Serves meat, veg options available. Locally owned restaurant serving authentic Mexican cuisine. Offers veggie choices. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

Ken4057
Ken4057

Much better than Rancho Relaxo

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

Only came here to meet non-veg friends for brunch. Normally my gf and I would either go to the legendary Hibiscus or else King's Cafe or Urban Herbivore for brunch in Kensington Market.

The story is that the owners used to own a spice store in the market, and because the owner's Mexican home cooking was so good her friends suggested she start a restaurant. She then took over and reinvented the existing El Trompo restaurant.

They have a number of veggie items on the menu and other items that they will make vegan on request. Our server was very aware of the difference between vegan and vegetarian, and which items were okay for us to eat.

We had the veggie Alambres, a veggie stir-fry served with soft corn tortillas, of which they brought more out by the dozen. It had pineapple mixed in with the other typical Mexican veggies and was perfect for brunch.

We also had Hongo, fried mushrooms w coriander and onion which were delectable with the fresh guacamole and table sauces.

I'll probably go back sometime when I get a craving.

More authentic and a much better value than Rancho Relaxo, another Mexican place with a decent veg selection. Still love Rancho's deep-fried soy ice cream tho.

Pros: authentic, friendly, spicy
Cons: tiny patio
  • Ken4057 Ken4057

Since I wrote this review, Rancho Relaxo has greatly improved their menu, adding faux meats and daiya cheese among other things. I would no longer rate El Trompo as better, although it is still more authentic.

Dear Owner and Manager of El Trompo: