CLOSED: Holy Donuts!

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some dairy and egg free, gluten free handcrafted doughnuts and baked goods. Also serves pies, ice cream, savories, soups, and sandwiches. Entrance is on Willamette, next to the Eugene Mail Box Center. Reported to HappyCow to no longer be open to the public. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Non-veg
1437 Willamette St
Eugene, Oregon 97401
541-510-6635

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Foodstarr
MariaG
MariaG

Not Gluten Free!

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

I went to Holy Donuts after I heard they had gluten free donuts. When I asked how they cooked the donuts I was told they use the same equipment and oil as the other donuts. This makes them not safe for people with Celiac disease or other serious gluten allergies. The people I spoke with at Holy Donuts didn't seem to think this was a big deal and laughed at me. If this how they treat their gluten free customers, I wouldn't trust them to be vegan either..

Pros: local
Cons: not gluten free, could make a lot of people ill, false advertising
  • ohshnapper ohshnapper

I would like to be very clear here. We Purposely Display any and all Gluten Free items on the top shelf in a case with other items that are made with wheat.We do this because it is a visual deterrent for those who would suffer from wheat intake. Our GF Baked Goods are for the Gluten Intolerant . If we were providing them for people with Celiacs we would not be selling any thing with wheat in our case or bakery. We are preventative and extra cautious when selling any of our Gluten Free items. Many of us at the Bakery are Gluten Intolerant. we understand the excitement and disappointments that come along with allergies and illness. We are sorry we were unable to serve you a donut. We were up front and honest with you. As I said, at this time any products we serve are made in a kitchen that contains wheat. Our Customers who purchase any GF item are also told" if you send any Gf friends in please let them know our facility contains wheat " I could see you were very disappointed having to leave without a donut. i would love to have another facility in the future dedicated to being wheat free.

• MariaG MariaG

You need to educate yourself, because this is deadly serious. If you advertise something as Gluten Free, it is expected to be Gluten Free! Displaying "gluten free" items in the same case does risk cross-contamination, but cooking them in the same oil GUARANTEES they are not gluten free. You are knowingly lying to people and making them sick, for profit. If you continue this practice, I wouldn't be surprised if you were sued.

• kindlizard kindlizard

You should change the term from "gluten-free" to "made with gluten-free ingredients" or "with [whatever] flour". Just like your "vegan" donuts are fried w the bacon for your donuts and cross-contaminated as such in your shop. I tried to ask you about those privately and you refused to respond, only to tell the webmaster I was unfair?! The message won't reach these owners, they try to profit on the hot terms like gluten-free and vegan when they really aren't (sadly).

Maria, if I ever find a vegan & g-f donut recipe I will post it here and pm it to you.

S1ghk0mantiz
S1ghk0mantiz

Great Doughnuts

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

I have been in only for the Doughnuts but the atmosphere was great, I loved the food and I love the little garden vibe. Great option for Veggie/Vegan folks who like sweets

Pros: Great Atmosphere, Cozy
Cons: *, *
kindlizard
kindlizard

a meaty bakery

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

Holy Donuts started by selling vegan donuts to outlets (HF stores) before they got their shop. However, upon opening their shop, it was disheartening, even disgusting, to see meat all over this place, and very limited vegan options. The momentum the community supported this place with was for vegan food and ideals.

We were so excited when it opened but could not have been more appalled and disgusted at the condition. I rarely mention sanitation in reviews, but I wonder if their food handlers all have cards, if the health inspectors have come bc when I was there I saw too many things disregarded, sorry to say. The person behind the counter was eating fast food burgers and didn't wash her hands until we told her to do so, surprisingly, the manager was there and did not suggest the same. Gross and disgusting, the service there was nonchalant and ignorant of what vegan means.

It is a crying shame this place serves so much meat! They built their rep by being vegan donuts, yet that is far from what they are about. They are seemingly about whatever sells, and vegan donuts being a niche they did that. Now that Voodoo is in town less so, and I suppose they feel a niche is served by killing animals like every other place in that area. Ask folks on the street, they would tell you it is a vegan joint, but far far away from Truth that is. Pig covered donuts, chicken and cow slain animal entrees, yet we could not get anything other than donuts as vegans is the very sad and pathetic truth.

Bakeries should only be listed, imo, if they are all vegan or at least veg. I was beyond grossed out by the place, and don't even buy their donuts at retail outlets any longer. Slippery slope regarding listing a place like this. A vegan donut makes not one veg-friendly said the dead piggie.

NOT recommended.

This page is hijacked by Facebook spammers. They are asking their FB followers to spam this board. That is so contrary to what Happycow is about. You want an honest Happycow review, not just their friends who just joined today, avoid this place and their donuts at HF stores.

Cons: A lot of meat, dirty staff, no vegan options
  • S1ghk0mantiz S1ghk0mantiz

They actually offer plenty of Vegan option this review is Incorrect about that and many other things :)

• kindlizard kindlizard

The following is from their "website"/fb page. Its the lunch menu for today, just so you see the ratio of meat to veg items, the one veg item is not vegan. From there, they may delete it as they did their call to spam this board: Lunch Special: BLT with Mrs.Nunley's Potato Salad $ 5.50
    Also serving.Tuna Salad,Chicken Salad,Spanikopita, Curly Kale Salad:Kale,Carrots,Hazelnuts,Raisins ,Feta,Basil,Olive Oil and Balsamic "i love this salad!" so fish, pig (always pig) and bird... I don't think this is as "veg-friendly" as it seems...

• kindlizard kindlizard

Wanna hear something funny? Per their Facebook: "Our donuts are cholesterol & trans-fat free." Maybe someone should tell them about bacon and its "nutritional value".

• kindlizard kindlizard

In the heading it says "dairy and egg free". How's that? Quiche? Pizza? I don't think that is accurate, plus its misleading. I hate when places advertise a vegan element but a far from it. Despite what the owner posted on FB, I have never met her, nor am I the person she thinks I am. Give the other person a break, I am just a random vegan to you who saw atrocious things from your server, you and your abundance of meat. Those who came to your defense are not vegan and they come for your bacon gravy. can you get that on a salad?

buns
buns

Above and Beyond!

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

Love love love Holy Donuts! They're probably my favorite dessert shop in Eugene, so delicious! My favorite is the chocolate creme filled with their amazing vegan chocolate pudding! To die for!

Their service is outstanding, always friendly and they go above and beyond to please their customers. They only accept cash or check at this time (no complaints there since credit card companies charge businesses individual and percentage fees on every purchase we make with our cards) but I have witnessed them offer free donuts to customers who only had a debit card and I have been given donuts on the honor system when I forgot to bring cash. They carry mostly vegan and vegetarian donuts as well as some gluten free. They even removed soy from their gluten free products when a customer expressed intolerance to gluten and soy. Like I said, above and beyond.

I love the decor including the "holy gate" entrance, their cozy secluded courtyard area with cloud mural, and the adorable vintage dishes the donuts are served on! 5 stars all the way around!

Pros: delicious food!, super friendly service!, vegan, veggie, gluten/soy free options
galactikcat
galactikcat

Great Donuts!

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

I love Holy Donuts, especially the ones at the main shop, they're so delicious! The shop is cute and comfy too. I love the unusual flavors and the fact that it's all organic. I've always gotten friendly service. This is a unique Eugene treasure!

Pros: Organic, Delicious, Friendly
Foodstarr
Foodstarr

Wide variety of sweets and savories for everyone

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

So many options for breakfast and lunch. Everything I've tried has been very tasty. Love the vegetarian breakfast hand pies. Now that the weather is getting nice, I'll look forward to visiting again and enjoying the outdoor area.

Pros: Variety, Friendly staff, Good value

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Holy Donuts!: