Breads on Oak

Serves meat, veg options available. European boulangerie atmosphere bakery and cafe. Makes artisan breads, of which many are vegan. All of the muffins, brownies, cookies, and cakes are vegan and mostly organic. The breakfast and lunch items that are vegan suitable are marked with (V). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Bakery, American, Take-out, Non-veg
8640 Oak St (Broad St)
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118
504-669-5173

Open Wed-Sat 7:30am-3pm, Sun 7:30am-1pm.

First Review by peterlcho
Helen Phillips
Helen Phillips

My Eyes Popped!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

I walked into Breads on Oak not knowing it offered vegan food. At first I was speechless; then kept saying 'And this is vegan! And this! And this!' This place is vegan heaven. Vegan paradise! So many options, from sandwiches to breakfasts [biscuits with tofu fillings of various sorts; tortas; quiches] to all the sweets we never fine unless we cook them ourselves -- wee pies [the chocolate one; Oh my!], croissants, cookies, truffles, muffins, breakfast cakes. I went back every day during my trip to New Orleans, ate something different each day [took their sandwiches on my daily jaunts], and EVERYTHING I tried was super deliciously fantastic! There are a few non-vegan items but primarily their offerings are vegan, organic, and much is from local sources. If you visit New Orleans, DO NOT MISS Bread on Oaks.

Pros: Many vegan options, Each option is fantastically delicious, Both savory and sweet products
Cons: none, none, none
vegbaker
vegbaker

Hooray for Breads on Oak!

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

Absolutely wonderful food. The vegan king cakes they had during Mardi Gras were so good! We tried 2 different flavors: cream cheese filled (yep, that was vegan), and cinnamon. The cinnamon was the favorite and was eaten in 1 day. I say that with no shame, you would understand if you had it. Delicious freshly baked goods, SO MANY vegan options, and a super friendly/helpful staff.
Beautiful outdoor seating in the back and a few chairs inside and out front.
Follow them on Facebook to stay up to date on what goodies they have in store for you that week, sometimes beignets make an appearance, sometimes eclairs, you just never know! They've mentioned that they may choose to stay open later than their current hours too!

Pros: Delicious, Vegan King Cake during Mardi Gras, Friendly Attentive Staff
cookiemonster_ontour
cookiemonster_ontour

Delicious

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I am so glad I found this place during my quick stop in New Orleans. My husband and I are vegans and made a road trip with my sister and her boyfriend (both carnivores). One of the reviews here advertised the vegan croissants that this place offers. We decided to stop for breakfast. On the day we stopped by, they had no vegan version of the croissants prepared as they seem to rotate their offerings throughout the week.

No reason to be disappointed though, none of us left hungry and everything was just delicious. I was particular impressed with the vegan Quiches, the sandwich with raw food toppings and the non-dairy milk options. We could get the cappuccino with soy or almond milk as an alternative. Even a Chai almond latte was made for me, although it was not really on the menu. Our breakfast was so delicious that we bought two more breads for home and another Quiche for the road. What a wonderful start into a day!

The staff was extremely friendly and told us that they will expand their vegan offerings in the near future and still experimenting with recipes.

The baked goods are all organic and hence the prices are a little higher. To give you an idea, we bought 4 sandwiches, 4 cappuccino type of drinks, 1 juice, 2 Quiches, 1 piece of cake, 2 loaves of bread for around 75$. That was a whole lot of really really good food!

Pros: plenty vegan options, healthy and 'richer'options, very friendly staff
thepenmaster
thepenmaster

Exceptional Vegan Food

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I recently went to Breads on Oak while visiting New Orleans last week and I must say it was a pleasant surprise. I probably would not have gone had it not been so close to the apartment I was staying in but I am glad that I did. I would say at least 80% of the offerings there are vegan and they are clearly marked. The workers, owners and clients are very friendly and I talked with all of them and each gave me their recommendations on what to try. I enjoyed everything and order 3 or more items daily. The mushroom pate sandwich and the chocolate pecan brownie are delicious.

It was very motivational for me to be in a setting where veganism was so well supported and to be able to interact with other vegans. Furthermore, it was a plus for veganism to show that one can have a commercially successful eatery without (mostly) supporting the slaughter of animals and still create tasty food.

This is a great place to eat/snack for vegans and non-vegans. My best friend is not a vegan but she really liked the food here, too. The prices are reasonable enough; they are what you'd expect to pay at Starbucks or any cafe like it. If I am ever in New Orleans I will definitely return to Breads on Oak. I already asked them if they planned on shipping out of state soon!

Pros: Friendly Staff , Great Vegan Food
Cons: Weird hours/days of Operation
vegansydney
vegansydney

Triple happiness

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

Vegan eclairs + vegan croissants + southern hospitality = triple happiness! The owners treated me like royality. Even without the red carpet treatment the baked goods speak for themselves. Let me repeat again vegan eclairs and croissants! This place is not to be missed.

Pros: Super friendly, informed and helpful staff, Great value
Cons: ***, ***

foodie4life
foodie4life

The Greatest Thing to Happen to New Orleans

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

This bakery is very close to my heart. The owners Chamain & Sean O'Mahony are the most genuine and friendly people around, almost as sweet as their baked goods. If you go inside and have the chance to meet them, let them tell you about their stone hearth oven or their love for amazing food. Walking into the bakery feels like home, and the production is thorough and can be seen thru the glass windows as bakers are constantly at work kneading dough and making levain starter. Beyond aesthetics, the croissants and baguettes are by far the best in town, perhaps the entire southern region. The levain breads, like mulitgrain, miche, and pain de campagne remind me of being in Europe and don't even compare to store-bought bread. One can go visit the bakery in the morning for locally roasted french roast or chicory coffee, delicious organic muffins or cinnamon-walnut coffeecake. Or, try it out for lunch and order a roasted veggie sandwich with housemade pesto on ciabatta bread, mushroom pate with spinach and red pepers, or for the raw lovers the life food sandwich is where its at. Another wonderful thing about Breads On Oak is that they cater to people of all dietary needs, especially with their monthly vegan croissant assortments. In fact, they recently switched to all organic flours in January 2013! I know, eating organic is not always the most feasible or affordable choice, but you can really taste the difference here! Honestly though, it doesn't matter if you a carnivore, omnivore, herbivore or something in between- everyone I have ever taken to the bakery has not stopped talking about it since. I urge you to please go and experience the magic, because there is so much love and hard work that can be appreciated from each item, it would be a shame for you to miss out.

P.S. Try the pecan toasted chocolate brownies or the carrot cake ..they are so dreamy you won't be disappointed!
Updated from previous review on Friday May 31, 2013

Pros: Super Friendly Staff, Mouthwatering Food, Outdoor seating-courtyards and in front
greyhound989
greyhound989

Awesome food

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

This place has become a favorite! It's very vegan friendly (still not common here in New Orleans), with delicious vegan pastries, breads, and soups regularly appearing on the menu. I love their pineapple muffins, so good! Good coffee too, with non-dairy milk available. New Orleans can be a tough town to be vegan, but new places like this popping up make it a lot easier. Note their hours though, because I've shown up after they closed.

Pros: vegan friendly, nice staff
bayzydk
bayzydk

A Real Gem

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

One word: vegan croissant. They aren't always available, and you may have to wait a couple hours to get your hands on them, but it is well worth it. The vast majority of the muffins, cakes, cookies, pies, soups, sandwiches, and breads are vegan. All vegan items are clearly marked and the staff have "vegan" and "nonvegan" cutting boards in the event something needs to be sliced. Natural sodas, juices, and coconut water also available. Everything I have eaten there has been out-of-this world delicious. Very high quality and typically a good bargain. The owners are real salt of the earth, too. My only complaint is their limited hours: Thurs-Sun 8am-3pm

Pros: Quality, Taste
Cons: Business hours
Junebugms
Junebugms

• non-vegetarian

Mouth watering

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

The moment you walk in to Breads on Oak you know you are about to experience something great. From the display of freshly baked breads to the counter filled with so many baked goods. The owners, Chamain and Sean are the nicest people you will ever run into. The first thing you hear upon entering the bakery is "would you like to try a sample?" And then the fun begins. Chamain and Sean are available to answer any questions you may have from descriptions of their products and how to store or freeze them.

Only the best ingredients are used and boy can you tell the difference compared to other bakeries I have tried. Chamain's brownies are the BEST I HAVE EVER EATEN, and to learn they are vegan was a surprise. Such rich, dark chocolate. I thought they were my favorite until I tried the peanut butter cookies this weekend. Oh my gosh! And the muffins! Strawberry vanilla, cranberry orange, blueberry, pineapple coconut, with chunks of fruit. So much flavor. Oh and the coconut macaroons were amazing!

I also had Sean's grape bread this weekend. It tastes as good as it looks. The olive loaf is fantastic. So many fresh herbs throughout each and every bite.

Everyone must head on over on Friday and Saturdays to give it a try. I guarantee you will be back over and over again.

peterlcho
peterlcho

Breads on Oak is Awesome!!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

For those who have not heard of Breads on Oak, you should do a Google search for it. It is by far the best new bakery in New Orleans. The owners, Sean and Chamaine have done an incredible job in transforming an old parts and appliance store into a great new neighborhood establishment.

First of all, Sean bakes the most authentic French artisanal breads around. His Baguettes and Croissants are phenomenal! So is the sourdough loaf. He is the only one in this area that has trained with world famous breadmakers in order to learn his craft. His custom-built ovens are also really excellent.

Wife Chamaine's contributions are also top-notch. Her Vegan fare is on par with many non-vegan selections. Her muffins, brownies and other treats are totally organic, totally vegan, and just delicious. It will make any non-vegitarian or non-vegan a believer.

If you are lucky, and get to the store when things are coming out of the oven, you just might get to sample some of the delicious offerings from the oven. They also offer espresso, coffee, and other drinks, and have convenient tables to enjoy your snacks.

This place should become a staple of good food here in New Orleans.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 08, 2012
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 08, 2012

Pros: Great Food, Vegan, Take Credit Cards

Dear Owner and Manager of Breads on Oak:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the New Orleans page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/07/29