Lily's Vegetarian Kitchen -...

Chinese name 欣莉素食馆. Cozy environment. Downstairs serves local fast food concept, cash only. Upstairs serves a la carte menu and accepts credit cards. Offers fried kuey teow, assam laksa, rojak, vietnam roll, red wine mee suah, spicy la mien, juices, and more. Closed Monday except on 1st & 15th of Chinese lunar calendar ( then will close the next day). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Malaysian, Indian
98, Noble House, Madras Lane, Georgetown (ground floor)
Penang, Malaysia 10400

Thetruthpaint
Thetruthpaint

Sympathic Place

3 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

Was upstairs. But liked it more downstairs (feeling). So I tried a burger and some Penang specialities. Quite nice, very fast and they even have a ramp for wheelchairs thumbs up :)

Pros: Fast, Sympathic, Wheelchair Ramps
veggiebubble
veggiebubble

Even the western options are great!

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

I have eaten at Lilly's numerous times and tried quite a bit on the menu (I'm trying to get through everything!). Everything that I have tried I have enjoyed. The Penang specialities are great and even the western options are tasty and well presented. Definitely my favourite veggie in Penang. Staff are nice too.

Pros: Large menu, Tasty food, Reasonable price
Empress_O
Empress_O

Lily's 2

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

Their 2nd branch in 1World Bayan Baru serve as good as the original shop.
My favorite Vietnam Roll , rojak, satay..... and many more.
Must go for the fruit tea.

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Great Penang specialities

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

The bustling restaurant downstairs has a great menu with lots of amazing Penang specialities. The first time I went, I had Penang Laksa, Satay, and Rojak (fruit salad in tamarind sauce), which all blew my mind as I'd never had them before. Prices are good value - I paid RM 21 for those three dishes and felt very full. The second time, I had Nasi Kandar (similar to an Indian thali, but Penang style). The three curries were delicious, and had a good balance of vegetables and some mock meats. It only cost RM 6.50. The decor is simple and clean and the workers very friendly. They told me they are soon going to put up pictures of the dishes (at the moment the menu is just words).

Pros: Penang specialities, Open day and night, Lively, cheerful, clean
vegelover
vegelover

Wan Tan Mee, Grandma's Porridge yum!

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

One of my favourite places in Penang for lunch, tried set meal, was not that impressed esp with the small portion of vege but love their wan tan mee & gandma's porridge. Simple but nice. Self help with Chillies.

Pros: Tasty, Easy to park

Discodools
Discodools

Excellent!

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2012

We went here twice, the second time they remembered exactly what we had the first time and seemed happy to help us choose our meal. They had a lot of local Malaysian dishes, which is exactly what we were looking for. Our meals arrived extremely quickly and so so tasty. I thoroughly recommend the penang laksa, but everything was delicious. Both times we went it was full of locals, which is a good sign. very reasonably priced, about 4-6RM for a main meal, and it's enough to fill my constantly hungry stomach. I can't see how anyone could be dissappointed with this place. Eat Here!

Pros: delicious, cheap, great service
Tertia
Tertia

Wonderful food

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

Had a really nice dinner here. The place upstairs is now closed, so you have to sit downstairs. We were there on a Sunday evening and there were a lot of families having dinner, and there was a friendly atmosphere. The tables are a bit canteen like, but the food is wonderful.
There is an a la carte menu, but you have to order at the counter and take your cutlery from there.

We wanted some spring rolls but they were already sold out. So we hade some sateh with very good peanut sauce, vegetarian Nasi Lemak and a wonderful penang laksa, I would really recommend to order the penang laksa.
They also have a lot of fruit juices here, I only did not like the tea. Everything is very cheap here.

Pros: Real penang food, Tasty, Clean
Teppiedoo
Teppiedoo

Yummy Yummy Yummy!!

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2012

Great place. Nice and clean. Very inexpensive prices. Nice to eat classic Penang dishes that are animal free!! Curry Mee and Vietnam Rolls are very nice.

Pros: clean, cheap, tasty food
dimitri
dimitri

• raw

MSG palace!

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

If you like healthy food it's not your place. Not a single salad, only some veggies serve with main dishes. Alot I mean alot of fake meat. Glutene temple of Penang! I ate and I left the place feeling tired and exhausted ! The food have nice presentation with kinda fusion menu and tasty bus as. Said lots of MSG dishes. There some healthier selection as the noodle soup. Many dishes was oily as well. Overall it's nice restaurant but not more than once per week and not if u are raw foodist

Pros: Presentation of food, Fusion, Enviroment
Cons: Mock meat, Glruten food, Msg temple
liarai
liarai

So good!

5 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2012

I went to lily's after reading about it on happy cow and I was not disappointed! The food is really good and very inexpensive.

jre8995
jre8995

Amazing

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2012

Definitely the best place we went to in Penang
Satay was amazing, as were raw spring rolls and .... everything

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Loved it!

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2011

When we arrived at this restaurant the outside appearance had us slightly on guard - it looked a bit cold and cementish. We ventured inside and asked for the a la carte section before being directed back outside and up an elevator which is positioned inside a brownish glass doorway to the left of the main entrance.

The ambience upstairs was neat and well presented - typical upscale Chinese restaurant vibe. It was largely empty except for 4 generations of a huge local family who seemed to be gathering there for their Sunday feast (how cool that they eat vegetarian on such occasions!).

The menu here was not extensive and mainly Chinese in style (nyonya). It featured a lot of mock meat, which after a chat with the very friendly and helpful waitress we got comfortable with eating - they make most of it on premises and don't use any MSG in their cooking.

With a bit of help from the waitress we identified the most 'Malaysian' options, which comprised of a handmade mock meat rendang, some kind of vegetable sambal dish, otok otok (handmade mock meat chunks cooked in banana leaf) and a seaweed soup (this one is Chinese but we wanted the seaweed for its nutritional profile), accompanied with some brown rice.

What came out of that kitchen was truly awesome. Each and every dish was so naturally flavourful and interesting, we savoured every bite and came away truly satisfied that we had tried some of the best of the local cuisine. The mock meat was very obviously not of the factory variety and did not feel overly meaty (we don't enjoy the taste/texture of meat). The waitresses were so friendly they kept coming past and showing us some of the dishes they were serving to other patrons, just so we could see what they eat. Many of the dishes they prepare need to be ordered a day in advance and are only for parties of 8 or more, so they weren't available to us. As we dined more and more local families came in for their Sunday feasts and we could easily see why this place was chosen to host such events.

On our way out we decided to check out the fast food section downstairs. Again, the lady there was so friendly. She asked how our meal was, talked us through the mostly noodle and rice menu and even told us about the vegetarian festival due to start in Penang next Monday (26th Sept). We are soooo coming back here soon to try the laksa and satay. Can't wait!

Pros: tasty healthy food, friendly service, clean spacious restaurant
Cons: the usual cold chinese restaurant vibe, could be more vegetable dishes
Rama
Rama

Best Experience in Penang

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

My husband and I stumbled across Lily's while in Penang July 2010. We arrived a little late and the chef had gone home sick. The manager (Lily's sister) insisted on cooking us something herself. Her daughter then sat with us and she was in fact visiting from Perth Australia where she lives. We got to know her during our meal and felt very humbled by her stories. After dinner (which was delicious!) she took us on a tour of Penang! We felt very grateful to have met this wonderful, friendly person and it was thanks to the yummy food at Lily's!

Pros: Great service, Diverse food choices, Inexpensive
pradipd
pradipd

Interesting

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2010

We found this restaurant thanks to our taxi driver! It has a varied and a slightly more innovative meny than the usual mock meat items at most other similar places. The taro spring rolls and the Japanese Black Pepper Noddles were excellent. So were the fresh lime and sour plum juices. Prices are very reasonable.

allan79
allan79

Another good place to try

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2008

Lily is a clean, systematical and fast food delivery veggie restaurant. Food is selling at reasonable price and mostly taste good. I like their kelantan laksa.

Pros: Systematic, Clean, Food taste god
Cons: Limited choice of food
raphalla
raphalla

Tasty Food

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2008

The ground floor is for 'fastfood', which is,self-service. The upper floor is ala carte Malaysia Nyonya cuisine.
We tried out the food at the 'fastfood' area.
The porridge was good, a bit like Korean style which you mixed all ingredients together.
Pizza was so so but the pita was good.

Pros: Clean, Easy to find, Good food
Cons: Service is so so
lavanya
lavanya

The best Penang Curry Mee here

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2007

Being vegetarian for 5 years and have tried out most of the curry mee in Penang Vege restaurants. At last...the best curry mee founded here.

Dear Owner and Manager of Lily's Vegetarian Kitchen - Georgetown: