Madras Ananda Bhavan

Vegetarian restaurant specializes in South Indian cuisine. Lunch buffet with full menu for dinner. Aug 19, 2014 confirmed closed Monday. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Madidas
Tigra220
Tigra220

Not a Happy Camper...

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

There’s a sign on their front door warning/ advising customers that if they use a Groupon gratuity will be automatically added to their bill. I found that to be an odd and ostracizing thing to do, but at least they were upfront about it. Upon being seated, I informed them right away that I’d be using a Groupon. I advised the waiter that I was vegan and inquired about the menu items in which I was interested. He was knowledgeable, helpful, and very friendly.

Vegetable samosas ($3.50), were huge & very good. Crunchy & golden on the outside; savory & spicy on the inside. Their tamarind sauce is more tart than to what I am accustomed. It was ok, but I prefer a sweeter based tamarind.

I ordered Gobi Manchurian ($8.99). It was absolutely AMAZING! The cauliflower was perfectly crisp and that red sauce (not spicy) is so flavorful.

I ordered plain puri/poori ($2.99 for 2 pieces), which is a light bread (vegan). It was very good.

My dinner mate ordered naan ($2), and the server advised me not to eat it because it contains dairy.

Here’s where things to badly…
My non-vegan dinner mate ordered Saag Paneer ($10.99) and added aloo (potatoes). (Note to vegan’s who are not familiar with Indian cuisine: paneer = cheese, so this is not a vegan dish. If you’d like a spinach dish, inquire about them making a vegan version, like Aloo Saag with no dairy.) She really enjoyed her dish until she noticed a long piece of hair in her spoonful of saag. (She has very long & curly/wavy hair, so it was definitely not her own hair.) I called over the owner and pointed out the snafu. He apologized profusely, promptly took away the tainted food, and brought her a new dish with new naan.

Our dishes were served with plain, dry instant white rice. A far cry from the moist, fluffy, herb-infused, flavor-bursting basmati rice that I’m used to. Very disappointing!

Pitchers of water were sitting on each table, even the unoccupied ones. I like having a pitcher of water at the table, however, with that pesky nat and anything else flying around, I did not like that the water had just been sitting there for who knows how long (long enough that the ice melted). Just bring out the pitcher once the customer arrives.

The bill came and there were 0 concessions for the hair situation. I did not ask, but as a customer service gesture, that dish should’ve been removed from my bill. Despite the excellent Gobi Manchurian & the friendly smiles, that was a deal-breaker. I have no plans to return.

Pros: excellent Gobi Manchurian
Cons: HAIR in the food! Bad cust svc skills, water pitchers sitting out uncovered, Groupon customers treated differently
misplacedyank
misplacedyank

We are already planning a return visit

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2014

Yesterday was our first visit to MAB and we will definitely be returning. Although we have had Indian food before, this was our first visit to a restaurant specializing in this fare. What the place was lacking in atmosphere it made up for in cleanliness, service and, most importantly, the food. My wife and I each had different appetizers and main courses. All four of our selections were well prepared, nicely presented and delicious. The curries were spicy without being over powering and the garlic naan was also perfectly seasoned! Our only complaint is that there was no option for brown rice. The rice served tasted like instant rice, not even long cooked rice.

Pros: Service, Food
Cons: White Rice
radtechg9
radtechg9

Great Friendly Service

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I live right by this place but had never known what to order as I was not Indian food experienced! I finally stopped in and had a great experience. Service was super attentive, menu very descriptive. I ordered onion nan and a potato and cauliflower curry that had sort of a tomato sauce (I ordered mine mild). Food was simply fantastic and was enough for two meals for me as it came with rice as well. Previous to my visit here Nan had been the only Indian food I had ever eaten and this was the best onion nan I've ever had.

Pros: Food, Service, Big Portions

Madidas
Madidas

Wonderful all vegetarian Indian cuisine!

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

I went to MAB with a groupon...I'm a foodie and sometimes I'm a bit hesitant to try some place new. I had the Beingan Bartha which the waiter said was his favorite dish. Let me just say, my boyfriend was SUPER JELLY!! It was fantastic! I'm drooling just thinking of it.

We also got a couple appetizers, garlic naan and the hot Indian tea. It was all so delicious, we left very satisfied. I've heard good things about their lunch buffet too. I'm not one to go to a buffet but this one is definitely making it on our rounds for dinner.

M

Pros: All Vegetarian, Delicious, Good Service
Cons: Could have a more warm atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Madras Ananda Bhavan: