Vegetarian Society of the...

VSDC is a nonprofit organization. It runs the DC area vegan meetup group. See webpage for events in metro DC area. more-less

First Review by Lettuce Muncher
daemon vegan
daemon vegan

Warm, friendly, and fun

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

Wonderful and very diverse group of people who volunteer their time and do so much in the local area. VSDC is a strongly vegan organization that's also warm, welcoming, and positive. Check them out and see for yourself, and do get involved if you possibly can.

Pros: Committed volunteers, Work to build a community, Welcoming and friendly
Cons: Constrained by volunteer energy, Some events fill up fast
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance

They are passable

2 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2010

VSDC is ok but they refused to go vegan at their functions. Even some vegan members of the group thought that exploiting animals was ok at gatherings so they don't offend the carnists and vegetarians. They do help out within the community and help sponsor events but it is very sad they won't go vegan or at least adopt a policy of strict vegetarianism

Pros: sponsors a lot of events
Cons: refuses to be vegan
  • Veganwithavengance Veganwithavengance

I just wonder why there was any debate about being vegan at their functions? Why would animal products be ok in any situation? There is nothing clear about saying non-vegan stuff is ok and that we should worry about accommodating carnists and vegetarians, food wise. Promote veganism and don't be wishy-washy because it doesn't help animals.

If you properly define veganism and be confident about it people will take you seriously and want to know more. When we make excuses for people and call them vegan when they aren't there yet it makes a joke out of it and hurts animals in the end and people give up easily but if we are honest we will be better off.

• daemon vegan daemon vegan

Everything VSDC does is planned vegan. They never promote or encourage any animal products. They are one of clearest voices for a vegan diet and lifestyle in the DC area, showing why it's easy, fun, and so important. I'd encourage anyone to check them out and decide for yourself.

Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

Request a vegetarian guide.

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

I had them send me a vegetarian guide to DC and recommend this as an option. I wish the guide came with a map because I am unfamiliar with the area but it still helped. Since Happy Cow limits the veg-friendly locations I used this to find other places to eat. Each suggested restaurant has information on whether they have a veg menu or can accommodate and even if you need to make sure the fish sauce is left off (I skipped those places).

Pros: Helpful Guide, Informative
Cons: No Area Map

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Society of the District of Columbia: