Air conditioned veggie restaurant with a nice, minimalist decor and candles on tables. Directions: Located 15-20 minutes from the historic centre, about 5-10 minutes from the railway and bus stations, on a main road marked on the standard tourist office map. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Spanish, Beer/Wine
Carrer Riu Güell 31-33 (near train station)
Girona, Spain 17005
Closed now

Mon-Sat 1:00pm-4:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:30am-11:00am

First Review by Mitch Cohen
Joanna Dubois
Joanna Dubois

An excellent, friendly place

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

I have been having lunch at Amaranta on every visit to Girona for a few years now. Please note the restaurant has changed ownership a year ago. The new owner is particularly charming and although the food was already nice before, I found, on my latest visit last week, the standard was even better. OK. the choice for vegans isn't as great as for vegetarians, but the owner told me he was keen to extend the vegan range. It happened to be their first anniversary and so clients could pay however little they wanted for their meal, which I thought was a lovely gesture (but I insisted on paying the full price - which is very cheap anyway - as I want the venture to thrive). The decor is very agreeable, the place -including the toilet facilities - impeccably clean and service always friendly. Please note the menu is only in Catalan, so a small phrase book/dictionary will come in handy. I'm surprised another reviewer stated this restaurant was a 5 - 10 mins walk from the station. I'd say it's more like 3 mins. If you arrive at 1 pm, you'll probably be the only party in the restaurant; by 3 pm it is packed, so don't be put off when coming early, by seeing the resto empty: Spanish people have their meals much later than Anglo-Saxons do.

jinsao
jinsao

Are you a vegan? Avoid this place like a pest!

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2011

For a change I decided to give this restaurant a go. A bit of a dissapointment. After asking for vegan options, I was only presented with three vegan options so it kinda felt like an omni restaurant to me. If you are a hungry vegan with little money to spend, you'd be better off going to an omni restaurant where they'd give you exactly the same foods but half the price. I don't think I will go there again on my next trip to Girona (Catalonia).

Pros: Friendly staff, Non smoking, Big portions
Cons: overpriced, noisy, unhealthy cuisine
Nihacc
Nihacc

Good lunch, not so good dinner

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

We wanted to try this restaurant and B-12 in Girona, but B-12 was closed so we had lunch and dinner here. Lunch menu was ok: good quality, good price (11,60 € drink included or 10 € without drink; 9 € kids menu), vegan options and good portions. At dinner, it was more expensive (I supposed it would be) but in my opinion quality and quantity must be better for that price (lunch menu was tastier and bigger); besides you can pay with restaurant-tickets (Sodhexo, Restaurant...) only at lunch not dinner... no reason given. I would recommend it only for lunch menu.

Pros: Lunch menu, Friendly staff, Good atmosphere
Cons: Dinner menu

Michael R
Michael R

Adventurous menu

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

Hours:

Lunch: Mon-Sat: 13.00 - 16.00
Dinner: Fri & Sat: 20.30 - 23.00

Located about 15-20 minutes from the historic centre, about 5-10 minutes from the railway and bus stations, on a main road marked on the standard tourist office map.

Proper restaurant, candles on tables, all inside, nicely presented. Air conditioning.

All vegetarian. Quite a wide selection of starters, first courses, second courses and puddings. I had three vegetable pates as a starter (rather salty for my taste) and mushroom stroganoff with mango and gorgonzola sauce (which did not quite come off for my taste, but showed some adventurousness).

Two courses with water came to just under €20.

Midori
Midori

Nice Atmosphere, Good Food

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

I enjoyed my lunch here. The service was good, and there were vegan options. I had salad, a pilaf-like rice dish, wine, and fruit for dessert. Overall, it is a typical Spanish restaurant, only perhaps a bit more polished than average. It is non-smoking. I recommend it.

Pros: good food, good service, nice atmosphere
Cons: only fruit for vegan dessert
Mitch Cohen
Mitch Cohen

Very Good Food, Friendly Staff

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2008

The owner was very friendly, and very willing to help English-speakers find the [limited] vegan options. Good soup, salad & entree.
Limited dinner nights. Thurs-Sat?

Pros: friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Amaranta: