New Frontiers Natural Foods

Natural food store with several locations. Stocks fresh organic fruits and vegetables and grocery. Also a deli that includes some vegetarian options. Previously located at 896 Foothill Blvd. more-less

First Review by groovyvegan
MiaMarcelle
MiaMarcelle

LOVE

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

I absolutely love the huge selection of products New Frontiers (Whole Foods, now) has! It's very helpful that I can go to one spot and find everything I need.

Pros: Vegan friendly, delicious deli, fun atmosphere
Cons: slightly pricey
lilyjeri1
lilyjeri1

Great food store for Veggie and Eco people

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

New Frontiers has a great selection for vegetarians and vegans alike, with organically and locally raised fruits and vegetables, an in-store deli featuring hot wok, sandwiches, and a salad bar, and a section for food bought in bulk. Most of their products are eco-friendly, but shopping can get a little on the pricey side. They have an awesome wall just for chocolate, which is my favorite part of the store ;). This is a good place to shop for specialty items, but the basics can be bought elsewhere for a better price.

groovychick
groovychick

Great Selection

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

I came here once with my cousin and my grandma looking for powdered coconut milk.We did not find it(we aren't even sure if it exists)but I got a chance to look around and I really dig this store. It's really big and there is a great selection of vegan foods. There is even a groovy little cafe inside, which also has plenty of vegan options.

Pros: great selection of vegan foods, groovy cafe inside, fun to look around
Cons: does not sell powdered coconut milk
LT
LT

Needs Improvement

2 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

New Frontiers is very similar to a large Whole Foods. The store is huge and has a wide range of fresh fruit, vegetables, and bulk priced around the same as WF. We can also special order items we don't see in the store. Pretty good.

However, New Frontiers frozen and packaged food is much more expensive than Whole Foods. About 20% more for most items. For instance, Tofurkey brand pizzas at Whole Foods are regularly priced $7.99, currently on sale for $6.49; but at New Frontiers it's $9.99. We've noticed the same over-pricing at New Frontiers for many many other items.

Customer service at New Frontiers is inconsistent. Sometimes the cashiers are nice and attentive, but other times there is an "I don't care, can't wait to get out of here" attitude. They say thank-you maybe 50% of the time.

One time the guy sweeping the floor nearly ran us over trying to grab some sample slices of pizza for himself. Didn't know employees were allowed to snack on the samples in front of customers.

One other thing. We requested that the bakery use another sweetener instead of honey in the "tofu chocolate pie" so vegans could buy a slice, but were told "That is the way we make it, and could only special order a whole pie that way". Really?

Hopefully management will read this and work out some of the issues. It is nice having a store like this in SLO, but it needs some improvement.

Pros: lots of organic produce, many bulk items, special ordering
Cons: overpriced frozen and packaged items, inconsistent customer service
lorddragol
lorddragol

Great store

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2010

My family has been shopping here for a couple of years now. They have a wide array of great produce and vegan foods. The deli serves up some of the best vegan deserts around from cakes, pies, cheezcakes, and cookies. Items change daily but they will custom make anything you want. Prices can be well, pricey. But if you really need to find what you want they will have it or get it for you.

Pros: Great deli, great service, great produce
Cons: high prices

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Very friendly and helpful Natural Foods store

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2010

Really this is about the only healthy place for a vegan to eat in town. We tried to go to blackbear bakery, natural food cafe and the meat smell just made us sick. New Frontiers could use some oil free vegan soups, the only fat free vegan items were brown rice and steamed veggies, but they were good and we put them in some McDougall Soups and had a good meal. The store is perfect, people working there are very helpful. There's tons of fatty vegan desserts, like Cupcakes, Key Lime Tofu Cheesecake, Apple Pies, etc that look amazing but are too rich for my blood!

Pros: friendly, steamed brown rice to go
Cons: oil in soups
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Vegan-Friendly Deli in Busy Health Food Store

3 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2007

New Frontiers Natural Foods is a busy health food store with a vegan-friendly deli counter. All vegan items are labelled, plus there are sandwiches and smoothies. Note the smoothies are not made with organic ingredients. The salad bar wasn't labelled organic, so I assume it wasn't. On one trip there, I had the blackened tofu burger, which was okay--kind of boring, nothing special. On another visit, I had the veggie sandwich which included several raw veggies, smashed avocado, and hummus--not bad. There are also a handful of vegan desserts, which looked good, but I didn't have any.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, Vegan items labelled
Cons: Smoothies not organic

Dear Owner and Manager of New Frontiers Natural Foods: