CLOSED: Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe

Small vegan restaurant/cafe near the water. Reported to happycow to have a fully vegan food menu, although non-vegan cheese can be added on request. Menu includes veggieburgers, bagels, sandwiches, soups, salads, and desserts. Casual bohemian artsy decor. Reported closed to HappyCow. JAN 2014 CHANGED OWNERSHIP AND NOW NAMED AHIMSA. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
340 E 4th St (Long Beach Blvd & Elm Ave)
Long Beach, California 90802
562-435-7113

Open Tue-Wed, Sun 11am-4pm, Thur-Sat 11am-9pm.

First Review by maryzaint
earthville
earthville

Great - Now called Ahimsa & under new ownership

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

Formerly Zephyr, the Ahimsa Vegan Cafe has a new owner since late 2013, and a new vision too.

The food was great and made with fresh produce, most of which is reported to be organic. Apparently they've started their own organic farm nearby to supply the restaurant. They're also planning to add a juice bar in the future, which will be a welcome addition.

The "Chicken's Friend" burger was tasty, but our favorite was the Tempeh Reuben, which is one of the better such specimens we've tasted. Salads were good, too.

Service was friendly and attentive. Even though it's an order-at-the-counter place, they kept looking after us as well as most any table-service restaurant.

Recommended.

Pros: All vegan, Tasty tempeh reuben
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

adorable and welcoming, good for the tummy

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

A nice little gem in LB, the food was good, the portions were good, and my side soup was an unexpected surprise. I ordered it only because it was the soup of the day but I enjoyed it more than I expected! (black bean soup, which isn't my favorite but I licked the bowl clean and was almost full before my main dish arrived) I had the grilled tofu steak which was very nice and flavorful, complete with smokey char and a vegan A1 sauce. The other items were tasty, but admittedly not mind blowing. The place was charming and the staff was sweet, the items in the restaurant will all make a veggiehead happy, but maybe not companions who aren't as accustomed to a happy hippy joint. You may want to order a few things as well since an entree won't fill a hungry eater. This is a nice place for a bite to eat, or a casual dinner, but not to impress a first date, that is, unless the other person is a happy hippy.

Pros: tasty, hits the spot, reasonably priced, charming
Cons: very casual, simple
SausageMuncher
SausageMuncher

almost

2 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

I've lived in Long Beach for about 6 years now and have eaten at Zephyr's Cafe plenty enough to write this review in my opinion.

The atmosphere is sweet and the staff is friendly. The food? Nothing to write home about unfortunately. I've supported it over the years as it is one the VERY few vegan/veg restaurants in the LB. The majority of their dishes can be recreated with ease in your own kitchen and with more flavour for sure!

If you're coming through town check them out as I am very picky about food in general and know people that still enjoy it!

Pros: sweey atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: simple dishes, not enough flavour

kglaguna
kglaguna

Good Vegan Stop

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2012

Had the Fakin Bacon Sand...was good & plenty to eat. Locale is downtown close. You won't be overwhelmed by the service, but the food was worth it.

josmt46601
josmt46601

Great Location,Atomosphere,Price,Service,and Menu!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

Hello..We ate here July 29,2012.The menu....a large variety of vegan dishes;the location...close to the beach area and not in the "downtown" area;atomoshpere..it had that "bohemian-artsy" look from the 70's;price-well worth it;service-excellent.Loved it! High marks for this eatery! Joe from Oregon.

Pros: Food, Price, Service
laranjatomate
laranjatomate

It is near the Indy Car L Beach streei circuit!

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

The employeesate sympathic and seem to be involved/comitted to the vegetarian cause.
The restaurant is too close the street IndyCar circuit, so it is a good option for the race fans which visit L Beach for watching the race.

VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Roaches?!

2 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

Yep, roaches. I took my girlfriend here and she practically lost her head when she watched the attendant quickly try to sweep away a roach which was crossing a cutting board. Yikes.

I had visited Zephyr previous to that and the food is uninspired. Not going back after the roach incident anyway.

Cons: Dirty
alethea0623
alethea0623

Not so clean

2 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2011

I had an open mind going to this restaurant and am truly disappointed. The food was ok. The service kind of bad. The worst though was how dirty the restaurant was. A cockroach started eating my child's sandwich that fell on the floor, the highchair was so gross that we did not use it (ironically I called the day before to hold it so you think they would have cleaned it!). Won't be going back

Pros: Seitan is good
Cons: Dirty, Dirty, Service
giegie
giegie

tasty and casual

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

The food is always fresh and tasty. I love the seedy salad and the seitan chicken. It's really casual, order at the counter and grab a table. Everything is made to order so be prepared to wait at peak lunch time. It's the only vegan joint in Long Beach and they strive to use local, organic ingredients and are committed to animal rights and environmentalism. A business worth supporting!

Pros: tasty, fresh
Cons: closes at 4
TB
TB

LOVE Zephyr!!

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

I absolutely LOVE Zephyr. It has a pleasant, hip bordering on slightly hippy vibe, and great food. My personal favorite is their vegan chick'n sandwich, but really everything is great. Beautiful desserts (including cupcakes), super family-friendly, just a lovely spot. This should be your first spot on the vegan circuit of Long Beach. Now if only Zephyr would serve breakfast!

Pros: Awesome vegan food
Cons: None!

Zephyr - #1 Gem in Long Beach

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

The best vegan choice in Long Beach. Don't miss it.

Pros: fantastic food, great staff, perfect venue
VegeJules
VegeJules

Zephyr

3 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2011

Good food. It's nice to have a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Long Beach. They use to be extremely slow but have gotten better. I don't mind slow but it's nice now that I can eat my meal the same time as the person sitting across from me. They have good soups and I like their sandwiches. I wish they had longer hours during the week.

y528s
y528s

What a find! My new favorite place in the LA area

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

If you're looking for an earthy, crunchy place for a slow paced Sunday lunch, or an evening out, this is THE VENUE. The food, while limited to soups, salads, sandwiches and burgers, is out of this world, and there's something very rustic and homey about this venue.

There is street parking and they are open from 11am - 9pm.

The service wasn't very fast, but I didn't feel it. This venue has a charm that lets you get lost in the moment, and the food was worth the wait. The staff are friendly, smiling, and there to help the customer.

This is everything I am looking for for a favorite place to eat.

Pros: Flavor, Atmosphere, Staff
Cons: A little slow
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Long Beach veggie hideaway

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2010

I thought I wrote a review for Zephyr a long time ago! It's been awhile since I ate there but I recall one of the best soups I've ever tasted. Their menu is pretty extensive for a small place and they sell at a reasonable price plus have some veggie and vegan goodies for sale. Top notch establishment!

Pros: Atmosphere, Soup, Good menu
jamber79
jamber79

Cool coffee house-like place

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2009

This place was cute inside. The tempeh zucchini sandwich, artichoke heart salad, and hot apple cider were all very good. My boyfriend had the b.l.t. and thought it was fantastic. They have a bookshelf of books for trade where you bring in a book you've read and take a different one, which is a really good eco-friendly idea. Only open for dinner on Fridays and Saturdays, all other days for lunch only. Don't think they have breakfast, but that would be nice.

Pros: food, friendly service
Cons: short hours
jtct203
jtct203

Zephyr Rocks!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2009

Very cool place... great menu, fair prices, everything made on the premises, friendly staff, cool decor and great overall vibe! Will definitely eat there again when I am back in Long Beach!

Pros: Good portions, Good prices, Good selection
TaniaD
TaniaD

Zephyr Cafe, Long Beach, CA

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2009

My husband & I visited this cafe several times this last week as we were so happy to have found a vegetarian eatery (thanks to Happy Cow). The food was really delicious, especially the tofu bowl and the teriyaki tempeh bowl, and the cafe itself is really laid back and comfortable. Only problem we found was the short working hours (ie, closing at 4pm most days). Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, healthy food, comfortable atmosphere
Cons: short opening hours during weekdays
kcmeow
kcmeow

only purely VEG cafe in long beach

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2009

As far as I know, this is the only completely vegetarian restaurant in Long Beach. In fact, most things on the menu are vegan or can be made vegan upon request. The menu is rather small and simple. I would recommend any of the bowls..specifically the grilled tempeh or tofu bowls..They are fantastic. The seedy salad is also amazing..the bon bon dressing is out of this world...you have to try it! The atmosphere is awesome...great music, ever changing local artwork on display and a plethora of free literature. My only real complaint is about the store hours...The hours seem to change all the time and the hours of operation are just really weird...Overall, I think Zephyr's is a great, HEALTHY spot, and I am glad to support their business.

Pros: 100% vegetarian, delicious food, wine, beer and great bloody mary's!
Cons: closed too much!!
miss-mischief420
miss-mischief420

Not so good

2 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2009

I admit, it's really hard to have a vegetarian restaurant. It's hard to have variety that keeps people coming back. I thought the menu was really poor. I had a walnut and apple salad. It took a long time to come and when it did, it was the bag of salad you buy at the grocery store with a couple of walnuts thrown on top and a sliced brown apple. They didn't even make sure the apple slices broke apart so I got a chunk of apple. The vegan rolls were fairly bland. I think this place is more concerned with making a statement about the LB breakwater than anything else.

Pros: Location, Healthy, Vegetaian
Cons: Service, Variety, Tasts
skymonkey
skymonkey

come for the food

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2009

we were in the long beach area for a conference, but hesitated going to zephyr because of some not so great reviews. we finally visited the restaurant, and we were glad we did. the previous reviews are correct. the people working there, who are not the designated server, will not acknowledge your presence. but once the server was out to greet us, she was very friendly. it did take them a while to prepare the food, but it was very good. most of the food items are vegan. in fact, i don't think it would be very hard for them to go completely vegan. the food was healthy, fresh and delicious. we also have to give them credit for our two-year-old son ordering and nearly finishing his own dish for the first time.

thebeakeeper
thebeakeeper

Love love love it!

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2008

I've been meaning to go here for a very long time, as it's within walking distance of my house. My little sister came for a visit and we decided to try it. It had a really cool funky atmosphere- kind of like a coffee house. We both ordered the grilled cheese sandwich- mine was vegan with vegan bacon, grilled onions and avocado. my sister ordered the vegetarian style. DELISH!!! I have not stopped thinking about the sandwich since we went. I've been a vegan for 10 months and have not had a grilled cheese sandwich- and this was freaking amazing. my sister really liked hers- which is a miracle because she's very picky (and eats meat). We both liked the chips and salsa and we got dessert to go. I ordered a chocolate peanut butter vegan cake, she got a cherry pie and we brought my girlfriend (also a meat eater) a slice of the apple pie. my cake was amazing. loved it! could eat one every day. unfortunately the pie slices were teeny tiny (literally- about three bites each) and not the greatest...we wouldnt get the pie again, but the cake- yummy!!! i keep wanting to go back but they close at 4 so i can never find the time. im hooked on the grilled cheese though....

Pros: excellent food, cool atmosphere, variety of choices
Cons: staf a little off, seating no t so comfortable
MichelleD
MichelleD

Great Pie!!

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2008

Had a rice bowl with black beans, veggies and setien. It was excellent. Staff was friendly. After my meal I had a slice of vegan cherry pie with some vegan ice cream. Hadn't had pie like that since going vegan!!!

Highly recommended.

Great location too, on a nice street.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Food, Great Atmosphere
Cons: Could Have been a Little Cleaner

good food/poor service

2 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2008

I tried this place after reading the reviews. I had the collard wraps and my friend had the vegetable stir fry. My wraps were huge...I mean way too big to fit in my mouth. They were bland tasting, but the sauce was really yummy that was served with them. My friend said the veggies were really good.

As other reviews stated that the service was not so good I told the server this when we first got there. They seemed surprised, but didn't change their behavior at all. We were basically ignored. Our food came at different times and we had to repeatedly ask to have our water glasses filled and even the bill so we could pay. The poor service has definitely over shadows the food and I will not go back.

Pros: very inexpensive
Cons: crummy service
lindas
lindas

Not to be missed!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2008

We ate here as a family of 4, ages ranging from 11 to 50 yrs . We all thoroughly enjoyed our different dishes & agreed it ranked among the best veggie food we've eaten. Lots of choice & very reasonably priced food & drink. If you're anywhere near Long Beach, you must visit Zephyr!

Pros: Excellent Food, Tasty Menu, Helpful Staff
Cons: None!
Heroelux
Heroelux

Food was good, staff was rude

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

Went in there and the staff didn't acknowledge us until they were done with their conversation. The "chicken" sandwiches were good and the pea soup was amazing! They have a variety of snacks to choose from as well--

Pros: Good Food
Cons: Rude Staff, Ambiance
human_oven
human_oven

Great to have in LB!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2007

This is a nice, casual café- serves basic vegan food, and is a great place to relax for lunch or a late afternoon snack. They are fully stocked with alternative newspapers to peruse, and have a neat chessboard table. The food is simple, but good, and most things are in the $5-$8 range. Stop by here when you're downtown and want to spend a casual afternoon chatting with a friend.

Pros: good food, well-priced
Cons: only veg restaurant in LB!
HermosaJulieJo
HermosaJulieJo

Food good, Ambiance not so good...

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2007

I was really excited to find a vegetarian restaurant in Long Beach, a half-way point for me and my friend of many years to meet for lunch. I have been veg for 25+ years, and always appreciate finding more veg-friendly places. Well, the menu was ok and the food was ok, though their policy of not allowing the raw soup (which was good, by the way) to be added to an entree in exchange for the hot soup (same price on the menu--what gives??) combined with the dour emotionless way the wait staff treated us, does not make me want to return any time soon. Portobello sandwich was good.

Pros: Not Crowded or Noisy, Basic Veg/Vegan Food, Beer / Wine
Cons: Service w/a frown, Parking could be hard, Inflexible
Guest

I'M SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS PLACE!!

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2007

Cool Restaurant atmosphere! This was my first time there and I had the Pesto Sandwich (D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.!!), even my carniverous husband loved it. I also had the Spring Rolls which were really good as well. I drove 27 miles on my lunch break for this and it was TOTALLY worth it.

Pros: great food at good prices, cool atmosphere, nice staff
Cons: extremely slow service, to-go order took 30mins., too far from City of Ind.
Ladywaters
Ladywaters

Zephr Vegetarian Cafe

4 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2007

We went to L.A. for the day and decided on Zephr's Cafe. It opens at 11:00 a.m. We got there a few a minutes before and the owner was very nice and let us come in a look at the menu until they opened. They have a great selection of salads, sandwiches/burgers, entrees, and drinks. They also have a few selections for those who are 'raw' eaters. Everything sounded so good it took a while to decide! For two sandwiches and drinks it came to about 19.00. I highly recommend this place for anyone in the area. It's located in the downtown area of Long Beach.

Pros: great food, nice staff, fast service
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Zephr

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2007

Everything is vegan except a couple things but it says it on the menu. It was really good. The pea soup was very filling and warm. Also the tempeh sandwich was really good as well along with the shish ca bob. Would go back for sure.

goldenvox
goldenvox

A veggie/raw gem in Long Beach!

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2006

I was SO THRILLED to find a vegetarian/vegan/raw restaurant here in Long Beach. I've been there twice, and both times I enjoyed everything I had - so did my guests. The salad that I ordered was HUGE. I LOVE that they offer raw items (they have a raw soup of the day), and that they serve fresh coconut milk (seasonal, I believe) and a variety of Kombucha teas. My only complaint is that the decor is rather lacking.

Pros: Inexpensive, Great food
Cons: Esthetically lacking
maryzaint
maryzaint

I love this place

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2006

I go to zephr quite often, and I drag along my friends and family. The service is usually friendly, the food is basic but always tasty, and the pricing isnt too bad. The art they showcase on the walls is always different, so the'res always a different feel to the place everytime I walk in there. Only thing I dont like, it can get a bit warm in there. Ick. I would recomend this place to anyone. Even my non-veg family loves this place.

Pros: yummy food, decent prices, mostly vegan
Cons: too warm inside

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe: