Zagreb vegan restaurant based on macrobiotic principles. English spoken and on menu. Air conditioned, non smoking. Access to the restaurant from the side alley beside the health food shop. CLOSED AND REOPENED SOMEWHERE ELSE AS ZRNO BIO BISTRO IN JUN 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Macrobiotic, Organic, Croatian, International, Delivery
Ilica 72/1 (near Britanski Trg on 1st floor above health food shop, Tram 6)
Zagreb, Croatia
+385-01-4810059

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Stevie
ivaaanko
ivaaanko

Very good place!

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

Amazing restaurant, been there many times, atmosphere i urban, yet, calm, stuff friendly and educated, I like it cause it doesn't have that too granola-green-modest vibe, but nice and stylish. Shame that it doesn't work at the moment!

Pros: affordable, all organic, tasty
Cons: sometimes crowdy!
juzba
juzba

Undoubtedly, the best macrobiotic restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

I have visited quite a few vegan, veggie, not so many pure macrobiotic restaurant (just because there are not so many:( ) or many restaurants of any kind. No doubts that this is the best macrobiotic restaurant (not a buffet like in Amsterdam - although excellent, or Brussels nice and tiny kitchenette - although excellent macrobiotic plate again etc) . The daily menus change every day and never fail to delight; if not in entirety then at least one or a couple of things will be imaginative (always well combined and prepared). The soups and cakes are always superb. I have moved to Switzerland and miss Nova a lot. Looking forward to their new opening and my trip to Nova. I hope they will not change a chef or if they indeed do this, then to find a suitable replacement.

For me, Nova is 5+ cows (so far the only vegan/macrobiotic restaurant deserving this excellent + grade).

Saddler
Saddler

Superb

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

My wife and I visited Nova on a Thursday night in January. To be honest, we were not expecting too much, despite the good reviews. But the meal turned out to be quite exceptional, amongst the best vegetarian (vegan, in fact)food we have ever tasted in any restuarant anywhere in Europe. The portions were generous without being overlarge and the taste was outstanding. A few people have commented that the prices are a little high - we did not find this, certainly not compared with London prices. For two, three-course meals, including three glasses of wine, we paid about 60 euros. For food of this quality, no one can call this expensive. And we ate a la carte - the set meals are even less expensive. If there was a downside, it was that there were so few people taking advantage of what was on offer. Please don't let this place close - it has been open for 20 years and should be around for at least another 20. A few other features are the menu in English as well as Croation and the wonderful selection of vegan desserts. If you are in the vicinity, don't miss out!

Pros: Food quality, Vegan desserts, Excellent service

parsnip
parsnip

Good food

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2012

This restaurant offers nice, upscale, gourmet type vegan cuisine.

Pros: good food, english speaking staff, varied selection
abbybarker
abbybarker

Kebabs!

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2010

I ate here last week, the food here was delicious and filling, lots of choice and a nice setting. I had the kebabs (tofu and seitan with veg) and as with all croatian meals the portions were HUGE! The cakes looked delicious, but I was too full to fit one in.

Pros: Lots of choice, Huge portions, Delicious!
Cons: Staff could have been friendlier
gradjanin7
gradjanin7

Worth the cash

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2010

The one single thing I might say against the place is the relatively pricey food. However, the quality and quantity are without competition. The choice of meals is fair, not enormous but it's a medium sized place and so is it's menu.
If you're visiting Zagreb you MUST go there at least once, and if you're living in Zagreb, be sure to treat yourself to this restaurant's blissful food as often as you can!

Pros: food quality, meal size, menu size
Cons: price
Mary-Louise
Mary-Louise

Refreshing

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

I really enjoyed dining at Nova, the restaurant had a really nice and relaxing atmosphere. I was concerned that my carnivore partner would struggle with the food, but he loved his meal, which was seitan encrusted in peanuts on a bed of tomato and bread salad. I ordered a 'cranberry, apple and aloe vera' juice which was delicious and the daily special which was a variety of dishes also very tasty. The whole bill was approximately 30 Euros and worth every cent.

cdrk
cdrk

Good healthy food

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

I nice and quiet place (for those who like it so), excellent food and deserts.

Pros: vegan, tasty
demonika
demonika

macro-nova

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

this is a excellent food restaurant, serving macrobiotic dishes in inovative way and mixed with the local cuisine. food is delicious and complex,the plate comes in lots of colors.best soups in the city. they offer you the daily menu which is very big and you have to be hungry to eat it, but youre not walking away with a stone in your stomack but full of energy because of the organic ingredients and good cusine. menu list is big and good for vegans, they dont use any animal ingredient. and you get a free entree- roasted bread with tofu,olive oil,persil and garlic spread. they serve organic beers and wines also. but its not so much a restaurant for younger audience or avarage pockets cos daily menu is 12.5euros, so you dont eat there a lot + i think the people who are eating there are a bit fancy, but we can change that. for me best vegan food in zagreb

Pros: super food, great place, quiet
Cons: high prices

My favorite

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

I really like this place! Whenever I am in Zagreb I try to get there for lunch/dinner. So worth it. The atmosphere is really nice, clean but not cold, friendly and helpful staff, very tasteful and colorful dishes. Sophisticated in every way. No sugar, no dairy, no eggs, no alcohol. Best place in Zagreb!

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff
tyranny
tyranny

Could be better

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2008

This restaurant is a bit fancy, so it may be too pricy for backpackers and budget travellers. As for the quality, it was all very well-presented, but honestly I've thrown together more flavourful things in my own kitchen at 2am. However, I had the daily macroplate, and one excellent thing about it was that I felt like it gave me a much-needed nutrient boost - there was tofu, pasta, chickpeas, tahini, lentils, and a diverse range of vegetables. You can only live on muesli and soy milk for so long. I wouldn't go here again, though.

Pros: healthy, nice staff, quiet
Cons: not cheap, too oily
  • Merciless666 Merciless666

well, if you're unable to appriciate tasty and healhy food, you're probably better of with your muesli and soy milk...

dwc840
dwc840

Great Find!

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2008

awesome place to grab some dinner. food is a little expensive (if you're used to travelling on a budget as we were) but the entire experience makes it worthwhile. found on the 1st floor next to the yoga studios, the menu is vast and everyone is extremely friendly. food is phenomenal too! if you're in zagreb, you should definitely go!

Pros: great tasting food, location (right next to the main sq), ambiance
Cons: price
Merciless666
Merciless666

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

i went there on a holidays trip in 2005. first we were very curios, but the food totally changed our minds. really insiring cooking and definititly the best place to go in Zagreb. thumbs up!

Pros: good value, inpired and yummy, very central
Cons: 2 far from home

True vegan

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2007

Excellent food, tasty ambiance, clean & modern.
No dairy products, no eggs.
Colorfull dishes.
Non smoking place.
Pleasent vibe.
Highly recomended.

Pros: best food/place ever
Cons: none
daf187
daf187

great!

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2006

my hotel was 50m down the road, so i should have gone here more than once. anyhow, there were 6 of us, so we had a good go at the menu...great tofu and seitan dishes, fresh veg and vegan mayo/tofu dips. i also had some algae drink which was tastier than i thought. very friendly staff who were happy to explain ingredients etc.

Pros: all vegan, fair price, nice staff
Cons: no booze
Stevie
Stevie

Makronova

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2006

I really thought that this place was superb. Dishes are offered that are imaginative, contemporary and sophisticated. The waitor was very helpful. Fairly centrally located also, maybe a 10 min walk from the main square. Also pleasantly decorated.
One of the best veg*n restaurants I've had the pleasure of being in.

Pros: Superb food, Great service

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Nova: