Luk Yea Yan

Air-conditioned double storey building. Serves Chinese and Western vegetarian food with economic rice as well a la carte menu. Special dishes include bah kut teh, tomyam laksa, nasi lemak. Also sells a large selection of prepackaged food. Chinese name: 鹿野苑素食馆. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Chinese, Malaysian, Catering, Take-out
33 Lorong Madras, Georgetown
Penang, Malaysia 10400
+604-2281148

Open Mon-Tue, Thur-Sun 7:30am-3pm, 5:30-9:30pm, closed Wed.

First Review by raphalla
Neeruam
Neeruam

Seems to be a popular place

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

The restaurant was crowded when I went there on a Monday evening. Mayba that's why the waiter took such a long time to give me my plate... However, three tables of customers who came after me were served before me...

Anyway, the food was delicious, good for the price. I had sweet and sour fake meat with rice, and even I took the small portions it was well enough for me.

Pros: Very tasty food, Clan and cosy place, Good quantity
Cons: Service quite long
walter007
walter007

Warmth n love!!!

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

The owner of the shop said although the business hours is closed between 3pm-530pm but if you walk in and there are staff in the kitchen ( always will ), they will serve you too as the motto is to spread vegetarianism by providing convenience for others to get veg food ( not primarily for profit )
Kudos!!!

Pros: various options, air-con and super clean, cozy with old structured building
Cons: lack of parking lot
veggiebubble
veggiebubble

Best economy rice in Penang!

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

This is the best place for economy rice that I have come across in Penang. All of the dishes are really tasty. There is lots of mock meat but likewise quite a few vegetable dishes. Brown and white rice available. Very good selection of food. Nice takeaway options too - steamed buns and tasty treats wrapped in banana leaf (not sure what they were but tasted good!)

The tables are kept clean and the place generally seems clean. It's located in a nice building and has air con.

Yes the man at the desk is far from friendly but everything else makes up for that ;-)

Pros: Good selection of tasty food, Air con, Clean
vegelover
vegelover

Tasty food

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

This is first time visiting their restaurant after their move. Very near Lily's.

Actually prefer old place. At this new place seem a bit cluttered. Like usual the Uncle ? boss sat the table and told you how much.

A few kuihs and even jian bao!

I think food wise is tasty but a bit expensive cf to other vegetarian places.

Not sure if they still have their very yummy Poh Piah & Lobak!
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 03, 2013

Forget to mention, they closed on wednesday.

Pros: Variety of food, Tasty
Cons: A bit expensive cf to others, Cluttered
Teppiedoo
Teppiedoo

Our favorite place!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

Wonderful, clean, and delicious. Very affordable. Easy to get to on the Rapid Penang bus system!

Pros: good price, great food, easy to get to location

dimitri
dimitri

• raw

Cozy place

3 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

It's cozy place with great selection of food:) it's jay style not real restaurant with cold dishes pre cooked so the quality is so so, however some are really good like the zucchini raw pasta and 1-2 other dishes. Notice that those they complain for msg that msg is in all south Asia in instant noodles, soy sauce, substitute meat, miso and many other variety of food. Unfortunate it's everywhere from cheaper restaurant to most expensive so in my own view is needless to mention it. I found negative reviews about this restaurant about msg when the same person list a positive review for another restaurant that is also use msg, so why to discriminate?

Pros: Cozy, Friendly people, Great Selection
Cons: Uncertain cost prices, Precooked food
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Junk food

2 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

We weren't impressed with this place. Ordered a few dishes and left them largely uneaten since we sensed they were made using the chemical concoctions displayed all over the walls (which are for sale there as well). We asked them whether they used MSG and the answer was pretty dodgy - the guy pretended not to understand then brushed off the question as if it was insignificant. We decided to take our custom elsewhere rather than risk feeling ill afterwards. What we did order was devoid of anything that could be classified as real food. Might have tasted acceptable but really, it isn't worth it.

Pros: local noodle dishes
Cons: unhelpful staff, unhealthy ingredients, unpleasant environment
eatyourveggies
eatyourveggies

Great and cheap!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

Went for lunch buffet. SO many choices it's overwhelming. Filled my plate, cost maybe 5RM. Easy to find, lots of tables, great location off 101 bus, delicious food.

simdel
simdel

Absolutely brilliant for breakfast.

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

We were staying just around the corner and came across this restaurant by chance. It had just closed for the day. We came back for breakfast and were astounded by the array of choices available that had just been cooked. The price was amazing and I had to double check I had paid for both of us. An amazing place.

Pros: Excellent food, Huge variety, Price
IanMcDonald
IanMcDonald

Tasty and interesting

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

I went on my last evening in Penang, having repeatedly arrived at veggie restaurants just after they closed. I had a Penang Laksa and a "Conish Pastie". Both were delicious. The pastie failed completely to be a Cornish Pastie, but in failing it became a very nice vegetable pie.

There were lots of vegan options.

Full disclosure: I had a good chat with the manager for Verdant Reports.

Pros: Tasty food, Vegan friendly
  • IanMcDonald IanMcDonald

Chong features in my five-minute report about the Chinese veggie restaurants that kept me so well fed in SE Asia.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Nice buffet

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

We went to Luk Yea Yan today for the lunch buffet and it was very solid (though we liked the buffet at EE Yeun better). The best part was the variety. Tons of choices, most of them very good, and a few that were less enticing. All very affordable. Not everything was as hot as it could have been, which was surprising since we were there at 12:30. Liked the fact they had brown rice.

Pros: huge portions, good value
allan79
allan79

Good taste

2 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2008

Nice place for a fine dinner.

Pros: Variety food, food taste good
Cons: Small place, $$$ expansive, Not very frenly
raphalla
raphalla

Excellent Wholemeal Buns and Malay Nasi Lemak

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2006

Very clean and easy to find.
Food is good with many choices and very reasonable price.
However cooked noodle like curry noodle, herbs noodle ... are so so.

Dear Owner and Manager of Luk Yea Yan: