Serves meat, veg options available. Offers many vegetarian items, including sushi made with vegetables. Try the buddist delight spicy curry roll, kiss the smiling pig tempura sweet potato roll, the Kubl Kahn tempura artichoke hearts with roasted garlic and black bean, and the home brew green tea ginger lemon grass beer. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Sake, Non-veg

First Review by merylnro
veggiesattva
veggiesattva

Best vegetarian sushi menu I've ever seen

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

If you're going to be in New Haven, and you've ever liked sushi either before or after going veg, you seriously need to eat here. I wish I could give it 5 cows! Bun Lai, the head chef, is a local legend, very into sustainable practices and whimsical fusion creations. For you the vegetarian, this means "the largest vegetarian sushi menu in the world" (their phrase): around 15 cheap sushi items (8 rolls for $3.50) and another 2 dozen fancy options that range in higher prices. The descriptions are often more colorful than informative, but everything is surprising and wonderful. I've only had one actually disappointing roll here, and it was better the next time I had it. Eat everything! I usually order 1 fancy roll and 1 cheap roll per person for a very satisfying meal.

They are Very vegan friendly. My fiance and I went and had the Very Hungry Caterpillar dinner (highly recommended to those with $50 to spend and faith in the sushi chefs), asked for the whole thing vegan, and they didn't even bat an eye. We ended up with 12!! different vegan sushis, all incredible and I didn't even miss the cheese I used to get in rolls here.

Sake menu is totally awesome, and the firecracker sake with hot red chilis in it is a local favorite. I also recommend the Tokyo 'Fro appetizer which has an absolutely worthless description on the menu, but is a great crunchy noodle dish with a tangy orange sauce (possibly not vegan?), very fun. Drink sake, eat sushi, omg. Although you will never again be satisfied with normal sushi places' lame avocado & cucumber roll options :(

Pros: incredibly creative, huge selection, great sake
Cons: fancy rolls are a little pricey
jennifer.wright
jennifer.wright
  • raw

Fantabulous!

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2009

I love the food here. There are lots of vegan options. The service is wonderful. The drinks are great. My favorite thing on the menu is the kiss the smiling piggie roll.

Pros: delicious, creative, fun
Cons: I wish they were all veggie, Not gonna happen, but a girl can dream
Guest
Guest

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

I have been going to Miyas for quite sometime now. I love everything about Miyas. Including the awesome food. Its so nice to go for veggie sushi and be able to choose from more than just cucumber, avocado and sweet potato rolls! The chef Bun Lai is a cilinary genius and he is also a great guy. His mom , who own the place is such a sweet lady! All the waitstaff and the kitchen staff are friendly and accomodating. My friends and I go to Miyas as often as we possibly can and each time is better than the last. There are alot of great veggie options to choose from, all the rolls are great, you cannot go wrong. You must try the miso soup, Tokyo Fries and Salad Days...all super YUMMY! As for drinks Im partial to the Shinjiku (sp?) Shimmy beer, but try a sake bomb with firecracker sake...you wont be sorry! The sakes are homemade and delicious. Veggies who want something new with thier sushi and just a great time in a great place...check out Miyas!

merylnro
merylnro

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

I heard so much about this place and everything was right on!! This restaurant rocks, I am sorry I wasted my money at Ahimsa which is literally right across the steet. I started my meal off with two appetizers, the Tokyo fries and vegetable gyoza, which was okay but nothing compared to the main course. The shrimp avocado teriyaki roll and, ginger eggplant teriyaki roll. I thought I died and went to heaven. These warm rolls with the crispy outside coating melts in your mouth. Our waiter was very helpful in making suggestions being that it was my first time here.
The sushi chef sent over 2 kwanzaa bananzaa rolls, (a coconut covered roll of shrimp, avocado, cream cheese, papaya, burdock & hot pepper) All was tasty and fresh, too full for dessert, perhaps next time,,,I will be back here, this is a keeper.

Pros: creative, excellent cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: can't stop eating, no room for dessert, can't think of a 3rd
  • veganrunner veganrunner

Please note that Happy Cow is designed to rate vegetarian and vegan dishes, therefore recommending animal flesh or a dish containing animal flesh is inappropriate.

Dear Owner and Manager of Miya's Sushi: