M.O.B. - Maimonide of Brooklyn

Billed as avant-garde vegetarian food with appetizers like creamy corn soup with popcorn, dry cured fennel and sage saucisson of sundried tomato, porcini mushroom, and quinoa salad. Offers M.O.B.s which are house-baked dough made with locally grown and milled organic flour shaped like the arches of the Brooklyn Bridge and topped with fruit, vegetable, and seasoning. Weekend brunch til 4:30pm. Also a location in Paris. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out
525 Atlantic Ave (3rd Ave)
Brooklyn, New York 11217
718-797-2555

Tue-Fri 9:00am-12:00am, Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm

First Review by changoamable
Elicia
Elicia

Delish!

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2015

This is the place to go when you want comfort food.
Sometimes you just want a vegan burger and this is an eclectic spot to sit down, relax and enjoy one. The communal dining room is hysterical, when we went there were veggies mounted on plaques as art on the walls, and they were noted to give their lives for your favorite dishes. Very cute. They also have outdoor seating and we saw a white possum stroll by while we were eating! Yes there is wild life in Brooklyn!
I have to say that the roasted cauliflower and the gluten free pizza are amazing!
You have to try the beet wine. I cant believe how much I enjoyed it!

Pros: Beautiful outdoor seating, Cool, eclectic, indoor dining room, Beet wine!
Cons: Not many low calorie choices., Shakes are kinda plain.
hrefna
hrefna

Yum!!!

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2015

I came here with a friend and we loved our meals - unusual, delicious and healthy. We started by sharing the cauliflower appetizer, steamed cauliflower with aioli and capers which made for a beautifully balanced flavor when taking a bit of each at once. Then we each had a burger - the spicy gluten free bean burger for me which was again beautifully balanced and the MOB burger ( mushroom and eggplant) for my friend, which she loved. We had the spicy potato wedges which were a delight.

The service was friendly and attentive and all we are both stuffed, happy and looking forward to coming back some day.

Pros: delicious, healthy, unusual
Buddhahorn
Buddhahorn

Macaroni blew my mind!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2015

Came here with my wife. We had the macaroni, the Deluxe Cheeseburger, and Tapioca pudding. Everything was delicious but the macaroni really stood out as an amazing dish. Also very nice service and vibe.

slo0go
slo0go

Worst service and way overpriced. Don't bother.

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2015

We went here after seeing a show in Prospect Park over the summer. We chose this place because we had heard good things about it from other people and from the Happy Cow reviews. Of course, we checked Happy Cow before going, to make sure they were open.

It was only close to 9 or 10 pm (I don't remember exactly what time, but it was clearly not anytime close to the midnight closing time listed on Happy Cow), but the waitress was incredibly rude to us. She completely ignored us for a long time, then told us that the restaurant was closing for the night, and that we could order food, but we couldn't sit in the restaurant to eat the food. You should know that when she said this, the restaurant was still full of people eating their dinners. It was a Saturday night, for Chrissakes! We argued with her a little bit over it, and she seemed somewhat apologetic (but not really). We ultimately conceded to order out.

I distinctly remember walking out of the restaurant with our food, passing all the people still dining there and thinking, for the amount of money we just dropped on three vegan burgers, these had better be the best vegan burgers ever. They were not. As we sat on the stoop of the building next to the restaurant and ate our burgers in the dark, I can tell you that I was extremely disappointed. The portions were small, and just - not good. For the amount of money they charge, I was expecting something special, but MOB did not deliver.

Cons: Bad service, Small portions, Meh food
slithers
slithers

Funky

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

This place has a funky decor, except what is with the hipster Native American statue with [apparently] real feathers in its headdress? I generally do not expect animal parts as decor in a vegan place!

Other than the discomfitting statue, the service was fine, there is a nice outdoor patio, the food came reasonably fast and the brunch/regular menu options were interesting and atypical.

Taste-wise, I had one of the savory MOBs which was a little like a pizza (cashew cheese) and my partner had the grits with shitake sausage [see picture attached to this listing]. She was not fond of hers (too much smoke flavor), but I thought it was OK. The MOB I had was tasty but didn't blow me away.

I would give this 4 stars for food, but the hipster statue (native appropriation + animal use) deducts one star for me.

[For the record, I ate here for Saturday brunch on Apr. 26th - late review]

Pros: interesting, varied menu, food comes quickly, outdoor patio for nice weather
Cons: feathered headdress on statue
steveveg
steveveg

Creative vegan choice

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

We had dinner and chose the MOB Burger, MOB Dog and Baked Artichoke Macaroni. The flavors were fine and the dishes were creative. I felt the portions were skimpy for the price though. We had the torte and cheesecake for dessert. I was still a bit hungry afterwards.

The 4 big farmer tables were interesting. When the restaurant is not crowded though, as when I visited, everyone spreads out, and the effect is as if each group were eating separately so there is no communal aspect to the dining.

Pros: Creartive
Cons: skimpy portions for the price
jrm212
jrm212

fun time, good food...but ??

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

hopefully they extend the offerings; as of now, the menu doesn't really fit the place. it's a sort of space you wanna go and share a fun meal w/ friends. but the food is quick-eating kind of stuff. and with a limited menu, it doesn't bring on excitement to go back and try something different off the menu. and though it's touted to be uber-healthy, it's very carb-heavy. more green veggies would be welcome. will definitely go back (especially for the garden in nice weather!), it just wouldn't be my go-to place.

Azang
Azang

fun and cool place

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2013

This is a fun dining experience. The farmhouse tables, comic book menus and chalkboard wall art give this place a real hipster vibe. Menu is creative and kosher. Not too many salad options but people come to try their MOBs (made in Brooklyn) pizza. I've been there multiple times and will keep coming back. Also instead of bread on the table there are lake chips. Nice touch!

Pros: fun, delicious, creative
changoamable
changoamable

Unusual, reasonable, and good!

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2012

We had the mushroom and pea nuggets, corn soup, and yuca fries, all of which were pretty delicious. Then we had two MOBs (boat-shaped kind of pizza crusts topped with various stuff) , the Iron Man (greens, mushroom and alot of aioli) and the Belly Charmer (tagine of eggplant, carrot, and pistachios). Both were good, but the Iron Man was the standout - rich and flavorful, if almost impossible to bite for all the greens.
The space is large and bright, with four communal tables. Very nice. The servers wear smocks that make them look like cult initiates. A comic book which describes very little of anything comes with the menu. The MOBs come on a big metal Brooklyn bridge shaped platter, each sitting in its arched slot. You push your MOB off onto another empty plate, and eat it. Can't figure out what's up with the metal platter. Your utensils are in little drawers under the table, zealously bound in rubber bands. The check comes closed in a little can. The to go containers are just perfectly engineered to fit a MOB, and fit into the paper bag that comes with them perfectly. Its a little precious.
Will try for the take out in the future.
Oh, and there's honey in some items.

Pros: Delicious, Quick , Nice space
Cons: Precious, Over-engineered, Cult-like

Dear Owner and Manager of M.O.B. - Maimonide of Brooklyn: