Serves meat, veg options available. Has some vegetarian and a few vegan options. Lunch menu is more veg-friendly than dinner menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Non-veg
901 W Morgan St
Raleigh, North Carolina 27603
919-833-8898

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by MichelleD
xveganmommyx
xveganmommyx

High hopes, with poor execution...

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

We finally decided to try Irregardless Cafe. With a renovated restaurant and a newly vamped menu, we had high hopes. When we arrived we were surprised how noisy and busy the restaurant was, but again this gave us the high hopes that we would have a spectacular meal. Once seated we realized how loud it was, which is fine, but if you plan on talking to the person across from you during dinner, you may end up yelling! Really close tables, but again not a deal breaker for us!

We decided for a starter that we would get the Hummus Plate. When it arrived it almost resembled a scoop a tuna fish on a lettuce leaf, and once we tried it we realized it was very bland grocery store bought quality hummus, nothing special for the $7 price tag it boasted. For our main dishes my husband had an Asian noodle bowl with seitan and I had the shepherd's pie ($16 & $18 price tags). Both meals were completely disappointing. First the Asian noodle bowl - the plus of this meal was a very generous amount of vegetables, however the negatives were big, the rice noodles were spaghetti type noodles and worst of all the seitan that was the selling point for us on getting this dish was not seitan at all, but instead processed soy. The shepherds pie - the plus was the delicious side dish of asparagus, but the actual main dish itself resembled a lasagna of sorts with a baked crust on top and pureed, yes I said pureed vegetable filling resembling baby food inside with random whole carrots.

For a restaurant that has been open for so long, I am not even sure why they would still have vegan and veg options that tasted like this. For a $50+ meal it was probably the worst meal we have ever had in that price range.

Pros: prompt waiter
Cons: terrible execution of veg/vegan food, noisy, reservations are sort of a joke.
meredith
meredith

meh

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2013

I want to like them. So bad. You see their menu - lots of vegan options. But none of them (that I've had) are actually good. I've been here several times, and I've never been impressed by their food or dining room. Sitting so close that when people sneeze, they sneeze on you/your food. Flavors are lacking (even with the new menu). Service is decent though.

Pros: good service, good location
Cons: bad food, horrible seating
trippinvegan
trippinvegan

Nice Special-Occasion Vegan Option

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

If you're looking for a slightly more upscale restaurant in Raleigh for vegan food, Irregardless is the place. Their prices reflect the atmosphere, which is what has kept me from eating here on any regular basis (the prices, not the atmosphere!).

The food I've gotten has been very good. I've been to brunch twice and dinner many times. The vegan shepherd's pie is my favorite so far. The portions always seem quite hearty, too, which is nice; I had a vegan reuben sandwich that I couldn't finish because I got full -- and I have quite an appetite!

They have jazz musicians play almost every night, I think, which adds to the atmosphere. Their cocktails are also quite good; but again, a bit pricey. Overall, this is a good place to go if you're looking for a veg*n-accomodating restaurant for a special occasion.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 15, 2013

Pros: Good food, Good-sized portions, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Pricey

alexa.richards12
alexa.richards12

Make Sure to Check the Specials

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

I've been here twice... once for a Sunday brunch and another time for a weekday dinner. Both experiences were great. I'm always excited when I see the specials chalkboard has numerous vegan items listed, in fact, most of the specials are vegan so they have rotating options.

It is on the pricey side but you do get good quality food.

They have local entertainment constantly playing which is a nice touch.

Pros: Rotating Options, Great wait-staff
Cons: Pricey
Kangarupe
Kangarupe

Good experience.

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

Nothing too big to report. I'm a Vegan living in Raleigh, NC and we were in that neck of the woods. We were both hungry so my friend asked me where I could eat... Irregardless is where happy cow led me. It was in the middle of the weekday when we went so I can't really echo the noise complaint. It was pretty quiet. It's not a vegan restaurant so I wasn't surprised to see just a few vegan options, but as everyone else has stated, the options are clearly marked.

I had the black bean quinoa burger. It was nice to have one, most quinoa burgers you find have egg in them to bind the ingredients. It was served on a whole wheat bun with lots of guacamole. It was incredibly tasty! Dare I say it has been the best vegan burger I've had in Raleigh yet. I have eaten at Remedy several times and fiction once, but this burger definitely took the cake *to date*. And at 8.75, it was reasonably priced.

3 stars! (which is solid in my book)

Pros: clearly marked vegan options, french fries!
Cons: Few options, but its not a vegan place
SidheRa
SidheRa

Better for Vegetarians on Sundays

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2011

I visited Irregardless Cafe with my brother and his wife. We picked it because I'm vegan, and we needed a place to eat brunch on a Sunday. When we got there, we found out that the only vegan option was a curry, which seemed to be very heavy and unappetizing for a brunch option. I had a pot of tea while everyone else ate.

In fairness, our waiter offered to talk to the cook to see if they had anything else that they could prepare for me, but he came back 20 minutes later to tell us that they could only offer the curry.

My omni brother and his wife liked their food, and my vegetarian (not vegan) partner had blueberry pancakes that he liked.

To me, this was just another place that seemed to have something I might eat, but it turned out that it didn't in reality. I read several online reviews that indicated that Irregardless had a variety of vegan options, so it was a pretty big letdown to drive all the way there to have an over-priced pot of tea. We won't be back.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: noisy, scanty vegan options, long wait
GeorgeR
GeorgeR

Great Food and Atmosphere (but noisy)

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2010

We ate at Irregardless Cafe because it's on-line menu showed that they have several vegan, gluten-free choices. The menu is clearly marked to show which items fit into these categories. We made an on-line reservation that didn't get added to their list, but they still seated us quickly (it was a busy Saturday evening). The live jazz was wonderful, the wait staff was very good, the choices were varied, and our food was delicious! We plan to come back at least once during our stay in Raleigh. The only negative was the noise level - it's a large open area with lots of tables tightly packed.

Pros: Good Food, Vegan/Gluten-Free Choices, Live Jazz
Cons: Parking, Noisy
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Decent Vegan Options

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2009

My fiance and I went to Irregardless while visiting Raleigh. The vegan items on the menu were clearly labeled, so that was helpful. There were something like 5 entrees that were vegan. I had the vegan pierogi with black beans and steamed cabbage and carrots which was quite good. My fiance has the vegan biryani which was a small rice pilaf and various veggies (portabellos, tomatoes, peppers) in a balsalmic glaze. I wasn't overly impressed, but it was not bad.
The atmosphere was nice.

MichelleD
MichelleD

Nice atmosphere!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

Very charming restaurant. Live music almost every night.

I had a squash dish with a side of rice that didn't have much flavor at all. It was one of only a couple of vegan options on the menu.

The salad I had beforehand was great though. Very YUMMY vegan dressing! The waiter was friendly and quick to point out what was vegan.

Pros: Atmosphere, Live Music, Local fresh veggies.
Cons: Food a little bland.

Dear Owner and Manager of Irregardless Cafe: