Serves meat, veg options available. Fish and macrobiotic vegetarian food. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
210 6th Ave (Soho, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10014-4902
212-807-7421

Mon-Fri 11:30am-10:30pm, Fri 11:00am-10:30pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by Poundie
corinal
corinal

Not outstanding

3 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

The Mu 16 tea was really good and tasted strongly of licorice. We had the 6-piece veggie tempura, avocado roll, age tofu, and vegetables and noodles in sesame miso broth. Overall, the food was bland and not very interesting with the exception of the age tofu, which was good.

Pros: Lots of options
Cons: Bland food
Oliveyou
Oliveyou

more macro please!

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2014

Delicious, simple, clean food. Lots of options. All vegan save for the fish. Nourishing food and friendly service.

Pros: good portion sizes
Elicia
Elicia

Great place to bring non-vegetarians

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

Vegan macrobiotic cooking at its finest! The mushrooms are amazing, cant always get them because it not on the regular menu and is usually a special.
Non-vegans/vegetarians can eat fish. I am told the fish is really wonderful but it is a little on the pricey side, well worth it in terms of quality. Their seitan options are appealing to the omnivore as well. The rice/grain mixes are always lovely, I always feel nourished when I leave. This location has a beautiful ambiance great for a date but try not to sit by the bathroom. Don't bother with the sushi appetizer, it is not exciting, kinda plain. There are so many more amazing things to try on this menu!

Pros: Lovely zen atmosphere, Mushrooms!
Cons: sushi appetizer

hokusai77
hokusai77

Great macrobiotic food

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

I had a wonderful dinner experience at Souen. Portions are huge, flavours are carefully balanced, with a nice blend of American and Japanese cuisine. But what I remember the most is their vegan New York cheesecake, which was absolutely decadent and divine!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
calead910
calead910

I'll never forget...

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

Souen. Best food, so tasty, so fresh. I spent many college days stopping in here. I love it and I talk about it all the time.

Pros: Everything is perfect
Cons: They serve some meat.
unwesen
unwesen

Given that it's macrobiotic...

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2008

... which I associate with a "healthy" taste, the food was absolutely delicious. I've been to better restaurants, but not very many. And the non-vegetarian I went with had no complaints either :)

Poundie
Poundie

Healthy good restuarant

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2006

The food here is healthy and very well prepared. I find the food extremely tasty, though I would hesitate bringing non-vegetarians here--it might be a bit too hard core for them.

Pros: Healthy, good food

Dear Owner and Manager of Souen - Soho: