Samadhi

Samadhi Southeast Asian dishes feature tofu, seitan, and spicy food in a nice and relaxed non-smoking atmosphere. Mostly vegan food. Main dishes are each over euro 10. Very close to some of the main sights of Berlin, such as the Brandenburg Gate. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Vietnamese, Asian
Wilhelmstr. 77 (near Brandenburger Tor)
Berlin, Germany D-10117
030-22488850

Open Mon-Sun 12-11pm.

First Review by A.Z.P.
MitziTant
MitziTant

service? meh.

3 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

the place was empty when we arrived but the service was still slow. the waitress was on the phone having private conversations most of the time. once we ordered our food arrived pretty quickly afterward and it was good, but not worth the price.

Pros: food arrived quickly, good location near touristic attractions
Cons: bad service, not worth the price
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Pleasant

3 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

A nice spot to stop for lunch when doing the typical tourist sights nearby- if you are vegan just check which dishes are vegan, as I remember questioning some things on the menu. Had a nice noodle curry dish, it was fresh and a good portion- quite mild/plain but I think it was meant to be. Would return if I had no fully vegan options closer.

Jirko
Jirko

disappointing all the way

2 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

This was surely disappointing. The lady who was serving us showed no interest and was unfriendly. Food was also rather bland, we expected more taste and spiciness from asian cuisine. For this price you can eat much better with much friendlier staff all over Berlin.

The only pro is it's location so close to Brandenburg Tor.

Pros: location
Cons: unfriendly staff, bland food , pricy
Prema_b
Prema_b

nice & fresh

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

The food was yummy and fresh with good serving sizes. We also got the lunch special so it was well priced too. Nice place to have lunch while sightseeing at the Brandenburger gate.

Pros: fresh, tasty, good location

Tara HD
Tara HD

Huge choice

3 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

It's all Southeast Asian, so you have to like that, but if you do, there is sooo much to choose from and most items either are or can be made vegan. I liked the food but was a little disappointed that it wasn't spicy at all (even though it said so on the menu) and the spicy sauce that they offered was more oily than hot.

Pros: huge choice, central location
Cons: a bit too greasy
Cantona1983
Cantona1983

good restaurant but a bit pricey

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

the food was very good - and luckily my sister invited us for dinner, because when i saw the bill i nearly got a heart attack - then again, must be the location.

veg.dan
veg.dan

good veg/vegan restaurant in Brandenburg area

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

Had lunch here today. Got a little worried when the power was out but came back on in 5 mins as told by the owner. After a refreshing viet lime soda I got the number 36 and my partner had cold rolls with the papaya salad. All the dishes were great, nicely presented and very tasty. Only con is the price, it's expensive but that's to be expected on this side of town where restaurants are all fairly fancy pants and geared towards tourists visiting the reichstag and the gate, etc. atmosphere was okay and the owner was nice and spoke good English.

Pros: great food, service
anna900
anna900

HUGE portions!

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

We went here twice during our stay in Berlin because it was so near to our hotel. The portions are huge so make sure you wear your elasticated pants!
The highlights of our visits included the starter for 2 (which could easily be a starter for 4); the veggie yellow curry; spicy courgettes stuffed with tofu; and the very friendly staff.
It doesn't have the ambience of some of the other restaurants but for the price I think you get what you pay for.
The 'spicy' food isn't very spicy, although you can ask them to make it hotter for you.
There's a lot of deep fried food so beware!
It was all good and we'd go again if we were in that part of Berlin.

lewisjc
lewisjc

Great Vegan choice

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Clean and had great choice for vegans
It feels like a restaurant rather than your typical vegan corner cafe

lady_linzi
lady_linzi

Nice little place

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

We came across this place after following the signs from the Reichstag. It's very close to Potsdamer Platz and given the location I am guessing that most of the places in the area are quite pricy, this was a little on the expensive side. We weren't too hungry so we only had a soup and a salad each but everything was really fresh and well presented. It seems to be mainly Thai food on the menu. It was very quiet when we went, we were the only people there but then it was mid-afternoon. Service was very friendly and very efficient, I would recommend this place if you are in the area, loads of vegan choices and it all looked good.

Pros: Nice food, Pleasant service, Patio
Cons: A little expensive
justybin79
justybin79

Very disappointing

2 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

Samadhi has a vast menu and lots of interesting options to choose from. We mistakingly went for the vegetable tempura which was very oily and doughy, not light and crispy as expected. The spring roll was bland, and again, very oily - although we had hoped these would be the cold rice pancake spring rolls rather than fried. The service was a bit chaotic and we had to move our own starter plates in order for our mains to be put down. This restaurant has potential, but improvements are needed.

Pros: Price, Selection
Cons: Unhealthy, Oily, Service
bluedonut
bluedonut

good, reasonably priced place in a difficult area

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

good vegan food, nice people. it's south-east asian vegan and vegetarian. plates are 8-12 euros, which is good for the area. the vibe is nothing special, a bit austere. I'm giving it a 4 simply because it's much appreciated in an area that is quite touristy and filled with governmental offices, and the food is good. But don't go out of your way to try it.

Pros: food, location
Cons: vibe
JoyS
JoyS

Great for vegans

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

I've been to this restaurant several times during a trip to Berlin. Huge choice, the food is oily and heavy only if you order fried dishes, they can make yummy light stuff too. Most of what I tried tasted very good, but don't go there if you don't like south-east asian food.
Very vegan friendly, big portions. Main courses cost around 10-12€, but are definitely big enough for a meal that will make you feel more than full (especially if you take something mostly fried).
Their big bowls of noodle soup and noodle dishes with coconut milk and peanuts are especially delicious.
The place is fairly big, the staff is friendly and service is fast.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 14, 2011

Pros: Excellent food, Big portions, fairly good value, Vegan friendly
Cons: Might be a little expensive
Rat.Fink
Rat.Fink

Delicious Asian food that is excellent for vegans

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

I went here after visiting the Brandenburg Gate on holiday and followed the signs. I thoroughly enjoyed eating here. I had a vegan thai-style curry with aubergine in a peanut sauce, with a good helping of rice. It was delicious. There are English menus here, which was very helpful for me, and the prices are good. Most of the menu is vegan, or can be altered to be, and they even serve vegan pina coladas. Samadhi is well worth a visit.

Pros: Delicious food, Menu is mostly vegan, Near the sights
CKay
CKay

tasty but expensive treat

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

I was a little worried to eat here after reading some of the reviews people had left on here about Samadhi. Also having looked at the menu online, it is quite pricey(though if you are in this area a lot of the food looked pricey). We stopped in after a long, hot day of site seeing and the place looked practically deserted. It is surrounded by a number of other restaurants that were packed with people and there was maybe 3 people there besides the staff. We were hungry, so we went for it. It might have been one of the better places we ate in Berlin. Huge portions, friendly staff, tasty food. If you find yourself in this part of the city, check it out.

Pros: Tasty food, Huge Portions, Friendly Staff
Cons: Expensive
DortheGuldfeldt
DortheGuldfeldt

Too much oil

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

There was a smell of cheap oil and the food had a taste of reused cooking oil. I didn't even remember what I had ... something tofu(no taste) with peanutsauce and rice with veggies with oily taste. Sorry but I dislike the taste and smell of old oil. It was expensive as well - I cannot believe it's so popular ???

pradipd
pradipd

Pleasant SE Asian Cuisine

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

They have signs all over in the Brandenburg Gate area to make sure you donot miss the restaurant. The name is Indian / Buddhist, but the cuisine is SE Asian inspired. We had soups, spring rolls and noodles. Everything was fresh and delicious. The host who was also the waiter, had a delightful sense of humor that added spice to the experience. Go for it.

Pros: Value, Location, Variety
Chiechi
Chiechi

good, but a bit tame for thai

3 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

The service is mind-blowingly fast and the menu is the size of a phone book, but the spices were tame for Thai. I suspect they have to dial it back a bit because they are in a very touristy location, but I ordeordered "Thai spicey" and got medium at best. To be fair the server asked if it was spicey enough and, when I said no, she brought me some extra peppers, but they really need to be cooked with the food to impart flavor as well as heat. However this place is a welcome oasis in a sea of currywurst stands. They also offer a great selection of desserts.

Pros: HUGE menu, most dishes can be made vegan, light speed service
Cons: mild spice, portions could be a bit bigger
anton
anton

culinary delights

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2011

yesterday I`ve been out to samadhi with a friend:
It was a burst of flavour!
The meals of the long menu all sound so temptly, and a photo album helped choosing. Our choice was great: rice soup, that prevents a cold, tofu in leaves made nice sound while still frying, surprisingly prepared vegetables. All tasted amazingly delicious and special. The owners creates the meals themselves. The service is very friendly. I can highly recommend this place.

Pros: delicious meals, surprising flavour, friendly service
eye of judgement
eye of judgement

nice asian in the center, but beware!

3 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2010

We came across this restaurant which is nicely located near a lot of the tourist attractions in former east Berlin. The service was good.
We ordered two dishes which differed significantly in quality. The Fried tofu in black bean sauce was delicious, as was a previous experience with the stuffed pineapple, but the fried rice noodles with curry weren't very good. The Curry lacked seriously in taste, which made the whole meal rather dull.
Concluding: This restaurant is a good choice if you find yourself in that area of Berlin, just don't take the Knusprige Reisnudeln.

Pros: not too expensive, locatd close to Unter den Linden
Cons: knusprige reisnudeln
andrea
andrea

Stop in.

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2010

Even though I'd read the Happy Cow reviews, I didn't remember this place. But if you are wandering near the Brandenberg Gate or the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Euruope (Is that weighty enough?), you will see their signs all over. So of course, we went in. The menu is extensive, and the staff was very nice and spoke a bit of English.

I can't understand the person complaining about small portions, we both brought leftovers home. But it was quite pricey for veg food in Berlin. I think 12 euros each, for veggies and some tofu. That said, it was convienient unlike a lot of veggie places you have to seek out, and the food was very good. They have Warsteiner vom fass, one of our favorite beers in Germany, so it's all good.

Pros: Tasty food, Location
Cons: Prices
Psychonaut
Psychonaut

Almost vegan, tasty, very friendly

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

The food is good, the ambiente very nice and the waiter was extremely friendly and talkative.
Most things are vegan and there are lots of things on the card, the rest can be made vegan.
Very nice, we would eat there again if close to the Brandenburger Tor.

Pros: Very friendly staff, good atmosphere, good food, almost everything vegan
hack_man
hack_man

One of my Favourites

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2010

Definitely one of my favourite oriental veggie eating places ever. the currys are fabulous, great noodles and delicious rice dishes extremely well presented in wonderfully oriental surroundings. The menu is virtually 100% vegan, the currys (yellow, green and red) are so fragrant and can be made as hot as required. Wine and beer is available and the place is open late so you can enjoy a pleasant evening in a nice part of Berlin very close to the Brandenburg Gate.

Pros: food, atmosphere, location
earthville
earthville

Good all around

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

I ate at Samadhi twice during my two days in Berlin. The menu is Asian fusion, and principally Vietnamese (since the restaurant was founded by Vietnamese refugees many years ago). I'm a big fan of Vietnamese and Thai cuisine and, for my taste, Samadhi didn't disappoint. The owners and servers were all very warm and helpful, and the server spoke good English, helping me to identify the vegan options. There is seating both indoors and out, and both are pleasant. They can do to-go orders too. Recommended.

Pros: Tasty vegan dishes, Good location, Nice people
kaamoskissa
kaamoskissa

Expensive disappointment

3 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2009

After reading the previous praising review my expectations were really high but I have to say I was badly disappointed. First of all, the food was hardly more than average - sure you can find tastier dishes here than in cheap Asian restaurants Berlin is full of, but for 10-12 euros (that's a lot for a meal in Berlin!) you expect something really special. The biggest downside, however, was the small portion size: I visited the restaurant with two friends and two of us left the place hungry. The food was nicely arranged, though, and the service was friendly. So if you like well prepared Thai/Vietnamese food and can afford the prices, go for it. But this is definitely not for hungry travelers with tight budgets.

Pros: friendly service, well prepared food
Cons: pricy, small portion size
food lover
food lover

Excellent value, Superb Selection - Must Visit!!

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2009

We visited this restaurant over Xmas 2008 during a vacation to Berlin. A lot of veggie restaurants seem to close in Berlin over Xmas, but not this one! We were very impressed- over 70 items on the menu to choose from, and most dishes could be made vegan as well!! The food was gorgeous - huge portions, super yummy, very cheap compared to other veggie restaurants in Berlin (see my other reviews eg good time). Staff were super friendly, and restaurant was easy to find/well sign posted around the area. Due to the large portion sizes, you could just stick with main course (10 euros or less), and skip starters/dessert. Lunch was that great, that we even ordered some takeaway for dinner. Another bonus was that they had a photo album of each menu item, and due to the huge selection on offer, it was actually easier to flick through the photos (with captions) to decide what to have. All four of us ordered different things and they were all great. Interior decor was clean, nice and basic. Not super fancy like good time restaurant, but then again, the food at Samadhi was half the price, larger portions, and equally as delicious. Would highly recommend visiting to anyone!

Pros: Excellent value, Huge selection, Large portion sizes
Jade n Lucy
Jade n Lucy

great little place

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2008

We had a lovely meal in here last weekend. They have a wonderful and extensive menu. The waiter can show you a photographic menu so you can see what you are ordering in advance. The menu is in English as well as German. Everything we got was delicious and all the ingredients tasted super fresh. I'd love to go here again if I am ever in Berlin again. The staff were very friendly and polite and asked if we were vegan etc. so they could make adjustments to the meals if necessary. If you like Asian food you should try this place. Top marks!

Pros: delicious mmmm, friendly :), peaceful
Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.

What a relaxing, tasty, and enjoyable experience !

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2008

The range of dishes was huge, but note that the paper takeaway menu - in the holders outside the restaurant - don't give any idea of what awaits seated indoors. Inside I was also presented with a separate photographic menu showing what the food looked like. This is a restaurant so don't expect dirt-cheap pricing; neither was it overly expensive. Looking across at other patrons there appeared to be some variability in the portion sizes, but this is only an issue if you expect to eat like an ox in one sitting.
My first meal was from the takeaway menu, although I chose to sit al fresco in the afternoon. The dish (fried sweet-sour tofu, served with rice) was distinctly unappealing and retained the distinct imprint of vinegar. However, it was prepared with speed so I wasn't too bothered, simply because I was famished.
My second meal - this time from the proper menu - was at night, and tasted gorgeous. I had the papaya salad, the spring rolls served with sweet chilli sauce and side crunches, and the egg-fried rice with tofu (also served with some raw vegetables, ie. tomatoes, shredded and tangy green papaya).
All the dishes I had were delivered to my table consecutively, showing that the management were attentive to diners. Nothing - except the papaya salad - went into my mouth and tummy cold. All dishes were generous and each would probably amount to two servings in many other restaurants.
Delivered and presented impeccably, the proof was in the tasting; out of the dishes I had only the papaya salad is traditionally hot/spicy, but even this would suit a mild palate. I personally wish I'd asked for some added piquancy.
The only minor thing I found slightly off-putting was the sound of the till ringing out, for some five seconds each time after other patrons had requested their bill. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the food, nor did it bother others who continued to chat jovially.
Just a tad south of the U.K embassy, and around the corner from the Brandenburger Tor, this is a heaven-sent refuge from the pervasive wurst chocking up U-Bahn and S-Bahn stations. Thai, German, and English spoken, it's still useful to have some German, but the menu was in the latter two languages. I can't recommend this establishment enough !

Pros: Delicious food., Quiet ambience., Welcoming.
Cons: Mildly noisy till machine.
craigmc
craigmc

south east asia in berlin

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2008

A mixture of tha and vietnamese food. A few chinese dishes thrown in as well. Good selection for vegans also. The big bowl of soup was a godsend on a cold day, and it was a big bowl. Mains from 10 euro, good selection of starters. Dishes have plenty of lemongrass and ginger. All good. 5 minutes walk from the brandeburg gate. a must.

Pros: tasty, packed with veg, nice staff

fantastic food

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2007

Very good veggy food. Centrally located near Brandenberg Gate / Reichstag. I liked the Thai soups as they were delicious and didn't have any of that nasty fish sauce in them. The number of dishes is huge. SummerRolls, like spring rolls filled with lettuce and tofu, are good. There are a number of different tofu types, smoked, crunchy, smooth all used well.
The only drawback is although they say you can have food as hot (chili hot) as you wish, when I asked, all he said was "For you I will make medium" I think that if you want a really hot curry you would have to ask for it in Thai or offer to eat a raw chili :-) They don't want to hurt you. Which is nice.
They have a different menu at lunch time than the evenings.

Pros: Good food, Centeral location, Child friendly

German Thai Fusion

2 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

I have had good vegetarian Thai food, but not at Samadhi. It is very average and more like German food than Thai. I agree with other reviewers that the food here is way too salty. The dishes were either sweet &/or sour and all salty. We asked for medium chilli but got none, and added it ourselves with the table condiments. The food is really a fusion of Thai dishes with German tastes which is an interesting experience. Ate at 2 other non-vegetarian Thai restaurants in Oranienburger Strass that had plenty of vegetarian dishes equal to or just better than here.

Pros: Smoking section
Cons: Food too salty
  • Visit Visit

Well, this is not Thai-Restaurant! To survive, you need to meet the taste of your customers and of course you will get a "mild" version! I really disagree that the food is "a fusion of Thai dishes with German taste" - You have been to Berlin, but it seems you did not try the real German kitchen....

gradjanin7
gradjanin7

Quite alright

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2007

Nicely done interior. A really HUGE choice of food. Be careful what you choose - there is a really great variety of tastes in Samadhi (unfortunately, I chose coconut milk soup which didn't really go down with me very well). I didn't understand the smoking/non-smoking part of the restourant - the place is fairly small - there were no smokers when we were there, but if there were the smoke would easily spread through the whole place. The prices are a bit high but worth it for a one time try-out of some meals you don't get at your regular veg place.

Pros: lots of food choices, friendly staff, cosy atmosphere
Cons: a bit pricey
  • Visit Visit

Its a non-smoking restaurant now!

lullabelle
lullabelle

Great Value!

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2007

We went to Berlin last November and followed a sign from the Brandenburg Gate to the restaurant.I cant understand the other reviews, this place was fantastic! The food was delicious and reasonably priced. The waiter was very friendly and attentive. My boyfriend isnt vegetarian but he is still raving about the tofu/peanut satay! I love to eat out and have been in plenty of good restaurants but this was definitely one of the vegetarian dinners I have had

Pros: fabulous food
Cons: A little bit quiet
button
button

Disappointed

2 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2007

I unfortunately found the food REALLY SALTY and not very tasty. I've eaten a lot of Thai food in my day, and I was sadly disappointed. I probably should have sent it back, but didn't.

Pros: Convenient location, nice staff
Cons: Salty!
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Unique dining experience

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2006

The food here is simply delectable. everything is so fresh it is like eating from a steaming "garden of the gods". the quality of each dish is unbeatable. this restaurant shows how delicious nature can be. I particularly recommend the gebratener tofu (sweet and sour) it has so many great fresh veges in it like lotus root, fresh pineapple, bitter melon, tree ears and more all in a sauce whose flavours are subtle, refined, and delicious. the atmosphere is quaint and romantic (candles and all).the portions are good. the only minus is the price (i paid 17 euros for a meal for 1). but if you can afford it there is no doubt you get your moneys worth in Samadhi.

Pros: fresh and delectable, great portions, closes mid-day
Cons: pretty expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Samadhi: