Large store stocking fresh organic produce, vitamins, grocery, deli with vegetarian options, and more. more-less

Mon-Sat 8:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by will-travel-for-food
Livingexistence
Livingexistence

Employees who serve non-vegan food to vegans

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2015

I had a great review but had to edit it, because I ran into some problems at the Co-Op. THEY DO NOT EDUCATE THEIR EMPLOYEES ON SPECIFIC DIETS.
I have been coming here for 2 years, and they have a great grocery store, and some OK vegan prepared food. They also offer sandwiches and pizzas. Being told that they offer vegan pizzas, I began to have a pizza night once a week and have been doing so for a few months now. One day I call into order 2 pizzas, and go to pick them up - and an employee in the pizza section tells me "everything on your pizza is vegan except that dough". Are you kidding me? Don't offer vegan pizzas (daiya cheese, tempeh bacon and so on) when something that I'm allergic to is in your dough (egg and milk)! After this incident, I was told that the pesto I have been receiving on my sandwiches for over a year has had Parmesan in it. One girl told me one day "oh there's Parmesan in the pesto, I think I've made your sandwiches before so I will make you a free one. I don't care about a free sandwich, I care about the fact that I should trust my local food co-op when I tell them I am 100% vegan and they don't serve me so. At least put up more signs that your "VEGAN PIZZAS" contain non vegan pizza dough!
Updated from previous review on Monday August 17, 2015

Pros: Lots of vegan groceries
Cons: Prepared food is always the same, Lack of vegan soups, PIZZA IS NOT VEGAN
MarilynC
MarilynC

Great place to shop or grab a bite

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2015

I've been shopping at the Brattleboro Food Co-op for years before finally moving here from NY. Great bulk section, and many vegan and gluten-free items. Produce department has a wide range of local and organic fruits and veggies. The deli also has a case of clearly labeled vegetarian and vegan choices. There is a salad bar and also hot soups and entrees - you have to check the ingredient lists, though, to see if they are vegan. You can also get juices and smoothies. Take-out or eat in the brookside cafe while browsing a newspaper or magazine.

Pros: wide selection, good food, helpful and friendly staff
HealthCoachAngie
HealthCoachAngie

New co-op expansion

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2013

The "new" Brattleboro Food Co-op offers some selection in dry goods, meat, fish, and supplements that the "old" co-op did not, but I have been disappointed with the selection in general. The most unfortunate switch has been the co-op deli: I have spent long years coming to the Co-op for a refreshing haven for vegetarian and gluten-free foods. Sadly, the "new" deli seems to be stuck in a repeating cycle of the same dishes over and over and over again. There are fewer and fewer gluten-free options in the prepared food options. Soups and hot dishes that I used to be excited to see are boring and uninventive.
The eat-in seating is much nicer in the new building. Some sections of the building feel airy and roomy and others maze-like and cramped.
I hope that the management and staff can pull it together and offer more variety in the deli like the "old" co-op.

Pros: natural foods grab & go
Cons: stagnant menu

Yoshi
Yoshi

A must-stop when in Brattleboro

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

My wife and I frequently pass through Brattleboro and we always make a pitstop at the Brattleboro Food Co-Op. They have a huge selection of bulk items (Bulk Miso!), and pretty much any Vegan/Veg product your heart desires. I've eaten from the prepared foods counter several times, and although it can be a bit on the pricey side, the food has always been very good. The store has a great 'vibe' to it, and I always enjoy being there. If you're in the area it's required shopping. One down-side, two days before my last visit (Aug '11) one of the store's employees shot and killed a store manager...I'll still go back!

Pros: Great selection, Great vibe, Great prepared food
Cons: A little pricey, Employee murdered store manager
brattchicky
brattchicky

Yay Co-op!

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

The Co-op is a bit on the expensive side, especially for pre-made foods, but to balance that out, they've got a lot of bulk products. I buy spices, flours, etc. there and then try to buy dry goods at Dotties, the associated discount store. Everyone's super-nice, very community feel about the place.

will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Great selection and fair prices

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

We found everything we were looking for here during our recent travels through Brattleboro: snacks, produce, health and beauty stuff, and even a wide selection of local beers. (Nothing like a night at the Motel 6 with nothing but chips, fruit, beer, and shampoo.) The adjacent discount/markdowns shop was great, too. If we lived in the area, this is probably where we'd do most of our shopping. We were pleasantly surprised at the variety of food, personal care items, and household items in stock.

Pros: wide variety, fair prices, wide local beer selection

Dear Owner and Manager of Brattleboro Food Co-op: