Doomie's Home Cookin'

Serves decadent vegan versions of classic American diner food. Vegan except the option to have dairy cheese add-on when one asks for it. Selection of vegan baked goods (cakes, crossants, cookies) displayed in a glass case. Hole-in-the-wall kind decor with lot parking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Southern, Bakery, Fast food, Take-out
1253 Vine St Ste 9 (Fountain)
Hollywood, California 90038
714-883-7657
Closed now

Mon-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-3:00am

First Review by Sonja and Dirk
DM
DM

proof that vegan food doesn't have to be healthy

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

So so so so so so good! Vegan jalapeño poppers, bacn topped burgers, and so much more. Desserts are also incredible. If you're visiting the area, this is a MUST DO for vegans and vegetarians alike!

EemaGila
EemaGila

as good as everyone says

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Wow! Our first visit was great. We will be back. The sampler was a great taste of a bunch of different things. Pulled Pork had all the right textures. And, the fried Oreos are a taste of heaven. Vegan, yes. Healthy, no way. But it's a great treat.

Pros: awesome food, spacious
Cons: dark
JohnGardner
JohnGardner

Comfort food, veganized!

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Decadent? Check. I had the patty melt. And while it has been years since I had the meat version, this looks and tastes the way I remember it. For dessert I had the creme brulee, and this too was spot-on. In fact it was so good, I had to ask to be sure it was vegan (yes, almond milk)

brandalock
brandalock

Deep Fried Comfort

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

If you want to be a bad vegan, Doomie's is the place to go. Almost everything is deep fried and it is amazing! I couldn't eat at Doomie's all the time but I enjoy splurging here.

I wish they had a bar, I feel like it would go so well with the style of food and the style of the place. It seems like a pub inside, not really a restaurant or a cafe, but that can't take away how devilishly good the food is.

Pros: The Bad for you Food that is SO Good!
SiaEra
SiaEra

Wow awesome burger!

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

My husband and I had the Vegan big mac at the Vegan Beer festival and it was amazing. We were full all day. Large burger, way bigger than what I remember the big mac to be and deliciously cruelty free. What more could you ask for? :)

Pros: large portions, friendly staff, great vibe
grantxvx
grantxvx

Pretty Good!

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

It was nice to get some vegan home cooking and have an Alkaline Trio themed restaurant experience. They were out of fetuccini alfredo, but everything was good. The chicken fried seitan was somewhat rubbery, but they may have fixed the recipe by now.

LPhoopla
LPhoopla

Comforting great food

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

It was a nice quiet atmosphere with a large menu. We got the appetizer sampler and were very pleased. Best vegan cheese sauce I've had yet. I would recommend the Jalapeno poppers and the mac and cheese. The cupcake icing was great but cake itself a little dry.

Pros: friendly staff, Great food, creative approach
FranceskaLynne
FranceskaLynne

Viva Doomie's!!

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

Gotta love Doomie's. Vegan soul food/comfort food with insane desserts that you will swear cannot be vegan. Pasta dishes are all great - chicken-fried steak is also a favorite. Get your sweet and savory pastries to go if you don't have room after the enormous portions!

Pros: Great comfort food, Amazing selection of vegan baked goods, Fun punk-rock atmosphere
Chia
Chia

Total Decadence

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

Had read about Doomie's for so long on HappyCow and finally was in that area, so my friend and I stopped in for a bite. Here's my Doomie's Home Cookin review.

If you are looking for a healthy or light meal, you won't find it here. If you are looking for a tasty, fatty, salty meal, you'll find it at Doomie's. It's total indulgence kind of food.

From the menu we shared a southern fried chicken plate which came with a side of mashed potatoes and a plain white dinner roll. The chicken was thickly breaded and tasted very much like Kentucky Fried Chicken-esqe, greasy, fatty, and very delicious. The mashed potatoes were just right. The roll we didn't bother.

The jalapeno poppers were the bomb. Breaded and deep-fried outside, each with a large preserved, spicy jalapeno inside that's stuffed with a cheese that oozes when you bite into it. Yum.

We also tried their mac n cheese, and that was very tasty. I believe they make their own vegan cheese, and I suspect there's a lot of yellow margarine involved.

My friend also tried a BBQ pulled pork sandwich. I had a bite only, it was sweet, faux pork had a texture like beef jerky.

For dessert we shared a crossiant and chocolate cake. They make their own croissant and cakes, which I thought was impressive. Both tasted fine.

Overall, I think I would eat here once in a long while. The food is good, but it's all very fatty and indulgent. An interesting and taste-filled experience nonetheless.

Pros: all vegan, food taste good, prompt service
Cons: hole-in-the-wall, high fat and salt
vegandoll
vegandoll

Amazing Chili Cheese Fries!

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Went there for the first time with a friend. We had chili Cheese fries (vegan) for appetizer and they were soo good!!! Also we shared the taco salad, which is huge but wonderful, and the fried "chicken" entree, also amazing. The place itself is small but cute. The wait staff wasn't the best, kind of slow but the food is amazing i would go back.

Pros: vegan
material girl
material girl

I'm not going there

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

Last year when I went there the place was awesome everything was orgainized this time. I don't know what happened but, it went down hill even there secret menu sucks. Ordered onion rings and it was burnt to hell. I can't believe I spent soo much money to have a gross meal. That was a waste of my money that went down the drain. The bathrooms were filthy. The place was dead for the first time I ever saw it. It really needs a big time improvement. And have the food tasting like it did once before.

Cons: friendly staff, saying no to a customer is not right, the taste of food sucks
NancieCat
NancieCat

Alternative to Asian

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

This place is a GEM! what is fantastically appealing about this place being Vegan/Vegetarian is that it's NOT ASIAN food! Hello!! Vegetarians eat more than vegetables...and especially those who come from meat backgrounds we want more variety and we want the food to taste the same as what we're used to. Finding DOOMIE'S was a Food Miracle! I ordered the BBQ pulled "pork", Mac n "cheese" and fries (of course!). Ummmm... "YUMMMMM".. Even the next day re-heat was amazing. There's another reviewer who complained about the "greasy" food -well that doesn't bother me and doesn't negatively affect the taste -though I did not get the feeling of "greasy". Sure the decor is a bit rough (dark red/black walls) however the FOOD IS ENLIGHTENING!! bring a friend and chat with your mouth full -it's all the same! Any of the other caveats mentioned (parking, ambiance, location) are just not any reason to stay away. There's NO OTHER restaurant serving THIS STYLE. It's a comfort to know LA is opening more conscious eateries offering choices other than Thai or Indian. Americans are conscious eaters too!! THANK YOU DOOMIE'S!!! (was so satisfied with my meal that I left without ordering dessert so I will be back...)

Pros: CHOICE!!, Taste, Friendly staff
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Doomie's

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

I did my research before going to Doomie's, so I knew full well to get the vegan big mac, which is not listed on the menu (you have to ask for it) - best decision ever!

I'm just going to throw this out there now, I felt the restaurant was kind of dirty and it was filled with clutter in some areas. But given the type of food this establishment offers (greasy home cooking), I figured it went with the territory.

The jalapeño popper appetizer was really good - they even make the cheese in-house. My favorite part of the meal was my entree, the vegan big mac, it was pretty awesome. I don't know what a real big mac tastes like, but this one was good. Only thing is, after eating this I didn't feel too well, only because I'm not used to eating greasy food anymore...but I would totally eat the big mac again.

Roethke
Roethke

I gave it multiple chances.

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

I know many people who love this place and I just don't get it. The food is greasy, way too salty, and not particularly tasty. There are menu items that they have never had in stock the 4 out so times I've been in there. The people who work they have always been nice to me, so there's that, buy I hope I never have to eat they're food again.

Pros: good service
Cons: bad food, greasy, mean dog
lnmagnee
lnmagnee

Delicious Doomie's

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

I ordered the "Western burger" with onion rings. It was amazing. I also got deep fried Oreos. They were so good, but very "rich," so don't eat too many. The waitress was friendly. There is some outside seating, but the view is of a parking lot. I would rate them five cows if they dropped the few non-vegan options so the restaurant would be all vegan.

Pros: comfort food, good value
Cons: not all vegan, strip mall location
TwoHappyVegans
TwoHappyVegans

Not that good

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

I feel kind of bad leaving a less than five-star review as it seems everyone who reviewed Doomie's thus far genuinely liked the place, but I went twice now and both times I was let down. I mean, for the most part, you can get the majority of the menu items at other establishments in the area; the food menu (outside of a couple desserts) wasn't very unique. I have tried NINE different menu items, and all have been WAY too buttery/greasy/fried/salty. I brought food home in a (Styrofoam, GRRRR) take home container once and when I transferred it into another container, there was a puddle of butter/oil at the bottom that glistened like leaky car fluids on black top. I know this is supposed to be comfort food, but Veggie Grill is comfort food and theirs is way healthier, tastier, and cheaper. The location is bad, too, and you have to pay a lot for parking if you go at night. Again, all the food is already available at nearby restaurants, and not only that, it seems like the bottom of the rung, basic vegan food that you eat when you're transitioning to a vegetarian diet from an omnivorous one. It's food most people can cook at home using your basic vegan cooking book, like 'Vegan with a Vengeance'. There's nothing overly creative about it, nothing that stands out as unique. The service was also horribly slow both times I went even though there weren't too many people in the restaurant. There were two parties that got their food before mine even though I was only in a party of two and ordered the same thing as one of the people in the other party. The employees kept to themselves and barely spoke, even when I ordered, they just kind of stood there and almost grunted their way through helping me. I left a good tip both times regardless and smiled my way through (the smile wasn't returned). All-in-all this was a big disappointment, and I suggest you either cook this food at home or go elsewhere for your cravings. Doomie's is a recipe for a non-tasty, vegan heart attack.

Pros: Somewhat large menu selection, Mostly all vegan items
Cons: Cold, unfriendly, slow staff, Greasy/salty/unhealthy food, Weird area/expensive parking
mizzholly85
mizzholly85

Pretty cool place

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

This place is cool. I liked the food and service, but the menu is small. Everything is vegan, but you can get real cheese which is cool.

Pros: Good food, all vegan
Cons: small menu, a little pricey
ChicaVegan.com
ChicaVegan.com

My favorite restaurant EVER!!!

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2011

EVERYTHING is GREAT.
Enough said.

darlingviolettas
darlingviolettas

The most delicious vegan food ever !

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

Doomie's is the place to go in LA...support the young, local LA owned vegan restaurant on Fountain & Vine. The prices aren't any higher than your average chain...but the vibe is great, the service is excellent. And that's not even talking about the food...O M G....mouth watering chicken drumsticks that might freak out someone if you haven't had meat in a while. This vegan food doesn't claim to be healthy but for someone not into "Vegan" food because they are a carnivore this is a good place to take them to change their mind. Anything and everything on the menu is made fresh in house and by the chef himself..Doomie. You can't go wrong with any item on the menu.

My favorites are the chicken and the philly cheese steak.

The desserts are to die for as well.

=) Go ! Go ! You won't regret it !

Pros: Mouth Watering Flavors, Great vibe, Amazing meat alternatives
Cons: Not super healthy
Gini
Gini

Deep Fried Oreos!

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

If you are in Hollywood and you want great food and friendly service go to Doomie's. Don't forget the deep fried oreos. They taste like a chocolate churro. :0)

Pros: friendly staff, vegan , delicious
dancingvegan
dancingvegan

Zoom to Doomie's ASAP!! LOL!

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2010

I went to their soft grand opening and the food was unbelievably good!! It's a vegan paradise, people! I have had their food at a couple different functions, too, and I just melt when eating it! Thank you Doomie's!!

Pros: Big portions, Friendly staff , DELICIOUS food!
Cons: Parking
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

amazing home cookin'

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2010

We went to Doomie's tonight for their grand opening. It was fabulous. We had already been to the brunch just before Thanksgiving which had started late and apparently ran out of food right after we finished, but everything went smoothly tonight and service was attentive and friendly. For the first weekend it was reservation only, so we arrived at 6pm, but the parking attendent was already there with a sign that said it was $6.50. We parked down the street for free.

As for the food, OMG! The menu had me drooling just looking at it and I plan to return many times again to try everything! We started off with the jalapeno poppers (which we had at the vegan beer fest) and the mac n cheese. Both yummy! We shared our dinners as well. Country fried steak with roasted potatoes (or option of mashed potatoes) and the soup of the day which was beef noodle: amazing and the soup seemed like the original version. Philly cheesesteak with onion rings: the sandwich was good, but I wouldn't rave about it. I would rave about the onion rings though! The texture and flavor was unbelievable and it totally reminded me of my pre-vegan days. And to cap the whole evening off, we had the deep fried Oreos a la mode. Words fail to describe how amazing this was. It really was the highlight of an already fantastic meal.

Bottom line, if you like fried down home cooking vegan style, you must go to Doomie's. Their space is basic and unassuming in a strip mall, but don't let that distract you. Focus on the food!

Pros: fried goodness, Oreo dessert, vegan versions of down home cooking
Cons: parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Doomie's Home Cookin':