Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant, bar, and beer garden. Several menu items are vegetarian and/or vegan. Relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Weekend brunch til 3pm. The kitchen stops serving food at midnight. Note: Reported that they don't have a dedicated veg fryer. Meat is fried in the same oil as anything you might order as "vegan. Please confirm and let HappyCow know. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2331 E Cumberland St (Memphis St)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19125

s144799
s144799

Amazing food

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

Very good veg food. Try the coconut club as it tastes like real bacon but is coconut slices

Pros: Good food
Cons: Can be noisy
ShantelPolchlopek
ShantelPolchlopek

Smoked Coconut Club

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

The smoked coconut club is amazing! I love this place for when I have meat-eating friends/family visiting because we all walk away full and happy. If you enjoy Blood Mary's, this is also your place. :)

Pros: Excellent food, Awesome service
Cons: Small seating area, Not ideal for larger groups
VeggieKristi
VeggieKristi

Love, love, love this place!

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

I live nearby, and I love coming here for a relaxed dinner! They have the most unpretentious atmosphere, with a great rotating beer menu. I have tried almost all of the veggie options on the menu, and have gone back to a few favorites several times. I love the fried pickles appetizer and the chicken fried portobello sandwich or the roasted mushroom grinder if I'm in the mood for bar food. For a nice dinner entrée, I suggest the couscous. And there's lots of other interesting things on the menu to keep your meat-eating friends happy too!

Pros: Lots of veggie choices, Great beer list

Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

Outstanding Veg Fare, Laid Back, Friendly

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

The Memphis Taproom, with its homey atmosphere, friendly, laid-back staff and excellent vegetarian/vegan options is my family's new favorite place. I've gone there with work friends to have a beer and a meal and with my son for an alcohol-free family dinner. The coconut club sandwich is incredible. Whoever is with me invariably eats a wedge of mine. The veggie burger is delicious - the texture is similar to a "real" burger and contains quinoa and other unique ingredients. The chicken-friend portobella sandwich is just as good. The prices are very reasonable, which helps in this econcomy.

The chef at the Memphis Taproom worked at the Blue Sage Grille on and off for years, so he knows his stuff. We'll be going back again soon.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, Great Value
Liam Wilson
Liam Wilson

Port-Fishington Diamond in the Rough

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

In the heart of a somewhat rapidly gentrifying area of Philadelphia, just a little further north than the Northern Liberties area lies the Memphis Taproom. A relatively modest corner bar/restaurant featuring some really great vegan options along side some truly tasty boutique-y beers served with a laid back swagger that's becoming a truly Philly signature.
To start, the Fried Okra are a nice option other than the typical hummus or fries (they also serve Hefeweisen Hummus which is pretty amazing as well). My favorite entree, the Coconut Club, is downright addictive and keeps me up at night craving it when I'm far from home. Its made with young thai coconut carmelized to mimic bacon - of anywhere in the world, this is my favorite bacon mock-up simply because it tastes fresh, not dried out like cardboard.
The weekend brunch usually has at least 2 or 3 vegan options, and some great hooegarden mimosas to wash it all down. Absolutely worth a visit.

Dear Owner and Manager of Memphis Taproom: