Down to Earth Deli Cafe

Vegetarian deli cafe inside the Down to Earth health food store. You can choose from the hot foods and salad bar, priced by weight, order at the deli counter for sandwiches, veggie burgers, wraps, burritos, and cold deli salads. A large majority of the food items are labeled "dairy" and some are labeled as "vegan." Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American

First Review by turtle3808
deathgrowl
deathgrowl

Mmmmmm!

3 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2014

I had a delicious kale salad with other greens - plenty of toppings available. When I was there most of the hot bar was vegan (lots of different stuff) and looked delicious. Great store. There's also a smoothie counter.

Pros: Delicious, Lots Of Options
Eviecus
Eviecus

Brilliant!

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

My husband and I went here once and wished we went more often but we only had the rental car that day. I'm a vegan and he's a vegetarian. We got sandwiches - I got an "egg" salad sandwich and for later a mock chicken indonisian wrap. He got food from the hot buffet counter and I tasted some of it, it was really tasty. he got some vegan cannelloni, mock chicken strips, potato cubes and vegetarian lasagne. We also bought all of our groceries here. It's an amazing store and we thought it was some of the nicest food we had on Maui. The staff are extremely nice and helpful.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, very nice vibe-could spend all day here
Dee R
Dee R

The BEST vegan non-gmo hot bar & salad bar on Maui

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

The newly remodeled Down to Earth is gorgeous, great energy, AND delicious and amazing hot and cold vegan selections. They also have an Amy's (non-gmo) vegan burger bar.

Pros: Lots of vegan selections!, Non-GMO is clearly marked!, Great remodel job
Cons: Need a fresh organic juice bar please!

PaolaCatapano
PaolaCatapano

Amazing!

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

Incredible choice of every possible kind of vegan food available: here I saw for the first time the vegan crabcake and scallops!
Food fresh, in fridge and frozen, pretty much everything you fancy is there!
The hot food section is amazing, great sweet and sour seitan and sweet potatoes salad!

Pros: wide choice of all kind of food, staff very kind, huge parking place
Chia
Chia

All Veg Food in Kahului

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2012

I had first read about this place on happycow, and have stopped in on two previous trips to Maui. Was just here again in December 2012, and here's my Down To Earth Deli Cafe review update.

Down to Earth Market has several locations all together on the Hawaiian islands. In Maui, there's used to be a small store with deli foods in Makawao as well as one in Lahaina, but they've both closed for many years This one is the currently the only location in Maui.

The food area is immediately to the right upon entering the store. There is a salad bar, hot foods bar, deli counter, and service counter where you can order sandwiches, wraps, veggie burgers, juices and smoothies.

The salad and hot foods bar area features both lacto-veg as well as vegan food. Dairy is labeled. On any given day there might be 5-6 vegan hot dishes (brown rice, beans, baked tofu, a curry, a potato dish, etc.). Food is price by weight at $9.50 per pound (as of Dec 2012), which can get slightly expensive.

You help yourself to the hot foods and salad bar, then go over to the deli counter to order other stuff. Then you pay and take the food upstairs or outside to eat.

The second floor space is relaxed and spacious. I would recommend getting lunch here.

Pros: all vegetarian, central location
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Down to Earth Deli Cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

When I stopped in at Down to Earth I took some things to go from the hot bar and deli area. I had a tofu dish that looked like a stew, it was really good. The cookie I got from the deli was dry and flaky; I decided to throw it away after one bite. DTE is definitely a great place to stop at while in Maui, certainly better than Whole Foods.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

best sandwich and wrap i've had in a long time

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

The deli/hot bar here is not to be missed. The rainforest sandwich/wrap (you can have sandwiches to wraps, wraps to sandwiches) is top notch, mustard lemon juice and spike combi is so good! They have so many vegan goodies, cookies, cakes, noodle wraps. There is indoor seating upstairs along with a few seats out front. I just wonder why I can't get a sandwich and wrap like this back on the mainland!

Pros: rainforest as a wrap
Steve Shoe
Steve Shoe

Cool store and. great deli

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

Ate here twice while visiting. They make great sandwiches to order and have a neat place to enjoy them upstairs with a view of the mountains. They also have a store that sells quality produce and organic items and a salad bar that they sell by the ounce. Enjoy!!

Pros: tasty food, staff was friendly and helpful
Cons: hmmm, they dont do breakfast
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Not as vegan-friendly as the D2E cafes on Oahu

3 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2011

When I visit a $9.59 a pound salad bar, even in paradise, I expect the lettuce to be organic and to not have to pick thru browned pieces of lettuce to find pieces that look fresh. I also expect to have all salad dressings labelled on the bottle, so if someone puts a bottle of non-vegan dressing back into the wrong slot, I won't accidentally consume dairy. Unfortunately, this salad bar which is expensive even by Maui standards (Whole Foods, Manna in Paia, and Hawaiian Moons in Kihei are all more than a dollar less expensive), doesn't meet the above criteria.

This being said, a vegan CAN get a nice delicious meal here, both in the cold foods and hot foods section, however, there are far fewer vegan options than both Down to Earth Deli Cafe's I visited on Oahu. I'm lucky if 50% of the hot food items are vegan on a given day, whereas in Oahu, it was usually 75 to 80% vegan. Some of the vegan options I've enjoyed at this salad bar are curried chickpeas (cold section), curried vegetables with a phyllo dough topping (hot section), and "chicken" flavored tofu pieces.

Also, one can't go all the way around the cold food and hot food stations of the salad bar, which makes for a congested traffic pattern at peak times. I still enjoy eating here, but not as much as at Down to Earth in Oahu, and I certainly don't think I'm getting a bargain. Fortunately, unlike Manna in Paia, there is seating for the salad bar, both upstairs and outside.

Pros: Delicious Vegan Options, Ample Seating
Cons: Expensive even by Maui standards, Not all organic, Fewer vegan options than D2E, Oahu
kindlizard
kindlizard

very good, close to ogg, inexpensive

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

We made this our first stop being that it is a block or so from the airport and after a day of travel to paradise we wanted to wait no longer. They had some great vegan items on the bar, a tofu, a seitan, salads, beans, taters, rice, etc, some typical hot bar stuff and some not. The cold case has some great raw options (rawptions?) including a coconut almond deal. I thought the price was very good especially when factoring how the cost of everything is a bit more on the island. We ate in the car, but upon returning immediately to grab more for the room my sweetie saw the seating area which I missed through my bleary eyes.
Highly suggested.

Pros: good food period, not expensive, location
jamber79
jamber79

couldn't eat dinner here

3 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2011

Wanted to eat dinner here since we were visiting and had no house to take the food back to, but there weren't any tables or chairs. Had to get a few bites from the salad bar just to try it and that tasted good, but had to go to a real restaurant for dinner. The market is awesome though! Tons of vegetarian/vegan food to stock up on.

clark
clark

great market and deli

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2010

On our recent trip to Maui, the Down to Earth Deli Cafe was a godsend for us. After getting off the plane we were starving... As the market is close to the airport, we were able to stop by for some lunch on our way out to West Maui. The food was delicious! Throughout our stay on the island, we made numerous stops by the market whenever we could. As there were fewer vegetarian options on Maui than w're used to, the Down to Earth Cafe was a real lifesaver.

fmortel
fmortel

lifesaver

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2010

We stocked up on both deli items and groceries during our stay in Maui in April. The hot and cold deli items that we tried were all delicious. The staff at Down to Earth were all really friendly. We had rented a condo and didn't think we'd be able to find enough vegan friendly grocery stores to cook some meals until we came across this place, it's great!

Pros: staff, price, selection
jersam
jersam

Down to Earth Store and Restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

We went to this place more than once to have lunch from their pay by weight cold and hot buffets - what a treat compared to the overpriced typical Maui restaurants. Also liked their bulk food section.Will definitely go again when I'm in Maui.

jeanvabumy
jeanvabumy

Hawaiian Happiness

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2010

we just returned from our vacation in Maui. we tried to find several of the Veg restaurants listed on Happy Cow and failed. However, the Down To Earth Deli was easy to find and delicious. I had the rainbow sandwich... a concoction of vegetables on a vegan roll. My meat eater husband had a veggie burger which was very good too. We had a terrific meal and enjoyed browsing the aisles while waiting for our meals.

Pros: Great Food, Many choices, Easy to find
Cons: Hours, cafe is not in the best condition, a bit pricey
veganpastagirl
veganpastagirl

Great Health Food Store!

5 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2008

It's vegetarian and has great vegan options. Lots of tofu dishes, mashed potatoes, pasta and sandwiches with great local avocado and veggies. Try the mock chicken! Excellent!

Pros: Great Variety, Good Prices
supervegan
supervegan

Yum!

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2007

It was so nice to be able to get a hot, vegan meal just a few minutes from our hostel in Wailuku. Their hot bar had lots of vegan stuff to choose from. However, their deli and desserts were far less vegan-friendly than the Down to Earth that I had been to in Oahu.

Pros: Fast, Convenient
Cons: Deli could be more vegan
turtle3808
turtle3808

Yummy sandwiches!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2007

Found this place by accident when looking for somewhere to buy sandwiches to bring with us on the road to Hana. My sandwich was awesome, and my 2 omni friends loved theirs too! We picked up some other provisions there as well. The staff was really friendly and helpful and their food was great. Too bad I didn't know about it before going to the Safeway in Kihei (where we stayed)!

Pros: great food, friendly staff, lots of choices
Cons: some things a little pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Down to Earth Deli Cafe: