Friendly atmosphere, has some vegan items on menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly
80b Newland Avenue, East Yorkshire, UK
Hull, England
01482-494352

Open Mon-Sat 10.00-17.00.

First Review by hack_man
hungryveg
hungryveg

Ok food but some a bit pricy for what it is

3 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

I try to support vegie cafes and restaurants as much as can. I cannot understand why vege places in Hull have to be so (how to put this politely) ... rustic. I had the vege burger and asked for it to take away. It was very tasty and would get it again but £4.50 for a midweek lunch (not incuding a drink) is expensive to me and for a weekend treat I would tend to go somewhere a bit smarter and comfortable. Would be nice to have a smaller and cheaper lunch take away menu, sausage rolls, egg/sausage butties etc.

Pros: tasty, fully vegetarian, good choice of cakes
Cons: pricy for what it is, needs a smarter location
vegansara
vegansara

Homely and Friendly

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

I've been coming here for years and the food is lovely. Very homely, comfort-style food which I love! I recommend bangers, mash, gravy and peas with chocolate fudge cake and ice cream for dessert. (All of which is vegan). Janet, the lady who owns it, is lovely too.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Friendly
Cons: Decor, Child-friendly(!)
samfox
samfox

Great Cafe, Friendly Staff

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

Following numerous visits, I thought it only right that I finally write a review! The menu at Zoo is a varied typical cafe menu incliding a great range of coffees, teas, smoothies, soup,breakfasts, burgers, mezze, burritos. jackey potatoes etc. There is a great selection of cakes which can be had with vegan ice cream.

I had the veggie burger with onions and hummous. The hummous is delicious, tasting that good it has to be home made, the burger itself was tasty and filling.

i then had a smoothy, which was as yummy as you would expect, followed by vegan chocolate fudge cake with vegan icecream.

The prices are incredibly good eg. burger £4.50, cake £2.20 with ice cream.

The staff were accomodating, and took the time to talk us through what was vegan. When i asked for a black coffee they were also quick to offer soya milk (believe me ive been to loads of vegan friendly places and they never have it). I left (my previous visits were over a year ago due to work) thinking i will definately visit again, so a week later here i am! (well i cant remember menus normally!)

highly recommend a visit, the best vegan/veggie cafe in hull by far.

Pros: Staff Friendly, Excellent Value, Menu Choices
Cons: Hard to Find - hardly a con though.
LauraFox
LauraFox

Great Cafe!!

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2011

I visited Zoo cafe earlier this month and was very happy with my experience there. There were a few vegan options on the menu- I had the vegan burger.

It was great value at £15 for both me and my partner to eat and have one drink each.

The cafe has a laidback atmosphere.It's somewhere you could go and meet your friends or take a laptop to do some work on or sit and read. (there is some comfy seating there)

The staff were lovely- my boyfriend wanted houmous on his burger and the lady who served us popped out for some more lemons so she could make it fresh- nothing was too much trouble.

We will definitely return when next in Hull.

Pros: great value, laidback atmosphere, good food
Jezz037
Jezz037

when in Hull visit Zoo

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

A little place tucked away in a courtyard in the student district of hull. Inexpensive and tasty food - leave room for the cakes! Friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere. The decor is a bit of a cliche of itself with 70's style sticky shiny pine tables. Nothing that a bit of sandpaper wouldn't sort out! Good to see proper veggie places around, so long may it continue!

Pros: good authentic veggie wholefoods, friendly atmosphere , good value
Cons: sticky shiny pine

hack_man
hack_man

Community Atmosphere

2 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2010

Popped in for lunch one Saturday afternoon whilst in Hull to spend a night at the fantastic Hitchcocks vegetarian restaurant in the Old Town. It's a bit like a second hand shop in here with toys, bric-a-brac and books all over the place. The 'open' kitchen is at the back serving cheaply made basic home-made nosh. This place would win first prize at the onion festival, stear clear of the mezze unless you're a fan of cous cous with onions, salad, salsa & tzatziki with chunks of onions, and steel tasting tinned olives. Also the bangers and mash is something out of a camping trip. To be fair it's vegetarian and I'd probably give it a second chance if I was ever in Hull again. Sorry about the poor revue but that's just the way it was on the day.

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: messy inside, onions

Dear Owner and Manager of The Zoo: