bharat is not...good.

When I go to a new veggie place, especially an Indian one, I tend to stick with ordering what's familiar so I have a baseline for comparison. I ordered your very basic South Indian fare - a Mysore-style dosa, palak paneer, veggie pakoras, and idli & sambar.

None of the food tasted particularly fresh or whole. Pakoras are supposed to come out hot and crisp, and these were tepid, limp, and undercooked. Strike. The palak paneer was likewise only lukewarm, although the paneer was satisfactory and saved the dish. The dosa seemed like it had been sitting out for ages and they just stuck it in the microwave (I don't know that to be the case for sure, that's just how it seemed) - it was heavy and dull.

Good vegetarian Indian food doesn't leave you feeling like you just got punched half a dozen times in the gut.

While one of the counter attendants was nice, the guy who I'm assuming is the proprietor was pretty coarse and unfriendly.

You'd be much better off skipping Jay Bharat & heading to Udupi Palace or Rajdhani, the former being the better of the two IMO.

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Food not hot/fresh
Heroelux
Heroelux

Good Food- Confusing Menu

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2008

When we first walked in, it was hectic. There were no signs indicating whether or not we should wait to be seated or order first. We sat down and realized nobody was going to help, so we went to the counter-- unfortunately, the menu is something like deciphering the DaVinci Code.

We just ordered 3 combo meals and hoped for the best. It would have been nice to be able to tell what we ordered in case we wanted to order again, however, we were just as confused when the food came to the table.

The food was amazing, all of it. The combos are fair priced about $10 or less, and you get a good variety of food. I would definitely go back, but avoid the weekend, it gets hectic. It's a mass of people with no organization.

Pros: Good Food
Cons: Confusing Menu, Unorganized

Dear Owner and Manager of Jay Bharat Market and Restaurant: