CLOSED: Green Wok

Opened summer 2009, this Asian food restaurant offers an extensive menu with most dishes featuring vegetable along with a type of faux meat (vege beef, vege chicken, vege shrimp, etc.). Offers a cheap all-you-can-eat lunch buffet on weekdays. Has veggie sushi. Reported closed to HappyCow, Feb 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Strawberrypickle
Assafm
Assafm

great food terrible service

3 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

Second time we eat here. Nice option if you are looking for healthy vegan food
But the food isn't good as loving hut or sweet lemon.
Especially if you take the service into account

kimhester
kimhester

Astounding Cuisine

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

The food and cooking are amazing. All vegans have got to give this place a try for its appeal to taste buds. Maybe the best vegan restaurant in Portland. Be sure to try the shrimp appetizer and the sweet and sour chicken (mock shrimp and chicken, of course.

Pros: Astounding cuisine, Efficient and friendly service, Large selection of dishes
RaymondJenkins
RaymondJenkins

Great food.

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2012

My wife and I visit Portland every few months and we try and visit a new restaurant each time. This time we decided to try the Green Wok and we were very pleasantly surprised. The food was absolutely amazing. The only real complaint is that a lot of the food was fried but it is Chinese fare so that is to be expected. Loved it and will return again in the future.

Pros: great taste, nice atmosphere
Cons: lots of fried choices

BrianMangus
BrianMangus

Excellent Find

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

While out on some errands, my wife and myself discovered this great restaurant. First of all, everything about this restaurant was very enjoyable. The menu has a great number of dishes available for ordering. We even learned that they can adjust the order if you happen to be looking for Gluten free eating. The quality of the food was excellent. From the Spring Rolls to our orders of Vegetarian Pork Fried Rice and Vegetarian Chicken Chow Mein, it was all so good.
The staff is very friendly and very knowledgeable about our lifestyle as vegans. They even gave us recommendations on other places to shop at if we are able. This restaurant is one of our favorites now. We will be making a point to visit again when we are in the area.

Pros: Excellent Food, Awesome Staff, Great Value
nzlndr00
nzlndr00

Green Wok rocks my world

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

For a meeting, some friends and I decided to grab dinner to go from here.

I have only ever eaten at Green Wok one other time but remembered enjoying it. Since it was a to go order I can not comment on the ambiance or service this time around.

However, my spicy tuna roll, and california roll were awesome! I am so excited to have vegan sushi! I love making it too of course (roll, baby, roll). I remember the last time I was there I ordered the crab rangoons (a long time favorite) and thoroughly enjoyed their version so, I ordered it again.

As I was finding my sushi rolls I realized that the crab rangoons had not made it to the meeting. After our meeting I called to let them know and see if we had been charged for it or if it had been left on the counter. The guy on the phone said that it looked like we had in fact been charged for the rangoons, and would not only replace the batch I never got but throw in another batch for the trouble of having to go back to get them. They are that good!

As if the evening couldn't get any better, my fortune cookie read "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence (in bed)."

I will be back...

Pros: Tasty Food, Variety, Vegan Sushi!
Cons: Not close in, Rice not always included, Orders not always complete
arnoldgirl613
arnoldgirl613

Love this place!

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

One of my very favorite vegan restaurants! I love the buffet and they have superb sushi. The owner is a great person. Prices are great too! But let's not forget about the taste! Everything--- tastes better than a 'real' chinese restaurant. I just really love the taste of their food. I do wish they had dessert on the buffet, even if they charged a little more for it. I have a bad sweet tooth after I stuff my face with delicious vegan food.

Pros: Taste, Price
Cons: No dessert on buffet
Chia
Chia

Green Wok

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Green Wok review.

I didn't find the restaurant at their usual location. I found their booth at Portland's annual VegFest, at the Convention Center.

The staff was offering several sample sizes of their dishes, including a soft tofu in a sweet and sour sauce(very good), a kung pao beef (salty and not so interesting to me), and orange flavor vege chicken (that my friend's daughter loved).

The staff running this operation was a friendly Asian family. I would definitely try the food from Green Wok again.

KurtS
KurtS

Sorry, but yuck

2 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

Not sure where all these positive reviews are coming from, as we had a very different experience. Here's a copy of a review I previously made last year:

Yuck. And I'm being generous. We were all geeked on finding this vegan/veggie Chinese restaurant. But were sorely disappointed. We were the only ones there, asked for recommendations, and opted to order take-out. We focused on the "meat" dishes. The food all tasted the same -- and not good at that. Kinda like they used the same sauce for everything with just very minor alterations. We ended up tossing half of it away as it was just that unappetizing.

Vegetarian/vegan can be made so good, and there is so much potential with Chinese and Asian cuisines... so there is just no excuse for their unimaginative, boring, bland food.

nonyabusnus
nonyabusnus

amazing value & taste

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

$19.50 for 3 buffetts. Tempura fried summer squash; eggplant & potatoe& faux meat; chow mein; fried rice; water chestnuts veggies sauce tofu; teriyaki faux meat w/ veggies; steamed vegtables w/ sauce; sweet & sour faux meat; amazing soup; spring rolls; fried strips(some breadish thing) all for $6.50 before 2:30pm. Definately 5 stars

Pros: price, taste, awesome server
Cons: not a con (only 9mi s portland)
celynki
celynki

Family-Run Vegan Chinese

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

It's heavy, standard vegan Chinese food, and sometimes that is perfect, right? I really liked the staff as well--super nice. I would prefer to give it 3 1/2 cows.

Pros: heavy greasy Chinese, great staff
Cons: heavy greasy Chinese!
sweetbean
sweetbean

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2010

My father is Chinese. I grew up in the Chinese/American restaurant business.

The food is great -- we ate there several times during our one-week vacation, and everyone was pleased, including our three-year-old son. Especially notable: "beef" and shiitake mushrooms, "beef" and broccoli. My son's favorite, "ham" lo mein.

The staff was very friendly, everything was great. I have nothing negative to report, except for the desire that I had access to this restaurant in Florida.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Petesternz
Petesternz

Guess I had a different view...

3 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

Hate to be a downer, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I went to Green Wok with high expectations, and got back some pretty average fare. The orange chicken was OK, but not nearly spicy enough for its type, and the orange peels were burnt rather than well done. The sauteed broccoli was cold and not at all interesting, and the sweet and sour chicken was boring. Hardly a great example of what Asian vegan cooking should be about, and certainly not Portland's best option (Bay Leaf was a much better call)

Pros: good value
mokld
mokld

EXCELLENT / AWESOME

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

EXCELLENT / AWESOME vegetarian food... 1st time ever feel the "Wok Feel" sine 1999. If you are a Chinese, you know what I talk about. I had the Tofu hotpot, Fry eggplant and sizzling veggie chicken ...I definitely will go again.

AmeliaArwen
AmeliaArwen

Magnificent.

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

My experience at the Green Wok was simply delightful. Their staff was quick, friendly, and helpful. The food was to die for. The atmosphere was nice. And the food! My goodness the food was extraordinary. You get amazing amounts of quality food for relatively cheap. Might I recommend the Lemon Chicken?

Pros: Excellent food, Good Service, Friendly Staff
Humanicide
Humanicide

Good, but a carbon copy

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

Went here, really excited, and once upon receiving the menu, that this place has the EXACT SAME dishes, give or take 2 or 3 as The Vegetarian House, minus the supreme master kult bull. I was honestly a little that it was the same menu and drove so far, but I think their foods a little better than the Vegetarian House's, even though it's the same menu. It's about a dollar cheaper than there, but a way out of the way if you live on the east or north side of portland.

Fortune Cookies, however are not vegan. Whey and Milk, booooboo

Pros: cheaper than vegetarian house, Not supreme master, friendly staff
Cons: far, same menu as vegetarian house, fortune cookies
LilTeaPot
LilTeaPot

Pleasantly Surprised!!

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2009

A GOOD veg. Chinese buffet..Exactly what I've been wishing for! The green wok had nice attentive staff,attractive decor(the tables are beautiful),close location(near Pcc Sylvania),and EXCELLENT food! We were a party of 3 and we all had the $6.50 lunch buffet. The food was all fresh,it wasn't salty,even the fried tempura yams and mushrooms weren't greasy,everything was flavorful and authentic,they had a nice assortment.
My mom who isn't a vegetarian loved it as well.
Can't wait to go back and try more dishes!

Pros: excellent food, big menu, rotating choices at the buffet
Cons: Non-buffet prices around $11 a dish, Didn't want to stop eating it ;)
Strawberrypickle
Strawberrypickle

If you love Vegetarian House, try Green Wok!!

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

The food here is absolutely amazing - it is so well worth the drive out there! The staff is courteous, and the BEST part is how down to Earth they are. The greet you and make you feel like you're actually welcome there, as opposed to feeling like you just committed some party foul. The prices are very reasonable. Never very crowded, I don't think anyone really knows about this place which works well for us, no reservations needed. :)

Pros: GREAT FOOD, COOL STAFF, GOOD PRICES
Cons: A SMALL TREK BUT WORTH IT, EASY TO OVER EAT