Serves meat, veg options available. Korean stone bowls filled with rice and meats but also offers multiple vegetarian choices. Maybe 5 of the 6 bibimbap sauces are vegan suitable - ask. Emphasis on seasonal vegetables. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Beer/Wine, Korean, Non-veg

saveur
saveur

Healthy vegan bibimbap

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

UPDATE 6/12/2014: Still love this place. Even more so now that they have clearly labelled all their vegan items (and their kimchi is now vegan, too!). A few new items, too, like their vegan kimchi fries. Add the leftovers to your rice bowl - yum!! My only gripe is that additional tofu is over $3 which is way too pricy in my mind.

My original review:

A Korean sizzling brown rice specialty, we were drawn to Bi Bim Bap first form their glowing reviews for authentic, healthy Korean food. Furthermore, they offer brown rice (for no extra charge), along with vegan options such as tofu (offered either fried or steamed) or a blend of 9 different mushrooms. You can also personalized your stone bowl creations with your choice of hot sauce, or not-so-hot sauce (in my case, I had the not hot soy garlic sauce, but R had the 'mild hot' sour GoChuJang which I thought was plenty spicy, thankyouverymuch). Since the hot sauces are served on the side, you can add to taste and even ask for another sauce if it turns out to be too spicy.

On the side was some kimchi and pickled ?pear/apple? (not very much, which was sad). Their homemade and simple kimchi is now vegan.

All bibimbaps come with miso soup and a cinnamon-ginger dessert drink.

Fast service with piping hot food (you can opt to not have the stone bowl if you don't want it too hot), we were filled with an appy, and 3-course bibimbap in a bit over an hour.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 24, 2013

Pros: healthy, fast, accomodating and malleable to all tastes
Cons: extra tofu is >$3
  • Bi Bim Bap Bi Bim Bap

Hi. This is SAM. The owner of Bi Bim Bap. Thank you for such kind words. Another member came in tonight and told me about this site. Very cool!! I wanted to update you on our KimChi. It took us 3 years but we finally managed to make a Vegan Kim Chi that has umami! So the next time you come in feel free to ask for more Kim Chi and Pickles (btw the mystery vegetables in the pickle is Chayote)

Dear Owner and Manager of Bi Bim Bap: