Opened Aug 2013, this eco-friendly vegetarian restaurant features two floors of seating. Offers a daily menu in addition to fresh juices. Marks the vegan items. Sample dishes range from Za'atar bread with salads and paella quinoa with seitan to whole wheat pasta and vegan burger with fried chips. No reservation needed. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Spanish, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Juice bar, Beer/Wine
Carrer de Paris 200

brianjosephgrover
brianjosephgrover

Wonderful.

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

Very friendly and welcoming staff. The waiter was very conversational and spoke English when we needed it. The food was tasty and they had really delicious fresh juices as well. I recommend it.

RomanCGN
RomanCGN

Great restaurant

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2014

Have been to Zaatar in September this year and love this place. Not only the food was great, even the fresh juices and the organic wine was great.

As well, the location on two floors is very beautiful and Lee, the owner is a very friendly guy, Hope to get there soon again.

Pros: great tasty food, fresh juices, nice location
tqudduss
tqudduss

Great restaurant

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2014

Barcelona, although a beautiful location for a honeymoon, does not have very many vegetarian restaurants. We enjoyed a very nice meal. The owner was very gracious, took the time to welcome all patrons, and was driven by a personal ethic of sustainability and empathy. The food was good with a nice selection, and Zaatar was a nice oasis in the middle of a bunch of not-so-vegetarian friendly restaurants.

daveharruk
daveharruk

Very pleased

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2014

Run by very helpful and friendly staff, the food and atmosphere are both excellent. In Barcelona it can be difficult to find restaurants if you're looking for a quiet meal with your partner - this restaurant is ideal for these occasions. The juices are excellent and the food is cooked freshly, the prices reasonable - I'd have no problem recommending this restaurant.

Pros: Great food and drink, Good atmosphere, Friendly, helpful staff
neemeliivlaid
neemeliivlaid

Good place for a lunch

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2014

This nice and well located offers good daily menus with multiple options for every course.

CaptainKarin
CaptainKarin

Very nice

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

Nice restaurant with very friendly staff and many vegan choices.
Only the dessert wasn't so good (and we tried all vegan desserts - urks).
Updated from previous review on Friday September 26, 2014

Pros: friendly staff, vegan choices, good price
Cons: dessert
Riotdontdiet
Riotdontdiet

Decent food but amazing juices

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

The food was good but not special. If you only take a main course, the portion might be too small for dinner. The juices were amazing though. I would recommend this place.

Pros: awesome juices, not expensive, friendly staff
Cons: small portions
MrsBellerby
MrsBellerby

Great juices

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2014

The restaurant has an extraordinary selection of juices which they make from scratch in a massive blender. They were very tasty.

The food was quite nice but we ordered poorly. Not having tried seitan before and wanting to have their "specialty dishes", we order schnitzel and paella. However, they tasted quite meaty, which I am not keen on. The "pan zaatar con salsas" was very tasty and the "crema del dia", effectively gazpacho, was nice.

Generally the service was great. Our only problem was that the card machine would not let us pay in euros, only sterling, which we did not want to do. The man kept telling us to 'just press ok' but we did not want to pay the extra charges.

Pros: Selection of juices, Pan zataar con salsas, Atmosphere
Cons: Seitan dishes, Card machine issues
JonJon
JonJon

Friendly place, basic but good food

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

We had dinner in this restaurant and find the place pretty nice with the balcony inside. The staff was really friendly with us and gave good advice when we ordered. We took a mezze of hummus and baba ghanouj, served with illimited zaatar and bread and a paella of quinoa. Both were good but not exceptionnal in taste. As a dessert, we ordered a pear tatin pie and a chocolate-orange cream which were really good. But finally, the best part of our meal was the fresh juices we took! Try them!

Pros: vegan options, fresh juices, friendly staff, nice place, affordable
Cons: pretty basic food
v de vegana
v de vegana

okay but not outstanding

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

I went there with some friends, who are not vegan/vegetarian.

- The food didn't impress me very much. The cremes and dips we ordered in the beginning were ok, nothing really special. My maindish, seitan with a almond and mushroom sauce was ok, but I had higher expectations. I missed some flavour.

- The decoration is quiet cold. It's not very calid place. And the music was annoying, meditative electronic mix, and because of the low ceiling it was really loud there.

+ The service was great, the person who attended us really friendly and caring. He informed us about every plate.

Pros: service
Cons: lack of flavour, atmosphere
mik
mik

Not great, but solid

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

I had high expectations after reading all the reviews below, but frankly, I didn´t quite feel that Zaatar lived up to them. The place lacks atmosphere and is very bare, but then again, you don`t want to eat the wallpaper. Staff were pleasant but a bit stressed, and happy to explain whatever queries we may have. We ordered a regular yet nicely dressed salad and a guacamole that was slightly bland. As for main courses, my partner had a lasagne and I opted for homemade seitan with mushrooms and an almond sauce that I found fairly interesting.

On the whole, our experience wasn't really anything out of the ordinary, but I would be happy to return to Zaatar. Some aspects mentioned above could easily be amended, but I did appreciate the effort of veganising a great deal of dishes, or at least offering such a possibility, for example when it came to the lasagne or the decent arroz con leche (a dessert made mostly of rice and oats milk). This was, unlike Veg World India, truly 90% vegan.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Not sure what I'm missing....

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

I honestly don't get what all the other reviews are talking about. I had a very very ordinary experience at Zaatar. The place was certainly clean, the people were friendly and the atmosphere was acceptable, but the food was not good at all. I had a bland boring paella, some greasy zaatar and a boring salad. I didn't really find that any of the dishes stood out, and while nothing was offensive, I'd see absolutely no reason to go here again.

Acim14
Acim14
  • raw

Creative and fullfilling,,

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

I've been visiting this restaurant since they opened,, very good quality!!

aisteve_
aisteve_

Impressed!

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

We visited this restaurant during our trip to Barcelona. And it was awesome! The waiter was very friendly and kindly explained all the details about the food, ingredients etc. He also mentioned that 80% of the food is organic. There just a few non-vegan options, and the dishes containing gluten are marked as well. I tried a simple dish - rice with tofu and it still was super delicious. They also make fresh juices right in front of you! Too bad we only got to visit it once. If you are ever around this restaurant make sure to give it a try, i'm pretty sure you won't regret it!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Lots of vegan options
PhoenixDraper
PhoenixDraper

GREAT VEGAN!!!

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Oh my gosh, this is SUCH GOOD FOOD!!! I have been going CRAZY trying to eat Vegan in Barcelona, but today I found the app for Happy Cow, it sent me to Zaatar...and wow, I'm just in heaven.

The food is fresh, lots of veggies, HUGE variety, great portions, absurdly good pricing (a dinner for two at $23 for this quality?!!?) SWEEEEEEET!!

Go eat there. GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT!! I'll be back tomorrow.

Pros: High quality Food, Fresh, homemade yummy menu, Excellent variety
mayabostonskaya
mayabostonskaya

delicious gluten free + vegan food

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2014

Super fresh, light, + delicious. I really liked their gluten free options, especially their buckwheat pancakes.

They also bake their own gluten free bread from scratch, and I was able to buy a whole loaf to take with me :)

On a few different visits, I've also tried their homemade vegan burger, Spinach salad + arame + tofu, and a few different veggie juices. Everything was excellent!

I highly recommend this place!

Pros: great gluten free options, delicious vegan options, fresh healthy juices
Lora
Lora

Paella without seitan

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

Hi,
we went to this restaurant on March 2014 because we had found it on happycow website.
Very disappointed because we ordered the paella but it was served without seitan. At that moment we thought that we had made a mistake so we appreciate this "paella" (quinoa with small pieces of vegetables and tomatoe salsa). When we left the restaurant we took a look at the menu outside to find our mistake but it was written paella with seitan. So we went back and ask the waitress about the seitan who answered us that it was "paella quinoa", then the man took part and told us it was with seitan. So i told him that i was used to cook seitan at home but i didn't notice the seitan in his paella, he insisted and told me it was small pieces in the salsa.
My partner and I ate the paella and both of us know that that paella was without seitan.
It was maybe the bad day to order this paella but it was not a reason to lie.

Pros: Menu, Location, Nice waitress
Cons: Liar
AroundTheWorld
AroundTheWorld

great fresh juices

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

I dinnered there on April 2014 and discovered the best vegan food option in Barcelona. Fresh mix juices are excellent, I tried one with green vegetables and it was amazing and uncommon. Staff was really care about us and food was good, except the rice which taste was a bit bitter. I will come back

Pros: excellent fresh juices
Cons: rice was bitter
Asfaloth
Asfaloth

Great find!

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

I didn't have high hopes for vegan food coming to Barcelona, how wrong I was! This was my closest vege/vegan place to where I was staying, so I have been three times, never disappointed.

Pros: The juices are amazing, Great selection of vegan options, English menus & staff speak English
Cons: Food sometimes lacked some flavour
hack_man
hack_man

A Golden Nugget

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

After dishing out 5 Happy Cows to a few places in Warsaw towards the end of 2013 I am now doing the same in Barcelona. Everything fully deserved. This amazing restaurant is 5 Cows all the way to freedom. The pride oozes in this place, the owner is so grateful of your decision to dine here and his information and social interaction is so cool. I wish I had a place like this. The food? Oh yes, it is amazing. We had a crazily delicious pate with house flatbread to start followed by seitan with a mushroom and sesame sauce and a vegan lasagne. Absolutely sublime. Subliminal. Great organic wine, wonderful surroundings and atmosphere. This place is unequivocally 100% on the vegetarian Barcelona agenda.

Pros: Surroundings, food, Friendly
RalphGrove
RalphGrove

Great food! Fresh, original, healthy

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

I very much enjoyed dinner at Zaatar, including appetizer, quinoa paella, juice, and carob cake. The food is original, fresh and tasty. At least half of the menu was vegan and there were many interesting options. I look forward to my next visit. Service was prompt and friendly.

Shaya
Shaya

Great Veggie Restaurant in Barcelona

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

We found Zaatar on line and visited there last week. The place is calm and clean and owned by the sweetest Israeli guy. He has created a warm atmosphere where great food and fantastic service are top priorities. We would have loved to go back but just didn't have time.The portions were a bit small for our big appetites so we would recommend ordering appetizers first. The desserts were also delicious.
Loved it!

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Didn't like that much

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

I was really excited to visit Zaatar because of the reviews here, but I left missing some flavor.
The starters were REALLY good. The zaatar bread is awesome and the hommus and alikes were very good too.
But the main dish, something of a quinoa paella, tasted very artificial, like it was made with fake lemon juice. And the dessert was so sweet that I almost could not finish it.
But it could be just me. Give a try and figure for yourself.

Pros: very good starters, friendly staff
Cons: main dish not good
laurute
laurute

to recommend

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

Excellent and sophisticated food, attentive staff. It was our first try in our holiday in Barcelona and we are very satisified!

Pros: sophisticated food, good food, attentive staff
Blueberries
Blueberries

Delicious, wholesome food

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

For starters we had za'atar flatbread with dips and vegetable soup with mixed seeds, mains were veggie meatballs with rice and quinoa paella and the desserts were carob and hazelnut cake and a coffee cream. We also had a beer and a large, freshly made juice.

All of the food was very good, quite wholesome and a little bit health-foody but delicious.

Service was prompt and the staff were very polite (we were the only people there on a Saturday afternoon).

Prices were fairly reasonable, we had the à la carte menu as the fixed menus aren't available at the weekend.

Pros: lots of labelled vegan options, incl. dessert, polite staff, fresh juices
Cons: not all vegan
Harp
Harp

Great value

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

A wonderful new place in Barcelona that offers Middle Eastern cuisine with organic and seasonal products. Things which are remarkable:

- The food, taste and quantity, is great value for money.
- Local and fairtrade products are used whenever is possible.
- The vegan dishes and those containing gluten are clearly marked in the menu.
- Super-friendly staff.

Highly recommended!

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, Vibe
spanz
spanz

Try it!

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2013

I've just been there for dinner to this awesome restaurant recently opened. The food is excellent, a creative fare with a middle eastern touch and many vegan options. Everything is fresh and homemade with organic local ingredients as much as possible. The staff is very friendly and the place is nice, with very good musical selection. It is also good value, so I will definitely come back.

Pros: excellent food, great staff, nice vibe
arherron
arherron

brand new and excellent

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant when it was only five days old! Vegan dishes are clearly marked, the menu is considered and inspired, and the atmosphere is calm and refined. The meal of the day is 12.50 for three courses and garlic bread and wine/water. It's a lovely, tasty place which I recommend to everyone. The juice list is long and the staff are very knowledgable And friendly. I believe an English language menu is coming soon. The paella was divine but there's lots of choice.

Pros: delicious food with a wide choice, tasteful decor and lovely staff, vegan dishes are plentiful and clearly marked

Dear Owner and Manager of Zaatar Vegetariano: