Merit Vegetarian Restaurant

Asian/Vietnamese vegan restaurant with menu featuring dishes such as pho noodle soup, nuggets and mockmeat dishes, spicy garlic green beans, vermicelli with five-spice tofu, and more. Large space with many tables. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Chinese, Take-out, Catering, Banquet, Delivery

First Review by melanieg17

Fantastic

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2014

Great food, great service, and great vegan quotes on the wall from brilliant people. All vegan, all the time!

Pros: Excellent food, Fast and friendly service, BIG, all vegan menu

decent enough

3 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

the food is pretty good and the atmosphere is more like a traditional restaurant than the usual vegan cafe, which is a nice change. unfortunately the service sucks and they have they stream the Supreme Mater brainwashing on big screen TVs all over.

Pros: good grub, 100% vegan, lots of parking
Cons: service lags, slightly culty

Not Quite There

2 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

I've been twice. There is potential, but each time we've been, we've left disappointed. On the bright side, they have great selection. However, the flavor is weak.

My kids are life-long vegetarians, a choice we made out of compassion. So, imagine how horrible we all felt when the veggie chicken they served was molded to look just like a real chicken breast. It was revolting to look at and just a poor choice for a vegetarian restaurant. However, when I complained to the waitress, she just smiled, nodded, and walked away like she could care less. That made us vow to never return.

Pros: All veg
Cons: Too much fake meat, Made to look like meat, Lacks flavor

Vietnamese Veg and Woo Hoo.. Parking!

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

Kind of reminds me of the mass myriad of Vietnamese veg tofu houses we have in San Jose but a bit more Americanized. Regardless enjoyed my lunch and I'm all about anyone making tofu a hundred different ways.

Stopped in for a lunch special. Lemongrass tofu with bell peppers, lemongrass and onion with brown rice. The sauce itself was not indicative of a total lemongrass dish to me as was very brown but regardless, at least know what I am dealing with. Cant' wait to go in and try alot of other of their dishes. Bill with a diet soda was a bit over $10. Good deal:) About the location. Parking is easier to find in this bustling area of lunchtime crowds.

greasy

3 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

This was an okay Asian vegetarian place. We ordered the mixed vegetables, eggplant with tofu, spring rolls, and sweet potato curry to-go. The food was pretty greasy, but guess that's not unusual for Asian vegetarian restaurants. The spring rolls and the sweet potato curry were both pretty good. The eggplant with tofu was flavorful and I would've liked it more if it wasn't drenched in grease.

Oh, if you order takeout, make sure to ask for rice. We didn't know that none of the dishes came with rice, so had no rice to go with the food.

Cons: greasy

Love this place!

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

I am a vegan from NC that is in town a few days a week for business. I have made this restaurant my 'home base' away from home. Every thing on the menu is vegan friendly and tastes really great. The prices are reasonable and the service is great. I wish more restaurants would follow their format.

GREAT RESTAURANT with VARIETY

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

Wow! I must say this restaurant is well worthy. The menu
is quite impressive with so many vegan dishes to choose from.
After eating there many times, I really recommend you
to try out the Noodle, the Vietnamese Crepe, Spicy Lemonade Tofu. They are so yummy!!! This is healthy place to dine
while in Sunnyvale. I recommend it to everyone I know.
After years of eating unhealthy foods, I am switching
to healthy diet.
STRONGLY RECOMMEND!!

Pros: Great Foods, Convenient, Fast Service
Cons: Decent smile from waitress

terrible customer service

2 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

we ordered the fake chicken drumsticks. they came with terrible bad oil smell and had this awful meaty bbq flavor/smell. we took one bite and I realized I couldn't eat them. I asked why they smelled so bad of oil and if they reused the oil. they said they didn't and they wouldn't take it off the bill. I said fine and to give me my bill. I told the woman after i paid very nicely that when someone can't eat the food and it doesn't taste right, it's bad customer service to make them pay. It's the cost of having a restaurant that sometimes you lose a little money in the short term to gain a customer. If they would've said I'm so sorry, I'll take this off the bill - I would have tipped very well and eaten something else. Chinese ppl need to understand that customer service is a part of what a restaurant should do, esp. one that is trying to motivate people to become vegetarian..

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: no customer service, bad food, poor ambience

great food at a fair price

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

I'm never disappointed by anything I've tried here. my favorite is the Spicy Lemongrass Beef.

My favorite vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

I am a huge fan of Vietnamese vegetarian food and this place is one of my favorite. Great vegan pho and clay pot rice dishes. Decor is standard. Has the big flat screen TV that constantly plays the Supreme Master Ching Hai channel which is really not my cup of tea but I love their food so I guess it comes with the territory.

Pros: Great food, Nice staff, Reasonable price
Cons: Supreme Master Ching Hai TV

Kinda disappointed

2 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2010

We stopped in because of this website. The food was OK. But we will never go back because they were bordering on rude to us. We think they are racist. It's too bad. I think they like only white customers. Wierd, huh?

Pros: food ok
Cons: rude

My family's favourite restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2010

We initially found Merit by chance, since we were on the lookout for something else and got lost. But since that time, this has become a real favourite, even though it is a bit out of the way for us and there are lots of others closer by. The staff are always friendly. The ginger 'fish' with ginger sauce is stunning (though has once or twice been overdone); our little boy loves the 'chicken' drumsticks. The avocado smoothie alone is something to look forward to. Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, varied menu, friendly staff
Cons: location

Fabulous Veg Restaurant

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2008

The food there is exceptional -- especially the Wonton Vegetable Noodle Soup. It has a clear broth that is sublime -- alchemical in nature I think! The food here is delicious and really invigoratingly good for your health. They have TV with a message of spreading vegetarianism and care for animals and peace and love. This makes a lovely atmosphere for enjoying a meal. The staff are friendly and really appear to be interested in the bigger picture of what vegetarianism can mean for our future and our planet.

Pros: Delicious , Healthy, Friendly staff

They Passed!!

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

Well, they were super hospitable but that's common for first time owners and new business.
HOWEVER, they do pass for everything.
I usally go to many different Vegan Restaurants for particular dishes because they specialize in these particular dishes only. Merit passed all the different dishes I crave so it's a place I will be visiting quite often to satisfy and fullfill my needs, wants, demands, and cravings!

Pros: decor, ambience, food/service

Sunnyvale Treasure

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2008

This place was wonderful from the moment we walked in! The staff was very nice and answered all of our questions! The pho is pretty good, but the Gourmet Vegetable Noodle (broth on the side) is sensational! Definitely try the Crepe and the Lotus Salad, they are unbelievably tasty! My non-vegetarian family adored the caramelized chicken, exclaiming that they couldn't believe how good fake chicken could be! Through and through, everything was wonderful! The desserts are from a local vegan bakery in Santa Cruz: Black China. Even if you don't have room, you will regret not ordering one of the desserts! The coffee is very strong, but that's how it should be. Don't forget to ask for soy milk. Almost everything is vegan, but be sure to specify! Although it may be out of the way for some people, it is worth the trip, possibly the best veg*n Vietnamese in the Bay Area! Be sure to go as close to "off times" as possible, they are apparently always busy, and busiest during weekend evenings!

Pros: Food, Portions, Atmosphere
Cons: Deep fried tofu, Some dairy, Too popular!
Guest
Guest

Great new destination for Sunnyvale vegetarians

5 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2007

I had dinner with 4 at Merits. I was very happy with the quality, variety and service of this place. We had the dumplings. The ginger sauce that came with it was yummy; this was followed by a sumptuous sweet and sour soup. Great clear soup with lemon grass, tofu and other herbs. Our main course was JalapeƱo tofu and Spicy Garlic Green Bean. Both of these were delicious and filling.

Pros: friendly staff, creative menu, quick service

Merit Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

I've there several times and I'll be going there for more.I have never been disappointed and truly have enjoyed all their dishes. I've had Szechuan Pineapple Beef, Spicy Potato Curry, Mongolian Delight, Spicy Thai Rice, and their Vegan Thai Ice Tea plus Vegan German Chocolate Cake. They have all been delicious and I highly recommend this place. I've taken so many co-workers there and they too have been impressed. Enjoy!

Merit Vegetarian- What a Yummy Surprise!

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2007

My Mom told my sister and I that we had to try this new vegetarian restaurant by her house so we decided to go this past Friday. Everything we ordered was DELICIOUS! We ordered the Summer Rolls, Lotus Salad, Spicy Lemongrass Chicken (soy), Sauteed Jalapeno Tofu with Thai Soy Iced Teas (vegan) to drink. I took home the Spicy Noodle soup and tofu Potstickers for my fiance. I'm trying to wean him off eating so much red meat. He loved both of the dishes. He's not a huge fan of tofu but he said the potstickers were excellent! I think we all have found a new favorite healthy restaurant!

Dear Owner and Manager of Merit Vegetarian Restaurant: