Kingsland. Healthy Vegan Re...

Kingsland's menu features a range of vegetables, tofu, soy seafood and soy meat dishes, some crunchy entrees and ice cream desserts. Dishes are served with more salad and vegetables. Live music and karaoke occasionally, suitable for party function up to 70 persons. High chairs provided for children. Located in Canberra Chinatown area, under current ownership since Apr 2010. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Asian, Chinese, Western

vegelover
vegelover

Disappointing Vegetarian Meals

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

Recently to Canberra, so went to try out very famous Kingsland (went there many years ago was good). Ordered Hokkien Noodle and Flat Noodle(Char Keow Teow)....so much pepper and had ? ginger in both dishes. Flat noodles still stuck together. Does not taste like Hokkien Noddle & Char Keow Teow at all. Staff very friendly.

Pros: Easy to find, Staff friendly, Easy car park
Cons: Disappointing meals
Milnesco
Milnesco

quality fit for a king

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

Kingsland is a favourite for quality food

Pros: food quality
claireberry beret
claireberry beret

Best

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

My boyfriend and I go here for dinner at least once a week! Its a haven for people who like a quiet, fast, delicious vegan meal!! The people who work there are so beautiful, I had my 21st birthday dinner there, it was perfect and everyone was so full and were so supprised at just what you can do with vegan food! I ended up hugging all the chefs and they stayed open late for us! I have never had a bad experience there even before the new management! THANK YOU KINGSLAND!!

RalphHM
RalphHM
  • herbivore

Excellent

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

The Kingsland Restaurant is without doubt a Master of Vegan Food.I actually had to ask the waiter twice if the Beef Rendang was actually vegetarian, and was stunned to find out it was. The fish dish was outstanding! We had the B Banquet with many courses and all 4 of us left full and satisfied, and they even gave us Jasmine Tea for free, all for $68! No I do not work for the owners, I'm just letting the public know, this restaurant is a winner!

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, healthy food
Cons: Should look like a Buddhist temple
Happykoala
Happykoala

My favourite restaurant

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

I went with a group of friends last night and we were all blown away by the variety of flavours. I helped my friends choose some of the dishes and they wouldn't stop mmmm'ing including a meat eater who went into the kitchen after dessert to thank the chef! I hope ShelA goes again, and tries something else. The freshness of the vege's is undeniable. There were plenty of fresh veges for us to enjoy and it showed in the colourful presentation. Can't wait to go back next week (my plan) with my boyfriend.

Pros: Scrumptiousness factor, fresh colourful dishes, freindly, considerate staff
Cons: website not updated
ShelA
ShelA

Choose Carefully

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

We recently went to Kingsland for dinner and came away very disappointed. The dishes we chose were, unfortunately, overly oily with very little vegetable content. We'll give it another go, but not in a hurry.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Too oily, Not enough vegetable options, Service so quick dishes were cold in places
mmang0
mmang0

Love this place!

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

We come about once a week, its great!
The owner is the sweetest lady you'll ever meet. Once we came in after it was supposed to be close (didn't realise). Even though she'd sent home the chef already she told us she'd cook for us because "there's not enough places to eat for vegetarians in canberra". In summary: go there, its awesome

Michel Vert
Michel Vert

Getting better and better...

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2010

Great food with new dishes coming out almost every time I go now. I love the new flat noodle gravy with vegetables and duck - an absolute taste sensation. The noodles are smooth and have a slight smoky taste and contrast perfectly with the crispy fried duck with fresh snow peas and other fresh vegetables fried just past crisp to round off the dish in style. This restaurant seems quite experimental and interesting. The new decor is modern and clean and provides a relaxing ambience. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Other outstanding dishes include 'Fresh spring parcels' and 'mushroom stem' (just ask for no chili if you cannot stand the "heat"). I am in suspense to see what the menu will reveal next time I visit...

birdcage_al
birdcage_al

yumyum

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

i've been coming to kingsland since living in canberra during early 2000's. back then, i visited waaay too often and sampled most of the menu, several times. i've since left canberra, and upon every returning visit i've gone back to kingsland.

this visit has seen new management change just recently - the new owner is lovely, very friendly + a cup of green tea while awaiting my takeaway. apparently the decor has changed, though my memory doesn't serve well as to what it looked like last time. now it's tiled, clean looking - personally it's not to my taste, i prefer 'warmer' restaruants, cosier - but then i don't come here for the decor.

the food, is where its at.

it's great, really exceptional, and that hasn't changed over the years. i've been to a lot of vege places around the world + still, very little surpasses kingsland. i enjoy the mock meat, that's their speciality. i've taken countless meat eaters there, and they still discuss their visit to this date, amazed at how great it was.

this visit i took the roast duck and honey chicken. both were very good. the roast duck has definitely improved since my visit years ago, when it was very dry and crusty on the edges. this time it was back to good form.

price wise; they have mid week discounts. i'm visiting from london, so out of touch with current prices - my mains were $13 each and yes, i thought this was a little steep. but then again i'm not familiar with the competition AND i don't mind paying knowing the food is exceptional.

so lots of positives; from someone who is typically very critical! and this is honestly the only place i've continued visiting for 10 years!!

Pros: mock meat yummmm, service - fantastic
Cons: not the cheapest
MrHappy
MrHappy

Kingsland now has new owners. Great improvements!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

Kingsland has now changed owners and the benefits are already obvious!

On entry, the fresh new look is immediately evident, with the old carpets replaced by sparkling clean tiles, walls painted in subtle tones, and decor simplified and updated. A much more contemporary and hygienic theme is the first notable difference.

Service is the second obvious benefit with new owners - current staff are courteous and quick to offer friendly service. Green tea was poured before we had even seen the menus, and was of no charge (including refills throughout the evening).

Whilst the menu choices have not changed, two positive points must be made:

1) Prices have been dramatically reduced on all counts, main meals and entrees! Further discounts apply on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with reductions of additional to 20% total bill. This is very good news and encourages hungry diners to experiment with new dishes, knowing the total bill will still be very affordable.

2) Dishes are still accurate to menu descriptions but have been modified to be healthier, fresher and tastier than before! Gone is the too-salty and intense flavours of the previous menu set. Replaced by ripe tasty side salads/garnishes, generous servings of sauces/condiments for entrees, and well balanced main meals with plenty of unique flavours for each dish.

Dishes came out of the kitchen quickly, and nice and hot, with fried goods showing the signs of good clean oil and correct frying temperatures. No soggy oily dishes to be found here! Just crispy, light textures. The spring rolls were a very pleasant surprise in this regard.

It will be interesting to observe the changes in the dishes over the coming months (hopefully years) to see if the chefs develop more of their own style under this new management, and update the menus to reflect their own specialty dishes.

With the recent closure of the southside Tuggeranong 'Vegetarian House' restaurant, the fresh approach of the new "Kingsland" restaurant comes with perfect timing to help boost Canberra's very small Vegetarian Restaurant scene.

Pros: Fresh and clean atmosphere, Great prices, New flavours
Cons: Needs more vegetables in fried dishes, No ambient music

Dear Owner and Manager of Kingsland. Healthy Vegan Restaurant:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Canberra page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/09/22