Dymocks Melbourne Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Situated within Dymocks Collins Street bookshop. Varied menu range, food is labeled. Has vegan patties, vegan Funky Pies, vegan cupcakes, salads. Decor is open-plan with formica tables and wooden chairs, some padded seating. Small upstairs landing/alcove with couch away from main seating area. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, Australian, Non-veg
Lower Ground, 234 Collins Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000

Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-5:00pm

• Cash only

First Review by Tiggy

Great pies and bit of quiet time

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2015

This is my go-to place in the City if I feel like a pie, or if I feel like sitting down with a good book. I BYO book, but this cafe is in a bookshop, downstairs. It's usually quite busy, but I've always found a seat.

The staff are friendly, and helpful. They do prefer cash.

There are of course pies, a number of which to chose from. I always have mine (usually a thai chicken) with salad. There are also other vegan options, and sweets. I spotted a caramel slice there the other day!

Coffee is good. Prices are average for the CBD.

Pros: Plenty of choice
Cons: Sometimes crowded

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2014

I went on a Thursday just after the fresh cupcakes were delivered so got my pick of 5 different vegan cupcakes. I had peanut butter which was delicious.

There were a few savoury vegan choices that looked good too, like pies.

Pros: Location, Friendly
Cons: No Wireless

Great place for lunch in the CBD

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

My partner told me about this place a while ago and now it's become a go-to place if we're in the CBD during the day. I'll pretty much always order a Funky Pie (the best vegan pies on the market) and salad, although they have other vegan options. It's not a great looking place, but it's right in the middle of a bookshop. I'll keep coming back.

Pros: Clearly identified vegan options, Staff understand vegan, Funky Pies
Cons: Unimpressive seating and surroundings, Coffee is not fair trade

Dear Owner and Manager of Dymocks Melbourne Cafe: