CLOSED: Firestorm Cafe

A worker-owned community event space and coffee shop/cafe committed to maintaining a vegan establishment. Offers vegan beverages and baked goods. Drinks with soy, almond, and coconut milks; the only exception is the organic dairy milk option that's available for coffee drinks (a $0.25 surcharge for dairy is donated to a local farm animal sanctuary). Check out their book selection and the events calendar (see website). MARCH 2014 Reported closed, relocating to new location. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by jeribella
JessinJax
JessinJax

Vegan Truffles!

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

VERY friendly staff! Was in town for Thanksgiving and was searching for vegan chocolates. A worker at The Chocolate Fetish told me to come here for the biggest selection of vegan truffles. I bought one of every kind. They were all amazing! Also bought a yummy coffee with coconut milk creamer.

Pros: Friendly staff, cool vibe
Julie R
Julie R

NEW MENU

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

UPDATE: 10/2012. I was a little bummed today when I went to Firestorm and saw their menu has changed. They only have wraps that are pre-made, so you can't leave anything you don't like out. I loved the TLT and they don't have that anymore. But, I still like the vibe of this place and will just have to suck it up and try something new! I do NOT adapt well to change! :)

* * * *

Firestorm might be my new favorite place when I visit Asheville! I love everything about it; from the low-key, very basic interior, to the super-friendly staff, to the delicious meal - it's all fantastic. I especially love that they are a worker-owned and self-managed business. I also liked all the artwork displayed on the walls. The Cafe is very clean and uses "real" plates and utensils instead of plastic/styrofoam.

This cafe is just my style - good, reasonably priced (cheap, actually) food in a no frills setting. It's a bookstore as well as a cafe. There must be wi-fi since a lot of people were on computers (tho, I am not sure).

My meal was fantastic. It was a sesame/ginger tofu wrap, filled with all kinds of veggies (it comes with avocado, but I had them hold that). The guy taking my order, and the guy making it were very friendly and welcoming - just what you would expect in a vegan restaurant. I also had some delicious unsweetened black tea. It was a great meal (the wrap doesn't come with anything - but it didn't need to, it was very filling). The price of the wrap was $6.50! I love that!

I will definitely be back again and again. The location is excellent and you can enter from a main street, or from a back street. It's right across the street from a little park in the center of downtown Asheville. Try it!

p.s. There is something I disagree with in the Happy Cow description; that Firestorm Cafe is "fast food". You tend to think of fast food as crap food (as in McD or BK). That is so NOT the case here. The food is made up fresh as you wait. It was served to me quickly - so, yes, technically that is fast food - but the words "fast food" just have a stigma attached to them. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

UPDATE: Ate at Firestorm again today and had the Tempeh, Lettuce and Tomato (with herbed chips). OMG, soooo good. Might be my new favorite meal. I love this place! The price was so cheap - $6.50. Another place had almost the same sandwich for $9.50. Delicious!! Love it!

Pros: Very Friendly, Fantastic Food, Worker-Owned
  • firestormcafe firestormcafe

Julie, sorry to hear that you had a negative first impression of our new menu. We hope that you'll have another look at it because we've added a lot of stuff we're excited about, including a daily curry and rice dish, a half-wrap and soup combo, several new bagels and house-made flavored cream cheeses. The focus on rotational, ready-made fare allows us to put more of our time into being a great community space and bookstore instead of just a sandwich shop. We realize that this isn't the same menu you first loved, but we hope you'll give it another try!

BadassJB
BadassJB

heats and sweets

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

An amazing worker-owned vegan cafe with lots of yummy food. The cupcakes and thumbprint cookies are the tastiest in Asheville. I like that they have a venue and bookstore too. The only bummer is that they serve cow's milk for the tourists who come by. At least the tourists are eating and supporting an otherwise vegan place.

Pros: cupcakes, venue, cheap
Cons: cow's milk
vegan-nutritionista
vegan-nutritionista

Great Atmosphere and Good Food!

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

We had a few very good sandwiches at Firestorm when we were very, very hungry and then later stopped by when we had more time to think and process what we were eating. A definite stand out was the chocolate covered macaroon.

The restaurant/book store is all worker owned, which means everyone truly cares about how you enjoy the experience, and I highly appreciated the service. Read a full review: http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/firestorm-cafe.html

Pros: good food, great value, worker owned
Cons: hard to find a table
cheezyvegan
cheezyvegan

great food, great vibe

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

my wife and i made a recent trip to asheville -- our second time in the city. being vegan, we love all the options we have. during our first trip, we didn't even have time to visit all the cafes and restaurants we had hoped to get to, and firestorm was one of those places that was on the bottom of the list. the menu seemed to have fairly standard vegan fare (and yes, the food is all vegan), so we weren't sure it would beat out the local competition.

but we were totally wrong. we stopped in for dinner and sampled their tempeh gyro, and their new mozzarella spinach wrap, and both were divine! then we opted for their brownie sundae with vegan ice cream from ultimate ice cream co, and again -- divine! we loved the food so much we made sure to stop back in for lunch before our trip was over.

the vibe was cool -- lots of people hanging out, reading, eating. very laid-back and low-key, and very welcoming. don't expect frills, because there are none to be found. but what matters is the food, and it's excellent. we'll be back on our next trip down to AVL.

Pros: great food, good prices, good vibe
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Best Bagels!

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

I'm from NY so I'm really picky about my bagels but this place has excellent ones! I love that I can get one with vegan cream cheese. They have a great selection of coffees, teas and desserts as well as a small menu of sandwiches and soups. There are also a variety of books and items for sale.

Pros: Tasty, fast, bagels
mathman
mathman

Firestorm Cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

The decor and food was very basic. My roll-up was inexpensive but too simple for my tastes. If you're vegan and on a tight budget, this may be the place for you.

hippublican
hippublican

Eccentric?

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Firestorm is an interesting little place to stop in for a snack or lunch. The desserts and coffee/tea are my favorites.
The restaurant is about what you'd expect from a vegetarian place. Loud but friendly service, lots of quirky art on the walls, wobbly tables and mismatched chairs. Firestorm has a small book selection too. The books are mostly liberal interests, no surprise there. I liked their selection of books on vegetarianism.
I'd go back, but I'd probably get carry out. The super-casual environment isn't really my thing.

Pros: good prices, great dessert
Cons: hipster haven
peechdoctor
peechdoctor

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2011

Traveling from east tn to east nc, we often have to pick food stops carefulle, examine each menu and ask tons of questions.... the only problem with this place is what to try first!! Great people, great atmosphere, and great food!! we even came back and grabbed a couple of cookies and blue sky sodas for the road!!! keep it up, we will defo be back!!!

Pros: Friendly people, Great selection, Great prices
autumnivy
autumnivy

firestorm

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

I've only been here once, but had a nice quite time w/ hubbie. Had Chai (very yummy, lots of foam) and a small salad. Neat atmosphere, lots of interesting anarchist books to browse. Indie music mix that I liked. "Hip". A friend goes there for game night.

Pros: great chai, good dressing, nice barista/server
Cons: may freak some people out
Lola La Fey
Lola La Fey

Awsome worker owned collective

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

This is a highly ethical worker owned collective. Their food was varied and delicious. We came with our two year, and found it to be a family friendly place. They had wooden toys and room to run around. A lot of their food is quite affordable. For more on their BEST VALUED FOOD please see our blog.

Pros: All Vegan, Family Friendly, Ethical
Cons: Hard to find
snail
snail

Not completely vegan

2 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

Firestorm is not completely vegan. They serve dairy products and honey.

That being said, the vegan menu items are delicious, and the atmosphere is nice. It's nice that it's worker-owned and operated. Lots of interesting radical books and people.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: not vegan
  • Pansyflower Pansyflower

I eat there pretty regularly and have seen honey only once on their specials board for some tea or something. I don't quite remember. However, all the food is vegan; the only dairy is milk for coffee drinks (though I don't know why they have to have that).

• firestormcafe firestormcafe

Our food menu is 100% vegan. We offer local, organic milk to remain commercially viable in a small, non-vegan city but all of our beverages are dairy-free unless otherwise requested (we serve soy, almond and coconut milks). We are committed to maintaining a vegan establishment and actively support the local veg*n community through fundraisers, book clubs, educational events, etc.

scgilles
scgilles

The most AMAZING brownies

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

Amazing vegan brownies & vegan truffles too!! Friendly service & great book selection. Game night Wednesday nights, cool!

Pros: Inexpensive, Great goodies
jetgal
jetgal

Worth the visit

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2010

Ambiance is great. I splurged and got an exspresso brownie with my soy latte- totally worth it. I loved visiting this all vegan cafe and wish I had a chance to sample more food. The book selection is as interesting as the clientel. The service was super fast and super friendly.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: no outdoor seating
navski
navski

good and vegan

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2010

I finally tried this place - don't know what took me so long, but the food we had was really good. I had a great sandwich, which was $9. That sure is not cheap, but I support the fact that they are worker-owned, and I'd go back to have it again sometime. Very casual atmosphere - coffee house style, but they have a good range of sandwiches, soup, etc.

Pros: good food, vegan, worker-owned
Cons: not cheap
  • firestormcafe firestormcafe

Thanks for the positive words! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our cafe and we hope you'll come back. The sandwich you had (the Philly) is the priciest item on our menu, so you can definitely eat for less on a future visit. Our sandwiches range from $4 to $9 (after tax).

cringer
cringer

SOOOO Awesome!

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2009

I love this place! It's all vegan except for some cows milk. Its also worker owned and they have books. Even though the menu is small, the food is really good! The Philly Sub is amazing! They have tons of yummy all vegan cupcakes, brownies, muffins. The atmosphere is great too.

Pros: vegan desserts, worker owned, yummy food
Cons: can be crowded
Veghead74
Veghead74

Awesome!

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

Great all vegan cafe with yummy snacks and coffee. I had a sandwich and a mocha while listening to a local band.

Pros: Vegan, Laid back, Yummy
IpomeaBliss
IpomeaBliss

Progressive and Proactive

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

I love this place. First of all, it is completely vegan. And their mint-chocolate cookies are the best anywhere in town. They also make a fantastic tempeh gyro. And the people are so friendly! Prices are great, and there are computers, and nooks to read, and a chess set and board games. Kid friendly. They also often have events, or you can use their space for group meetings or herbalist gatherings. Only downside is they can be a little slow. But it is so worth it if you can spare the time.

Pros: Vegan + Delicious!, Friendly staff, Good prices
Cons: can be a little slow
  • Pansyflower Pansyflower

I almost love this place - I like it a lot. But it is not 100% vegan. They offer cow's milk for use in coffee and tea. And, like many anarchist/revolutionary bookstores, they do not have a separate section on animal rights, though they do carry some vegan cookbooks. They also carry at least one book on the "local food" phenomenon, which of course includes animals killed locally. So while it's super vegan-friendly, it's not completely vegan friendly nor do the bulk of people there seem interested in animal rights. The food is good, though, and the chocolate cupcakes are mighty tasty.

jeribella
jeribella

Delicious wonder for the body & mind!

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2008

Wonderful food! sandwiches, cupcakes, coffee drinks with choice of soy or almond milk! I love this place! Great books, zines & local handmades too :-)

Pros: Vegan!, Affordable, Friendly!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Firestorm Cafe: