Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe, restaurant, and bar housed in a charming 100 year old villa. Air-conditioned inside. Sketches and paintings from local artists adorn the walls, and a garden bar is on the top floor. Hosts live music nights. The menu features Pan-European food with some meals being vegetarian and a few vegan. Good coffee. Price: Expensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, European, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

• Cash only

First Review by tattopani
killianH
killianH

nice place a few vegan food

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

Nice spot, with some good food and great drinks. The mango curry is a nice combination of textures and tastes with the sweet of mango, the crunchy peanut and coriander, and the vegan lentil pasta is perhaps their best dish. The rest of the vegan/vegetarian food is really poor, and the veggie burger was one of the worst i've had (sugary bun, patty falling to bits, no salad). The iced drinks are pretty good, but if you want vegan food you are limited here.

Pros: central location, iced drinks
Rob - Bath
Rob - Bath

Great place to eat and visit

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2014

We ended up going here more than once. Nice food - interesting and creative menu. Gluten free options clearly marked. Friendly staff, laid back atmosphere and live music on occasions.

philjdomm
philjdomm

Chique

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

Heard the last customer complained about too much salt.

Which reminded me to always tell the chef no sugar and salt in any of my food and drinks!

Pros: Chique, Atmosphere, Balcony
Cons: Salty Food, Expensive

reissausta ja ruokaa
reissausta ja ruokaa

Lovely place

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

Hanoi Social Club has lovely atmosphere and decoration. It is a cafe where I would like to sit for hours.

I ordered pasta with cherry tomatoes and olives but the taste was plain. It seemed to only have some oil and maybe a little bit spices in the pasta and then cherry tomatoes and olives around it. I would have been good, if the tomatoes and olives had been made to a lovely fried sauce with oil, chopped onions and garlic, salt, pepper and herbs. But no.

There was not many vegan options in the menu. I would have liked to eat a burger, but it was not vegan.

If I lived in Hanoi I would come here often, but not to eat if the other portions are as bland tasting. It would be amazing if they had any vegan cakes or cookies.

I visited Hanoi Social Club in March 2014.

Pros: They have soy milk for coffee is you ask, Lovely decoration
JoslynChittilapally
JoslynChittilapally

Excellent food!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2013

Loved the Mango curry with coconut milk. Spicy and hit the spot! well done! Chilled out place too :) Definitely coming back!

Pellio
Pellio

fantastic place

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

Fantastic vibe. Check out all 3 levels of comfy seating. Great food but expensive. Many vegetarian options but vegan options for breakfast/light lunch a bit thin on the ground. Iced coffee is delicious.

Pros: great vibe, great English speakers, high quality food
Cons: expensive for Hanoi, not much vegan snacks
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Creative menu but...

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2013

Preface: My friend and I rode our bicycles 1000 miles from northern Thailand to Hanoi and had been eating fried rice for two weeks previous to this. This meal was to be our reward and we fully intended to binge and splurge. Unfortunately the food fell rather flat as several of our dishes simply lacked flavor. It was disappointing for sure. We each had their soup of the week, a winter root vegetable blend which had an excellent texture by didn't possess much taste. It could have really used something else. For our entree I had the mango curry which, again, fell completely flat on taste although the portion was generous (and should be for the prices they charge). It tasted nothing like mango, let alone like much of anything. I was so bummed! My buddy had the veggie burger which came on a rather dry and unheated bun. The burger itself wasn't terribly warm either. The taste wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. His bamboo shoot fries did not agree with my pallet however he thought they were OK. For dessert we had the chocolate beetroot cake which was tasty however could have used more icing for sure. Simply put, this is an expensive restaurant for Hanoi and you don't get much bang for your buck. Our meal with drinks was 635,000d, or about $32. We would have paid the same back in the states however the food wouldn't have been bland.

On the upside, the restaurant itself has terrific character and is clearly run by progressive minded individuals which counts for a lot with me. The staff were very attentive, friendly, and spoke English well. The music ranged from excellent to awful within minutes.. they need to figure this out.. going from Devendra Banheart to Cypress Hill to awful club music to Percy Sledge. Please, please drop the crap! Stick with great, classic, mellow music that fits the mood of the building. Free wifi and a nice cat patrolling around. I'll go back for a drink or maybe espresso but not the food.

Pros: Excellent character, Great staff, At times very relaxing music
SallyMackenzie
SallyMackenzie

beautiful food

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

The food here was lovely and massive servings. We ordered a pumpkin salad and a cous cous roti wrap. It wasn't dirt cheap (compared to standard Vietnamese food prices) but it was still very reasonably priced, and worth every cent. Atmosphere is really nice, has a cool vibe and friendly staff.

Guest
Guest

expect to pay Aussie Prices

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2012

I liked the ambience as soon as I walked in. Chilled music, low lights. I ordered the green leafy salad with goats cheese which was Delicious and the mango curry with brown rice, equally delicious. I had a wonderful lime and mint slushie too. Wanted to have the sticky date for dessert but I was so full I couldn't fit it in! Expect to pay Australian Prices but well worth the money. The serving sizes are very generous. I highly recommend a visit.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy food, Great ambience
Cons: Expensive
Jazzfish
Jazzfish
  • non-vegetarian

Nice place with very tasty food

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2012

This restaurant is located in a classic old French Colonial building and has preserved many of the charming original features. I was especially pleased to see the original floor tiles and the uneven floor. It is a very comfortable, casual setting. I ordered the veggie burger (chickpeas, pumpkin, walnut, mango chutney and red onions on a whole wheat bun). The burger was quite large, but delicious - a great combination of ingredients. There were no sides with the burger, which was fine with me. For dessert, I ordered a chocolate beetroot cake with cardamom icing and a cappuccino. Everything was served quickly and tasted great. The meal was reasonably priced, more expensive than local food, but a bit cheaper than other expat food of similar quality. I will definitely be back.

Pros: Interesting menu, Friendly staff, Comfortable setting
Cons: Can't think of any
iamere
iamere

nice but expensive!

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

To give this restaurant credit, this is the first time I almost couldn't eat all I was given. The portion, though a bit on the expensive side in relation to local prices, was very large.
They have a good range of veggie and vegan options, and make an effort to mark which is which on the menu. The first time i've seen that done in a while.
I ate a burger (very very tasty) and some fries (needed a change from asian cuisine) and I had a drink... all this set me back around 200 dong. (going towards 7 pounds)
The restaurant has a nice ambience to it, with some nice seating upstairs too.
It's worth a try!!!

Pros: nice friendly staff, lots of food for your money, nice setting
Cons: bit expensive
tattopani
tattopani

adorable comfort food

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

I was quite surprised by my trip in Vietnam. I really couldn't find outstanding vegetarian food. Quite good vegetarian food, yes, but not great. So I was quite fortunate to at least have one meal in Hanoi which was superb, though not Vietnamese!
I had a quinoa and polenta, gluten free breakfast (despite it being night time!). It had pistachios, blackcurrants, dried apricots, honey, fresh cream, coconut. It was absolutely devine, even by my hometown standards in Austria. Really creamy and a good balance of sweet and savoury. My partner ordered a mango and tomato curry on brown rice, and she was also very impressed.
This cafe was quite a surprise because nowhere else in our long (6 week) trip in Vietnam did we see anything like this. The next night, they had live bluegrass music performance on, but we didn't get to see this.
Definitely recommend.

Pros: delicious food, great atmosphere, coffee+++

Dear Owner and Manager of The Hanoi Social Club:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Hanoi page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/10/20