Om Vegetarian - Collins St

Simple inexpensive Indian food, including an all-you-can-eat option that includes curry, rice and naan and can be made vegan on request. A few other items such as papadams available for purchase separately. Located inside a mall. Similar to Elizabeth St restaurant. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Ayurvedic, Buffet

First Review by Kittybiscuit
Tiggy
Tiggy

Cheap but you get the standard you pay for

3 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2014

I realised while I was here tonight that I hadn't reviewed this place, which, like a lot of customers, I go to regularly because of its $6.50 all-you-can-eat buffet. It has to be noted that there are signs saying that there is a maximum sitting time of 45 minutes, so there are limits. There are also no refills after 8:30 pm. The food is cheap and this is great, even if the meal is rather ordinary - a curry, dhal, rice and naan. For this reason you might say there's not much room to complain but I think we can recognise what could be improved. One thing I've noticed over time is that you are a bit disadvantaged if you're vegan. Although they offer a vegan meal on request, this often takes significantly longer than the non-vegan version because they prepare the vegan naan specially, cutting into your 45 minute). (It takes longer to leave *off* the butter?) I've found myself sitting for some time watching a lot of people who didn't order a vegan version being served their meal while I wait. I've had the samosas here (served with chilli jam) and they're OK but last time I went in I was told (contrary to previous responses) that they weren't vegan. I didn't have one but I'm not quite convinced of this and will follow it up. Decor is plain, as the eatery is located in a small food court, and formica tables are closely spaced. If you are there late, as I have been on occasion, you're likely to be swept out, asked to move tables so the staff can clean. I'll continue to come here because it's cheap and I like the naan, but I tend to leave a bit of a break between visits.

Pros: Cheap all-you-can eat option, Vegan naan (not an option at most places)
Cons: Food not great, Delay for vegans
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Ok, but could be better

3 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

It is very cheap and I really want to support local vegetarian restaurants but I find that every time I visit I'm disappointed in the curries.
The naan is always tasty and I like that they serve the meal in a thali. I do think the vegetables are often watered down and lack flavour. They offer a fixed menu of 2 curries, rice and naan. I don't have an issue with a fixed menu but those 2 curries need to taste better or they need to offer 3 curries and give you an option of choosing 2.
I'll probably go back in a few months to see if it has improved but if the food was tastier I'd be eating here once a week.

Pros: Naan, Cheap
Cons: Lack of flavour in curries

Dear Owner and Manager of Om Vegetarian - Collins St :