Jay Bharat Market and Resta...

Small Indian market and vegetarian restaurant with sit-down tables and a counter display of various sweets and snacks. Serves Gujarati style and South Indian snack foods and meals. Open Tue-Sun. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out
18701 Pioneer Blvd (Little India)
Artesia, California 90701
562-924-3310

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Heroelux
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

Fantastic tasty spot

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

This place must have improved since the last reviews, we had a great experience here. Yes it's a small place and not for a fancy date, but if your fancy date enjoys delicious and filling grub, this is a local joint that will satisfy.
First, we go in on a random weekday night and it's packed with Indian families, a very good sign. We go to the center area that has all the desserts displayed and the menu board above. One of the managers asked what we would like and we said we wanted dinner but hadn't been here before. He happily got menus and began to explain what they had, soon recommending that we get two of the thali combos.
The food came out quickly and he came over to briefly explain what we had, and later asked if everything was ok, sweet as pie. :)
The food was delicious. While I wish there was less dairy (the salted milk, and one of the soups was a bit heavy with it) the rest was pretty much vegan. Just one dish from each thali had paneer. The squash soup was delightfully sweet and another favorite was the okra which I was glad did not have the usual sliminess. Just be careful if you're cautious on spice. True to this area, even mild amounts can be a decent sinus clearing - my favorite level!
I ate like a queen and was near bursting at the end. And as the place was getting ready to close, around 9, we noticed there were still large family parties there, still making their way through their mounds of food. It seems we hit a local favorite :)

Pros: Friendly, Delicious, flavorful, Fast, affordable, filling
Cons: Casual (not really a con though)
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Not Satisfactory

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

Jay Bharat is not...good.

When I go to a new veggie place, especially an Indian one, I tend to stick with ordering what's familiar so I have a baseline for comparison. I ordered your very basic South Indian fare - a Mysore-style dosa, palak paneer, veggie pakoras, and idli & sambar.

None of the food tasted particularly fresh or whole. Pakoras are supposed to come out hot and crisp, and these were tepid, limp, and undercooked. Strike. The palak paneer was likewise only lukewarm, although the paneer was satisfactory and saved the dish. The dosa seemed like it had been sitting out for ages and they just stuck it in the microwave (I don't know that to be the case for sure, that's just how it seemed) - it was heavy and dull.

Good vegetarian Indian food doesn't leave you feeling like you just got punched half a dozen times in the gut.

While one of the counter attendants was nice, the guy who I'm assuming is the proprietor was pretty coarse and unfriendly.

You'd be much better off skipping Jay Bharat & heading to Udupi Palace or Rajdhani, the former being the better of the two IMO.

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Food not hot/fresh
Heroelux
Heroelux

Good Food- Confusing Menu

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2008

When we first walked in, it was hectic. There were no signs indicating whether or not we should wait to be seated or order first. We sat down and realized nobody was going to help, so we went to the counter-- unfortunately, the menu is something like deciphering the DaVinci Code.

We just ordered 3 combo meals and hoped for the best. It would have been nice to be able to tell what we ordered in case we wanted to order again, however, we were just as confused when the food came to the table.

The food was amazing, all of it. The combos are fair priced about $10 or less, and you get a good variety of food. I would definitely go back, but avoid the weekend, it gets hectic. It's a mass of people with no organization.

Pros: Good Food
Cons: Confusing Menu, Unorganized

Dear Owner and Manager of Jay Bharat Market and Restaurant: