CLOSED: Govinda's - Miraflores

Soups, curried stir-frys with rice, and more. Fixed menu costs around S/9, as reported to HappyCow. Also a small shop selling incense, clothes, health food and snacks. JULY REPORTED SHUT, building being torn down to build yet another modern apartment building. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Peruvian, Hare Krishna
Schell 634 Miraflores
Lima, Peru
014-4458487; 992716401

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by button
alfredge
alfredge

Hari Hari

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

I really like this place, the atmosphere, the food is perfect (prasadam). The background music is perfect too.

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

just ok

2 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

After eating in "El Vegetariano" and "Golden Food", I was a little disappointed with Govinda.

Although all these restaurants work in the same way, Govinda's could not reach the great flavors I had experienced in the other places I went.

First I had the soup, which was pretty good, but their "lomo saltado" was not that well prepared as the others I had. And the rice was kind of hard to chew.

My girlfriend had the vegetarian lasagna and she said it was quite heavy and without flavor.

Pros: soup
Cons: not that tasty, heavy food
Mittens
Mittens

Not recommended

2 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2012

The staff and decor of the restaurant are lovely. We however, didn't have a very good experience with the food. I had the soup of the day, which was shocking. It just tasted like hot water and oil. My boyfriend had the hamburger and said if was not good at all (and this coming from the type of guy who is not picky and will eat anything). It's a shame, we will definitely not be returning.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Tasteless food

is he a ham?
is he a ham?

YU-MMY

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I've been twice in the last couple of days.
First I had a vegan burger with fries. The fries were just ok but the burger was so good I wanted to cry. You see, usually I eat soy "milanesas", which they sell at the supermarkets but they're not nearly as good or as tasty as Govinda's.
Today I had soy with broccoli and curry sauce. Very tasty; they served it with integral rice.
Also, the manager (or at least that's who I think the lady that talked with me was) is really nice and friendly.
Now the only thing I didn't like was the service the second time I went, because I had to wait like 6 minutes for the waiter and the place was neither full nor the waiter engaged with another customer.
Overall I recommend it

Pros: Food, Variety, Flavor
Cons: Waiter's service
Scrablero
Scrablero

Best Govinda's in Peru

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

The Govinda's restaurants around Peru range from horrible (Cusco) to excellent (Miraflores). This branch is the best I've found. Its relatively high prices reflect the upscale location. The set menu for S/9 is okay, but ordering off the menu yields some delicious surprises. It's hard to flag down a waiter/waitress. Lots of indoor seating, also an outdoor patio.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: high prices, inattentive service
Stevie
Stevie

Govinda's, Miraflores, Lima

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

I had the dahl soup to start with and it was like no other dahl I've had before, it was more like lentil, potato and pea. The portion was huge. I'd ordered a main but I was so full I asked for it to take away instead but then with time pressures etc of travelling on, I ended up not eating it.

There's plenty to choose from on the menu and like the 3 other places I have been in Lima is predominantly ovo-lacto centric. The girl working here was very helpful though and was happy to run through what was vegan friendly on the menu. The medu is in English was well as Spanish

This place closes at 7 pm at least on Saturdays.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly
Cons: closes early
maynard7
maynard7

Inconsistent service and food in Miraflores

3 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

I have eaten here many times since 2003. I have watched the quality of the food go up and down, and unfortunately in January 2012 it's back down again. Currently the meal of the day is 9 soles (there's a white dry-erase board next to the door as you enter the restaurant with details of that day's meal). You can also order from the printed menu, but it's not as good a deal. You don't get yogurt here as you do at some other veggie places in town, but you do get dessert. The last two times I went, the food quality just wasn't as good as it has been in the past. The food was not presented nicely, and lacked color and flavor. They don't seem to care if you like the food or not. Service is below average and it's difficult to get the attention of a waitress even when it's not busy. Open on the weekends, but no set meal specials. If you only have a limited amount of time in the Miraflores neighborhood in Lima, I recommend (in order): Bio Leben, El Vegetariano and Bircher Benner.

Disclaimer: This review (as well as the others I have written) are my personal humble opinion of the restaurant on the random day(s) that I ate there. You may feel differently than I do, and I would never fault anyone who does not agree with what I have written. Your experience may be better or worse than mine, and you are certainly welcome to post your own opinion of the establishment (hopefully in a polite manner).

Updated from previous review on Sunday April 04, 2010

Pros: Location
Cons: Inconsistent food, Service not always good
asamontpaz
asamontpaz

Nice and simple

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

We ate a lunch from a la carte i March 2011. The food was ok but they were serving the dishes in a strange way. We didn't get the food at the same time and the bread came after we had allready ate up the food.

Pros: Good value
Cons: The service, the place
yoska
yoska

Lovely place

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2010

We ordered off the a la carte menu. Did not see a set menu available, didn't ask though so perhaps we were blind. Food was excellent and they made local Peruvian dishes vegetarian which was nice.

Pros: Good food, Friendly, Good portions
purevegetarian
purevegetarian

The whole non-vegetarian family liked it

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2009

I went to this branch of Govinda with a non-vegetarian Peruvian family and they all liked what they ordered. The menu has fantastic Peruvian cuisine made vegetarian. For the six of us the bill was 90 soles (about US$30) and we all left with a full stomach. It has a pleasant atmosphere with a nice gated patio. Like most Peruvian restaurants the toilet facilities need improvement.

Guest
Guest

Simple and filling

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2007

You easily walk by this place, missing its patio and inside seating area. The lunch menu costs 7 soles and today I had vegetable soup, followed by veggie kofta in a white sauce with rice, dulce de trigo (corn in a sweet white cream) for dessert, and mate de menta (mint tea) to drink. It's unusual to have a hot drink in these set menus, usually you drink chicha morada. The mint tea was a welcome change on this cold winter day. I sat alone at a table and talked from starter to dessert to other customers, who had also come alone. I left with a full stomach and tips about where to buy tofu, addresses for other restaurants and a local chiropractor. You can buy blocks of tofu (4 soles) or gluten meat (5 soles) if you ask the waitress. Nature shop next door (no food).

Pros: large portions, you can buy products, friendly customers
Cons: decoration inside, only 1 option lunch menu
button
button

Friendly staff

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2006

Delicious food, nice outdoor patio. Very reasonably priced. Good soups. curried stir-fries with rice. Plenty of vegan options. There's a little shop connected with, incense, clothes and some health food and snacks.

Pros: Nice Patio, Friendly staff, Tasty food

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Govinda's - Miraflores: