Good Karma Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Established spring 2012 as a vegetarian cafe but has added meat to its menu Mar 2014. Location is next to Amtrak Exeter statio. Offers fresh baked goods and raw desserts, salads and entrees, smoothies and fresh juices, locally-made burger and sausage. Sources organic ingredients whenever possible. Has wi-fi, hosts events, and an infrared sauna for rent. Upstairs is a community room. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Fusion, Raw, Bakery, Non-veg
56 Lincoln St
Exeter, New Hampshire 03833
603-772-7488

Open Mon-Thur 6:30am-8pm, Fri-Sat 6:30am-10pm, Sun 8am-4pm.

First Review by EmilyGRose
TumeriaVLanglois
TumeriaVLanglois

No Good Karma at Good Karma Cafe

1 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

We used to love this place and would go there anytime we were in NH. We had heard that the ownership had changed but decided to go anyway. The minute we entered the building we felt the shift in energy. It used to be so peaceful and relaxing there. As we took a menu to order we saw menu listings for chicken, beef and other animal foods among the vegan options! This cafe originally was all vegan/vegetarian. The girl at the register assured us that they used a separate grill to cook the vegan food, so we sadly ordered. We were almost finished with our meal when the smell of cooking animal flesh filled the entire cafe. This place is small and the the odors from the kitchen are strong. I almost vomited. I grabbed my smoothie and we left- never to return. My husband had ordered the tempeh BLT. He said he felt congested afterwards and wasn't sure that it was actually vegan. We went to "Good" Karma's Facebook page and saw that the new owner, Ed, was insulting vegans on the page as many vegans were upset that they now offered meat.

Pros: Still offers vegan food
Cons: Now offers animal flesh and secretions , Owner bashes vegans on his Facebook page, The smell of cooking meat fills the cafe
igor6200
igor6200

Careful: You might not be eating vegan

1 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

While there may be vegan options left on the menu, when I first went to Good Karma Cafe the owners talked to me about how they were really on board to spreading the vegan message. Last time I went, I hadn't realized that they switched, and the sandwich I ordered had egg in the bread.
It appears they are on the slippery slope to a generic local restaurant with vegan options. They now offer omelets, and I have heard rumors of meat being included to the menu. The owner seems to make it a point to talk about financial issues, an argument which, to me, seems to against the ethical aspect of a once vegan institution.

They have some good tasting vegan options, just be very clear about what you want. It isn't the friendliest vegan place I have been to.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 11, 2014

Pros: Good vegan nacho cheese
Cons: Milk, cheese, (meat?), Accidental intake of animal products
ExeterLocal
ExeterLocal

Not Vegan Friendly

2 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

Don't let them fool you. Here's a recent Good Karma Cafe Facebook post:

Good Karma goodness is increasing! Some great new staff and the energy the last two days has been AMAZING resulting in some great food and ideas.
...
The gentleman from Comcast loved the Reuben after he did an install at GKC and he LOVED it! Another carnivore who loves GKC no meat menu and best selection of vegan (ooppps...we don't like the "V" word!!!) food in NH!

"We don't like the "v" word..."

There's been a recent change in the ownership. The current owner will casually discuss his last *veal* meal with you, so they do like the "v" word, its just not vegan...

No exaggeration or misrepresentations here boys and girls. Just witnessing.

Pros: Food is mostly local and organic
Cons: pricey, small portions, long waits
  • EdDoris EdDoris

I am the owner of Good Karma Cafe...Ed Doris. As of today our sales reflect that we have sold 99% vegan food over the last 12 months. How is this not vegan friendly? The post mentioned an ownership change that changed the food and makes us not vegan friendly. 99% vegan over 12 months. From day one, my mission was to help the ordinary American enjoy real food. By June (1 year in business) we were basically out of business. Another vegan restaurant caput! Operationally we were a mess. Go in with a passion, but the nuts and bolts keep you in business. I had already invested a vast amount of money and time up to this point. I decided to personally step and run the café. And now I needed to commit more time and money so I can continue serving healthy food. Should I do it or go back to my comfortable life of a successful business and the ability to vacation anywhere I want at anytime? I decided to reinvest more $ and time (18 hour days at times). I explained to my boys what I wanted to do and they would have to sacrifice a little more. They supported me. We are going more vegetarian so more vegan friends can bring family and friends who want those products. Since June, we have really made progress and since September things are really looking good. We have turned the corner. So, thank you to our vegan friends who have stuck by our side. Your commitment to us has increased the number of regular Americans that are eating less meat and dairy. Thank you for bringing your meat eating friends to me so I can tell them I am a meat eater too, but I love vegan food and that my body now craves vegan food more and more. I tell them your meal is free if you don’t like it…and they always like it! These vegans are really helping the vegan cause by bringing their friend and family to us. I salute all you wonderful Good Karma Ambassadors. You choke me up often with your love and support…be well!

JohnnyD
JohnnyD

Vegan Paradise!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

I finally made it to Good Karma and found that it was everything I hoped it would be! There is an amazing variety of vegan food, all prepared to order by folks who really care about quality and nutrition. Although it is not cheap, given the quality of the food, it is reasonable and well worth it. The menu offering are varied and very tasty-even omnivores will find them enjoyable.They have a variety of desserts and the ones we tried were excellent. I will go back often!
Updated from previous review on Monday July 22, 2013

Pros: Lots of menu options, Vegan versions of familiar foods, Friendly and laid back
Cons: A bit expensive, but worth it!
alif43
alif43

My favorite new restaurant!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

I have been to the Good Karma Cafe a number of times and have always had a great experience. Food is healthy and delicious. I have tried the quinoa burrito, veggie panini, karma wrap, breakfast sandwich, and taco salad and have loved all of them.They have gluten-free and raw options and a large dessert case. Indoor and outdoor seating is available in a nice, relaxed atmosphere. They also offer classes, etc for the community.

Pros: Excellent, healthy food, Great atmosphere
Cons: Nowhere to stand while waiting for takeo
  • EdDoris EdDoris

yes on con! Please try out awesome upstairs lounge to wait for take out...sofa, chairs, music...very chill. We will come and get you when order is ready...Coming soon...order on your smart phone app...hopefully by 7/1/13. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT REVIEW....love to hear these things...we thought of most of the things we have to improve! 1 year in business in a couple of weeks and we are a smashing success thanks to people like you!

EmilyGRose
EmilyGRose

First time visit

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

Nice interior and nice patio seating area with plenty of umbrellas to provide shade during the day. You grab a menu when you walk in, walk up to the register and order. Sit anywhere. Well stocked dessert case. Tasty food. Very accommodating, offering bug spray when we were outside listening to the live music. We ended up moving inside to escape the mosquitoes at 9 PM. I have requested ingredient amounts so we can track what we had, and they responded within 12 hours that they could provide that information. So enjoyable place and people with delicious food that we would make the trip back out for.

Pros: Excellent food & nice decor, Movie Wedesndays & live entertainment , Patio seating
Cons: No line to tip on credit receipt, Mosquitos at night on patio
  • EmilyGRose EmilyGRose

Thanks Ed! We have been back several times and have loved it each and every time!

• EdDoris EdDoris

That was way back in August 2012! We were open a few months! We keep trying to get better. We are hiring the mosquito squad to help with mosquitos this year. And still no tip line! We have worked so hard and have a long way to go...we will never stop improving as long as we are in business. And we will never take for granted beautiful paper like you who take the time to write a nice review like this one. Be well! Ed

Dear Owner and Manager of Good Karma Cafe: