Freedom Fighters Ital Shack

Vegetarian restaurant on St. Maarten island Caribbean. Serves Ital soup and fresh juices daily, plus veggie patties on Mon/Wed/Fri. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Ital, Caribbean, Organic, Juice bar

slithers
slithers

Island Delight

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2014

I love this place - went twice for lunch so far & felt refreshed each time. It has what seems to be Jamaican decor & friendly, unassuming staff. The food is simple, healthy & tasty. I agree with previous reviews, except it is closed Sat. There is generally 1 or 2 meal options which seems to be grains, beans & greens. Highly recommend for vegans & vegetarians in Phillipsburg (especially near Front St, Back St & boardwalk - you can walk from there). They told me they close at 5:30 or 6 usually but earlier if it gets dark & mosquitos are out.
P.S. I took a picture of my Dec 17 meal (quinoa, beans, greens & plantains - uploaded to HappyCow)

Pros: Tasty, Healthy, Good Atmosphere
Cons: Only 1 or 2 Options, Limited Hours (mainly lunch)
DanimalPanda
DanimalPanda

Changed my life

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

I became vegetarian and then 3 months later vegan. because of this temple. I saw the love that is put into food, and learned new things.

I carry cayenne pepper with me at all times now, inspired by their cayenne on every table.

They have amazing fresh juices! I make oat & lime juice often now! It is filling and refreshing! Perfect for quenching thirst and keeping stomach light on a hot summer day in the caribbean!

Looking forward to being amongst the freedom fighters again!

Pros: don't change a thing, its perfect :D
The Juggernaut
The Juggernaut

Good and Simple Food

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

I just came back from St Maarten and visited Ital Shack a couple of times. Both my girlfriend and I enjoyed the meals and like the last reviewer said" its timing to which you can eat there". Saturday is soup night and we missed it. We did sit with the owner and his son and they gave us great advice about St Maarten and it was useful especially if you have a kitchen in your room. I will definitely eat there again when I return!

Pros: Healthy, Simple, Hearty
Cons: Limited Selection

stever
stever

Good Food/Limited Selection

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

Just got back from St. Maarten. The previous reviewer had it all right. Nothing changed but I'd like to add one important thing. Make sure you come as close to noon as possible. The first day, we arrived at 3PM and were told there was no more food left. She cooks a good, healthy meal but that's it. If it's gone, it's gone for the day. Come back tomorrow. Other than that, the food was really good, and nutritious.

Guest
Guest

Wonderful food and atmosphere

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2008

The menu choice at Freedom Fighters Ital Shack is simple - food or no food. Items are sometimes posted on a chalk board, but meals are complete and feature a grain dish, lentil or other bean dish, plaintain, breadfruit, home grown arugala and other veggies. In February 2008, a full meal cost about $8USD. Don't forget to try some of the homemade beverages, especially the oat-lime or tropical fruit drinks. Empress Eyerise is the cook and Freedom Fighter Ras Bushman is on hand to bless all who enter. This is healthy, tasty vegan food at its best. Open daily around noon, except Saturdays when it opens at 7PM. The restaurant is on the left hand side just after the bridge as you leave Phillipsburg towards the airport. By far, the best place for vegans to comfortably dine at a reasonable price in St. Martins.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Social conscience
Cons: Slightly hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Freedom Fighters Ital Shack: